What to do? Sig 229 or Glock 23...

Sixer

I'm having a tough time with this one... Let's say I have a gen. 3 Glock 23 and a SA/DA Sig P229 (.40sw).

Just a few quick considerations ... I shoot both equally well, neither are my primary CCW, the Glock is a few years newer with a lower round count but the Sig is in excellent shape. I am the second owner of the Sig and original owner of the Glock. I reload my own ammo but have a Storm Lake barrel in the Glock. The resell or trade value would likely be higher on the Sig. If I was going to trade / sell one of them the funds would go towards a decent 1911.

If you HAD to part with one or the other which would it be?

MEATSAW

If you like the SIG you'll kick yourself for selling it. On the other hand you will likely NOT regret selling off your Glock. My 2¢.

flinch444

The sig and the glock are both fine pistols, but i would sell them both.
Once you get a decent 1911, you will more than likey fall in love with the 45, and wont regret at all dumping the 40s. Just my opinion.

MLeake

For me, I can usually shoot Glocks and SIGs equally accurately, if I really work at it.

I have to work harder to shoot the Glock, though, because its ergonomics don't suit me as well.

All things being equal, I'd get rid of the Glock.

However, I am currently selling my own P229 to a friend. It's grip doesn't really suit me, either. As SIGs go, I really like the P220 and P239; the P229 is sort of a bastard stepchild for me.

Both the G23 and P229 are good guns, accurate and controllable... but I like comfortable and instinctive. Neither the G23 nor the P229 fit those descriptions for me, personally.

If either of these are comfortable and instinctive for you, keep it. If neither of them are, unless you are collecting for the sake of collecting, sell both and buy a higher grade 1911.

Cheers,

M

ZeSpectre

Which one does the OP shoot better?
Which one does the OP shoot more?

That'd probably be the one to keep.

(For me that'd be the SIG and the Glock would go).

Once you get a decent 1911, you will more than likey fall in love with the 45, and wont regret at all dumping the 40s.
And many would agree with you. I'm in the opposite camp. I like my 1911 pistols just fine but they are "range guns" for me and the SIG is my constant companion.

cookhj

I have both a sig 228 and a G23 and both are great pistols. I don't plan on getting rid of either because they both have some sentimental value to me, but in your position I would get rid of the sig. I shoot my glock better than the sig.

I too want to get a nice 1911, however I have my eye on a CZ SP01.

rsxr22

Definitely keep the Sig. Glock's are great guns, but i would never have a problem getting rid of any of mine except for the G22 my dad bought me as my first gun. Sig is very high quality gun as is the G23, but the Sig is more accurate. Having the after market barrel for the G23 definitely helps, but still i would stick with the Sig. Round count doesnt really matter and being the second owner is not an issue either

amprecon

I don't care for Sigs, so it's a no brainer for me. Whichever one feels better and shoots better would be the one I'd keep if I were indifferent.

Sixer

Thanks for the input guys. I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable with the possibility of parting with my Glock. I never planned on selling it, but I stumbled across this Sig and couldn't turn it down.

I will add that this Glock was / is the first handgun I've ever owned. It's a great gun but I don't feel that it carries any real sentimental value... Of course that may change after it's gone :(

I just wish I could have my cake and eat it too! Unfortunately I don't see myself being able to keep them both AND still afford a 1911 (which I've REALLY wanted for some time now!) At least not in the near future.

Anyhow, no decisions have to be made immediately... just considering my options. It does help to see such a one-sided response for keeping the Sig :)

fightingbard

I would go for a decent 1911, if I were you...
Glock and SIG are sure "enough" pistols but 1911 has one thing over them...(well at least IMHO)
Historical significance...:)
Oh and yes, I would let the Glock go..it will be around for some years... :D

All the best

lee n. field

If you HAD to part with one or the other which would it be?

Shot a Sig all of once. Have one Glock, that's too new for me to have much informed opinion of. That said...

The Glock is a "shooting appliance". Common as weeds, easy to replace.

rsxr22

well if it is your first gun, but carries no sentimental value, i wouldnt think twice of parting with it.

TRguy

bye Glock

Keep the Sig

Though me personally, they are both 40 S&W, I would get rid of them both for that reason and start over with 9mm and 45 combo

40 S&W best of two worlds? (Capacity and power) Not really great at either.

G19 (or M&P9) and a 1911; would have said P226 and 1911 but that is pricey

Ahhhh perfection combo

Last edited:

LordofWar

Even though I love my Glocks more than my SIGs but there's this thing called "SIG WITHDRAWL SYNDROME".

Every SIG owner who's sold his SIG gets it the instant you come home without it. It's a fact.