What to look for in a Chrono?

Jamie Young

Where do you buy these things and what should I look for? Or whats the difference? I have absolutely ZERO experience with them and I think its time to get one.

WESHOOT2

PACT ONE or OEHLER

Look for separate skyscreens/head unit, so WHEN you accidently shoot it (you will shoot it) the parts aren't too pricey LOL.

If you have a writing implement and paper you can write down collected data, thereby saving the expense of buying one that includes printer functions.
Some also include more computer-type crap, but only you can decide how far you want to go with features (and cost).

Very best = Oehler

Very good = PACT, Competitive Edge Dynamics

bowhnter

I asked this a few weeks ago. I looked at the pact 1. Oehler is out of my $$$ range. I found one that I think I'll buy soon. It's the CED Milleniun Chronograph. You can see it here or here at Dillon. I especially like the fact that you can DL data directly to your PC. The IR adaptor is pretty cool too. Let me know if you get this soon. I saw one at the range last week. I can't wait.

Gewehr98

One warranty feature you may not expect to use...

At least, in the Chrony, is their replacement policy if you put a bullet hole in it.:(

Hopefully, that won't happen. I came close, shot out the skyscreens of mine.

jjmorgan64

Chrony won't replace

I just got mine back, had a cheap BB pistol(pull the lever and it loads itself) that loaded 2 bb's on one shot, one went through the chrony right, and one went through the lcd screen in the front of it:mad:
called and had a new lcd quoted, shipped it in, called them a month later they said oh yeah it's right here, it was totaled:( (this from one half powered BB) anywho they sold me a new one at a discount as their only option (an alpha master for 75 bucks i believe, i got the one where the LCD is not what i'm aiming at)

Long story short, my chrony recomendation is "one without a bullet hole through it;)

swifter...

Don't buy one where the brains are in front of the muzzle!
The old saw about "2 kinds, those who have, those who will" applies here.

My PACT spent more time back at the factory than it did with me. PACT's customer service left much to be desired IMHO...

I think the Oehler is the best buy out there. :D

Tom

I have seen several chronographs shot, so I don't think I am above doing that. But I couldn't see myself using all the many features offered on the higher end chronos. I am interested in simply seeing the velocity of my loads. I don't really care about standard deviation, extreme spread, printers etc. I am a lot more interested in the accuracy of the load on paper. So, I bought the bottom of the line Chrony. I paid $44 for it, so if an accident happens, it won't be a huge loss. One of my priorities in buying a chronograph was to get one that was as simple as possible. I didn't want something that was such a pain to load in the car and set up that I wouldn't want to use it. The little Chrony works for me. I just leave it in the back seat of my pickup along with most of my shooting gear (I shoot almost every day). You simply unfold it, turn on the switch, and shoot. Most of the time I don't even put the sun shades on it. If I was going to buy a more feature intensive unit, I would get the one that allows you to measure pressure in addition to everything else.

stans

I have used a Chrony for a long time. In fact, when I bought mine there were two models. One read in feet per second and the other model in meters per second. Mine has given me ten years of reliable service. I have had to replace the light diffusers, it is amazing what a .451" bullet will do to them, and the 9 volt battery. Speaking of batteries, I have found that most of the problems my Chrony has developed were due to a weak or old battery.

DaHaMac

I am also interested in getting a chrony and was wondering where would you all shop for one.

I know Midway carries some, but who carries the Oehler's and so forth.

Thanks

Tol

Keep in mind that if you want to figure Standard Deviation and such on your shots all you have to do is get a $10 scientific calculator. You don't have to know the slightest bit of math to get all of the numbers that the higher end chronos are figuring for you. Just read the calculator directions, punch in the numbers, and it'll spit out what you need. It really is as easy as it sounds. I would strongly recommend Texas Instruments for ease of use. Feel free to drop a note if I can help.

Bill Adair

I've used chronographs with and without printers, and I find the printer useful in more ways than one.

I wouldn't be without one!

Bill

Clint Tickler

I have had the Chrony Master Beta for about 4 years now and it has given me zero problems. It has the remote display and can store six strings of ten shots.
Knock on wood but I have yet to shoot mine and have even set it up at 100 yards to see what I was loosing in velocity at that distance. Granted, I did that with a rifle and scope combo that I consistently shoot 1/2" groups with so I knew where the bullet was going. About 100 for the Chrony and 50 for the tripod.

fpotter

I have the CED Millenium and it's flawless. And it does hook kup to your computer (I have a Mac, but it's PC friendly as well) and it has a computer program that does all kinds of stuff, like keeping a record of reloads and matching them to the performance in the field.

I'm taking it out to the range on Wednesday with 16 different combinations of bullets and powder. I expect to learn a lot.

Frank

Frank Iacono

Chrony

I have a Chrony. I just wanted to check various loads. I don't know how I've been reloading for alll these years without one. I bought the F-1 which is standard model. I modified it slightly by putting thick plexiglass covers over both the front digital readout/photo cell and the rear photocell (under the second sky screen). This will protect the internals from wads, bb's,paintballs and muzzle blast. Of course it is useless against a bullet. You can mount the Chrony on a standard camcorder/camera tripod about 10-12 feet from the firing line. You can set up a spread sheet to figure standard deviation for each 10 shot string. This number is more important than average velocity.

Peter M. Eick

I hope you will be happy. Me, I am very pleased with the Oehler 35P my wife bought me for Xmas. Great unit and sure is easy to use. Especially with the nice little printouts to put with the boxes.