what to do with Hi-Power safety?

e'ville

I really like my BHP .40 S&W except for the thumb safety. Compared to a 1911 it's barely there. It's not too difficult to disengage but to flip it up may take two tries. It simply doesn't stick out very much. Will I eventually get the habit of using it or should I get an aftermarket safety? Any experience out there? Thanks.

------------------
Mark
NRA member

Cat

REPLACE IT!
REPLACE IT!
REPLACE IT!
Does this sound like I'm not happy with the stock Mark II safety?
This is a part that must have been retro- designed after JMB died.
I used one from Cylinder & Slide and couldn't be happier.
Neil Casper

Prof

e'ville: I, too, have trouble with the HP safety. Wayne Novak makes his own HP safeties and I hear they are more like the 1911. Cylinder and Slide also has a good one. Visit their websites to check prices, etc.

Hard Ball

You can either replace it or use the SAS technique. They solved the safety problem by carrying their HPs cocked with the safety off!

Country Boy

I'm on the other side of the fence. I haven't heard of too many people getting into trouble because they couldn't get their safety ON fast enough. If you can snick it OFF all the time, everytime, I wouldn't worry. But if you are not happy and confident with it, replace it.

Mike Davies

I just installed an extended thumb safety from Gun Parts Corp (Numrich)on my '73 Browning HP. Costs $15. It is just about the same as the C&S safety, and a heckuva lot cheaper. VAST improvement over the original.

Coronach

I'll ditto CountryBoy on this one. I couldn't care less if it takes two hands to put the thing back ON. I want to be able to flick it OFF easily. And I can.

Also, consider the fact that bigger safeties PROBABLY mean more snag/fumble/accidental-switching potential. Probably. I'm unfamiliar with the C&S mod.

All added together, I am perfectly happy with my stock mkIII safety. It flicks off. It doesn't hang up on things. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mike

PS the more I think about it, I LIKE the two-handed safety-on procedure. Very deliberate. Of course, for me it is an old habit from my very first pistol. :)

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Mike Davies

Mark:
The safety is a drop-in for the Browning HP...unlike a 1911, which requires some work.
Just remove the slide/barrel assembly, drive out the sear retaining pin, remove the sear. It's under tension, so be ready to catch the sear. Pivot the ejector plate down and pull out the safety. Reassembly is a bit tricky, as you have to hold the hammer back under tension to reassemble the sear and pin. Do it once, and you'll see that it's also much easier to detail strip and reassemble than a 1911.
Mike
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e'ville:
Are the safeties difficult to install? Do I need a smith?

[/quote]

Mike Davies

Coronach:
The GPC extended thumb safety is quite tiny, and snag proof. It is about 3/4" long x about 1/8" wide, with deep serrations. It also has a much better appearance than the standard FN large thumb safety. I have practised draws from my CLS belt holster and the new safety does not cause any problems whatsoever. I had a lot of difficulty with the original 'button' safety, and usually couldn't release it with my right thumb. Plus it tended to make my thumb stay on the side of the slide...that saw-toothed bottom edge of the slide would then do a number on the inside of my thumb...<g>
To each his own, of course...as you say, if it works for you, leave it alone. In my case, the extended safety works better for me.
Mike

railroader

I just got my extended safety from gun parts corp. They are not quite as nice as the ones from cylinder and slide but they are a whole lot cheaper. The GPC safety has alot of sharp edges and corners which I filed off then reblued with cold blueing. Also it took alittle fitting but not much before I put it in my FM highpower. Also Mark if you take the grips off, and cock the hammer you can take out the sear spring. Then lower the hammer. With the spring out it should be pretty easy to push out the pin for the sear. Just rock the hammer as you push the pin out.When you get all back together, cock the hammer and put the sear spring back. It's easier this way when you are trying to put it back together, no tension on the sear.

Ever think about replacing it with Browning's own ambidextrious safety? I did for myself, my brother and my buddies. Everyone agrees it's substantial and very positive. When I bought ours (years ago), Browning sent the parts and the bill followed later. Now that's class.

BTW, I'm somewhat leery of aftermarket products though some are quite good.