What to expect if I trade my M1A for an AR in .308

ronc0011

I have been thinking of trading my Springfield M1A for an AR in .308 but I am unsure what I should expect by way of value. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to trade straight across? I have looked on Gunbroker and my rifle is listing around $1300 to $1500 without the scope. I was at the gun show last weekend and saw a DPMS for $1200 new without the scope.

Just trying to get a feel for what the market is also doing the homework on quality, reliability, durability etc.

SR420

When was your Springer made? What, if any parts are USGI?
How many rounds fired? What stock is it in? More details are needed.

ronc0011

I bought it last year NIB.
Have fired maybe 3 or 4 boxes through it.
Synthetic stock
The scope is a Leupold Rifleman 3-9 X 40
The scope mount is an A.I.M.S

m1ascoped.jpg

ronc0011

Actually I love this rifle except for ONE thing. It’s heavy and the primary roll I see for this rifle is as a SHTF tool. I continue to live in our little utopian construct where we go to the mall and our daily aggravations are the traffic on the roads at Christmas time and keeping track of the bills and I hope to finish out my life in that reality, In fact, in the present reality I like to go hunting and to go to the range, I love shooting this rifle, it’s a toy, it’s entertainment, it’s a blast, but frankly I watch the world around me through the news and other sources and I start getting kind of nervous about the future ( the reason I bought this rifle in the first place ). So the one thing about his rifle that bothers me is the idea of packing it around all day every day. Also I’m not committed to anything yet, I’m just exploring possibilities. When I looked at that DPMS chambered in .308 the first thing I noticed was the difference in weight. (Their new tactical version was really cool) The guy at the show said DPMS just got a contract to supply the military with their new tactical model chambered in .308. Anyway I am a newbe where the AR is concerned but I have to say the rifle fit very nicely and like I said it was considerably lighter. So the question is one of quality, accuracy and robustness. First concern is performance.

AK103K

If your trading with a dealer, figure on them giving you about half of what they are going for in trade. You may do a little better if you do a lot of business with the dealer, but dont count on it.

Your best bet is to put it up on consignment or sell it privately.

I recently sold my M1A SOCOM on consignment for $1300. The dealer took 10%. It took a little while, but it beat taking $800 outright for it.

shooter_john

Gunbroker.com will be MUCH better than trading, or you might find an individual that would trade straight up. I wouldn't let it go with the optics on an even trade, unless you are getting optics on your AR. I have a bull barreled 308 LR, and I love it. I sold my Polytech M14 because of my DPMS, but I stillwould like to have a M1a again someday.

ronc0011

I have a bull barreled 308 LR, and I love it. I sold my Polytech M14 because of my DPMS, but I stillwould like to have a M1a again someday.

So how did you do value wise. Did the LR cost you more than you got for the Polytech? Also what kind of accuracy do you get from the LR? What kind of groups will it deliver at 100yrds?

shooter_john

I got my 308 LR for $800, as it was advertised as used. I could find no proof that it was used, and it sure as heck wasn't abused. I sold my Polytech for $850 w/ 5 or 6 mags. The DPMS averages around 3/4- 1" groups with Hornady TAP (red box), and my first handloads showed similar results. I haven't had a chance todo serious load work with it, but it shoots great.

rbrgs

Maybe an AR-10 in addition to, but not instead of. The M1A is definitely a better choice for SHTF; where are you going to get parts for the AR? I've shot both side by side: the AR-10 felt like it kicked more ('cause or the straight line stock), and was more accurate from the bench, but the M1A is more "shootable". (Full disclosure: I was happy with my AR-15 'till I bought an M1A, now it's my SHTF rifle. If it's really that bad, I'll put up with the weight).

bobn

oh boy this reply ought to put me on the moron list! i have owned two reloaded m1as, a national match m1a, three garands. and one ar10. what you will find is a less recoil, easier to scope, more accurate, easier shooting gun by far when you switch to a ar. bobn

ronc0011

I can certainly understand the loyalty factor where the M1A is concerned. There’s no question that I love the one I have but when it’s all said and done what I want is a good, dependable, reliable, and accurate rifle that’s easy to pack around and maneuver in tight places.

The accuracy issue is also something I’ve started to question between the two platforms. I know that the M1A will hold a reasonable battlefield MOA, but from what I read the AR will hold a significantly tighter MOA. My problem is that I don’t have any first hand experience with the AR. Also the M1A requires significant work and care to bring that MOA down to an inch or better. The reason I want that kind of accuracy is because if I have 1 MOA that means that at 300 yrds we’re talking a 3” group. If we’re talking about 3 MOA then we have a 9” group at 300yrds. At this point a good hit is getting a little iffy. I also want it to still be hitting in the same place when I snap in that second 20rnd magazine.

SR420

I have a real nice tricked out AR-10A4 SPR and a bunch of M14s.
I feel no love for the AR, thus it is unfired. I have decided to move
my AK47 type rifles to the front of the line, keep my M14s in reserve
and sell off my AR-10 so that I can buy more AKs. That's what I'm doing.

do yourself a big favor and read Boston's Gun Bible. A big chunk of this book (800+ pg) is devovoted to what the author considers the most valuable tol to liberty- .308 battle rifles. He dissed the Armalites big time, came in last in his rankings. M1A's came out on top. It really has me fired up to learn how to shoot 500 yards. i grew up on Mini's so M1A should be the logical choice in my case, but i find them (std) too long oAL and heavy. FAL also too long but a nice balance. HK 91/ Cetme types have the AR length but feel unweildy. A AR-10 16" A2 Carbine was the most comfortable and also a familiar, user friendly system. I was interested in that for later on (never) esp. when the .260 came out (lacking military issue or billions of rounds out there, but seemed a nice all around choice, this was before i found the ballistics on a 6.5 Grendel in a standard, lightweight AR-15 carbine).
I have been saving all I can for a M1A sOCOM or Bush. my second choice would be a DSA in the FN 50.63 or 64 config. (para with 21").
The HK and FAL mags can be had for like $3.00.
It's the gas impingement system on the 10. Maybe the will/do now make a piston system conversion as some ar-15 suppliers are.

Too bad there is no cheap .308 carbine/BR that accepts FAL mags. The SSG-97/PSL in .308 is close as they come at an affordable price. Maybe the Kel tec bullpup...

rbrgs

My M1A has iron sights (I live in a rain forest--a scope is often useless), and while I agree the the AR-10 platform is more accurate, I can get better hits from field positions with the older stock design. This may be more about what you're used to or how your body is shaped than a rifle thing.
An AR-10 in addition to an M1A is a good thing (th AR is a better platform if you want to use a scope all the time; one way to make an M1A lighter is to live with the iron sights), an AR-10 instead of an M1A is a bad thing. Again, as a SHTF rifle, the M1A is a the result of generations of development, starting with John Garand and the M1, to make the best battle rifle. The new AR-10s are all really SR-25s (i.e., designed by Gene Stoner to use 80% AR-15 parts). Were just starting on the debugging process with this design; wait a couple of wars.
The original question concerned a SHTF rifle; the AR-10 is just not the right choice. An FAL or HK91 would be OK too, especially if you shoot better with a pistol grip, or even a CETME. I agree, read "Boston's Gun Bible".

velocette

What you should expect

What should you expect trading your M1a for an AR10.
1, Expect tighter groups, the AR 10 from the factory is more accurate. To get an M1a to group as well you must spend a lot of money.
2, Expect quicker follow up shots, the AR 10 straight line stock does not rise as much in recoil as the M1a. (one of the reasons the M14 was a failure as an automatic battle rifle.)
3, If you reload, expect much better case life. Typical case life for an M1a is three reloadings. Beyond that you is on yore own. AR 10, has a much tighter chamber, thus works the brass much less which equal longer brass life.
4, Expect a far wider range of accessories, goodies, doodads, bells, whistles and more for the AR.
5, Expect to be able to safely use all factory .308 ammo. M1a rifles are well known to function best with powders of medium burn rates ( H or IMR 4895 is a known good start) M1a rifles are also known to damage themselves if the wrong powder or load is used. (read slow burning powders with heavy bullets) Bent operating rods are a common result of the slow powders.
6, Expect that your AR10 will be US made. no chinese made major parts.
7, Expect that it will be easy to mount optics of an enormously wide range on your AR 10. Not even remotely so with the M1a.\
8, Expect that you will be using a more modern design firearm, benefiting from many years of advancing firearms design & metallurgy.
9, Expect that there will be many that will disagree with some or all of the above. In many cases, tradition trumps innovation.
10, Expect that you will regret trading / selling you M1a at some time in the future. You really need both.

Roger

DnPRK

If you get an .308 AR-style rifle, be sure to get a free floated hand guard. While I like M-1As (got 2 of 'em), they aren't nearly as accurate as my 308 ARs.