What to do about Case head seperation in a semi?

Josh

I have heard that if you reload a case to many time that you run the risk on case head seperation - the case is stuck in the chamber and the head ripped off. If you are using a semi like the AR10 in .308 and this happens can the average guy fix this problem?

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Josh, the easiest way I've ever found and it works everytime is to use toilet paper. Close the bolt. Using a wood dowel small enough to enter the cartridge mouth, push little wads of tp down the barrel tamping tightly until you have enough in for the tamped tp to be about 1/2" above the chamber. Really tamp it at this point. Once you have it as tight as you can get it. Open and lock the bolt to the rear, insert the dowel and smack it with a mallet. If it doesn't work the first time, try to pack it tighter the second. Before you ask, no, I'm not married to Heloise but I did date her for a while. George

Josh

George, By doing what you suggested, may I ask why you close the bolt? Why not just leave it out? Josh

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Josh, with the case head gone and the bolt open, the little balls of TP will just pass right on through. You have to have something to compress them against. George

Cheapo

Gee, what's wrong with a USGI broken case extractor? Since it grabs the case mouth, even the .30-06 versions will work in a .308.

Bought mine for 50 cents... or wazzit a buck and a half?

Best thing about this is the steel extractor groove/"rim" on the thing lets you get a mighty strong grip on things.

James K

Member In Memoriam
When all else fails or there is no broken shell extractor for the caliber, run a common tap CAREFULLY into the stuck case. This will cut into the case walls and can be tapped out with a cleaning rod from the front, bringing the case with it.

BTW, case head separation in any rifle can also be a sign of excess headspace. Resizing a case can also create excess headspace by making the cartridge too short, which has the same effect as a chamber that is too long.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited September 25, 2000).]

beemerb

Easest way I have found is take a brass bore brush.For 308 use a 45 size.Push it into the chamber and pull the case out.If you can't go straight in use a bent cleaning rod section.They come out just easy as can be doing it this way.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.