What to do with this little guy.

deerslayer303

This little Galesi got left in a truck tool box for a good long while. It runs great, just looks terrible. Need some opinions on how to give it a good refinish on the cheap. I had thought about blasting it then paint. But spray paint doesn't hold up well in my experience. Even baked on engine enamel likes to chip easily.
3b37fe0be803df3a3da89025f0544b6d.jpg
2283121e19b0ccb9db13623ffed4dde2.jpg

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

If it were mine I'd be tempted to try my hand at Cerakote.
With fifty bucks for the kit, and a little work you might end up with a cool little pistol.
Having it done would probably cost more than it is worth.

Bill DeShivs

That appears to be a post-1968 pistol with a US-made zinc frame. If so, paint is your only practical option. A magnet will tell you. Italian Galesis were all steel.

Wreck-n-Crew

Yeah she will need a good bead blast to clean her up and Cerakote is some tough stuff. Not sure if can be blued after the chrome is removed or not. Some treatment of metals used for chrome/nickle plating might affect how the blue takes. Someone with more bluing experience might be able to tell you more. If possible might be a good option to Cerakote.

Snyper

Can I even sand blast zinc?
You can sand blast anything if you are careful and don't get too close

Personally, I'd sand or bead blast it GENTLY, coat it with Zinc Chromate primer, and then paint with a high temp enamel

Bill DeShivs

I think the curing temperature of the gun paints will be OK.
Be VERY careful blasting the frame. I would file hand sand the bad spots and then clean/paint it.

Marty8613

With sand blasting or bead blasting, pressure is the key. I learned the hard way cleaning aircraft brake housings in the USAF. Ever see aluminum rust because bead blasting imbedded iron in it due to too high pressure? A setting of about 15lbs was enough to clean the paint off a soda can without touching the aluminum.

80lbs sure cleaned brake housings fast, but, as you see above; it got me 're-trained'.

Wreck-n-Crew

You might find a matte finish more pleasing to the eye over a gloss finish too. Harbor freight has a little bead blaster for around $20 that works well. They also have media...yet take caution on media too. Just like too much pressure you don't want too rough a media either. The Glass bead "fine" should do.