What to do with this one: AR-10

dvdcrr

Anybody making good barrels that would fit an Armalite AR-10(B) series rifle? Mine is not shooting as good as I would like. I am talking about replacing a 16" stainless midlength gas with either a lightweight 16" or a stainless lightweight 18".

DnPRK

What do you mean by "not shooting as good as I would like?"

Big groups? Flyers? Doesn't feed? Doesn't extract? Doesn't cycle the action?

Give us a description of the rifle. Is it free floated? Optics?

stagpanther

Big bangers with short barrels/gas systems--make for a harder to balance system--or one defaulted for trading punches with the shooter. ; )

LineStretcher

Check Brownells, they have some of their own branded barrels that are quite good and reasonably priced. It's pretty obvious that others dont know the AR10. Yours was standard with a mid length gas tube but should have a rifle length buffer tube,spring and a H2 buffer. Going to a 18" barrel will likely put you into a rifle length gas system. The only drawback to that might be dented case necks and it may not lock open on an empty mag. The upside will be improved accuracy and you may be able to get by with a H1 buffer. I have a DPMS LR style .308 with a 20" Brownells barrel and JP Adjustable gas block that runs well and shoots very well out to 400 yards.
Anybody making good barrels that would fit an Armalite AR-10(B) series rifle? Mine is not shooting as good as I would like. I am talking about replacing a 16" stainless midlength gas with either a lightweight 16" or a stainless lightweight 18".

Last edited:

BWM

Try by replacing the trigger with a Timney or Velocity and there is other out there that looks like the 2 that I said get a 3 lb pull makes a gun grope close up fast. I have them in all of my AR,S and some of my other long guns

T. O'Heir

How WELL do you expect it to shoot with a carbine length barrel? What ammo are you using?
"...Is it free floated?..." Floating guarantees nothing. And optics will not make a rifle that doesn't shoot WELL with irons, do so.