What to build? AR Platform

madmo44mag

I have no idea why I bought 2 AR stripped lowers. I have 2 AR’s now.
One was purpose built for distance with a YH stainless. fluted 20in bull barrel with optics to match, rifle gas system cambered in 5.56. Another in a 16in configuration with a reflex optic and a carbine gas system. Both use Magpul MOE butt-stocks, custom fire control groups, UTI foregaurds which has proven to be every bit as good as any high end foregaurds I have used or seen.
I have built many AR rifles for folks and enjoy building them.
The 2 rifles I have I enjoy and built for what I intended them for - long range and mid range shooting with weight and size being a factor.
I have no desires to build a pistol AR. Done that and really not that fond of them.
I don’t want to go through the hassles of a SBR tax stamp.
I’m not opposed to other calibers.
I don’t hunt any more so any build is for the fun of shooting.
So voice up some ideas.

waveslayer

I have no idea why I bought 2 AR stripped lowers. I have 2 AR’s now.
One was purpose built for distance with a YH stainless. fluted 20in bull barrel with optics to match, rifle gas system cambered in 5.56. Another in a 16in configuration with a reflex optic and a carbine gas system. Both use Magpul MOE butt-stocks, custom fire control groups, UTI foregaurds which has proven to be every bit as good as any high end foregaurds I have used or seen.
I have built many AR rifles for folks and enjoy building them.
The 2 rifles I have I enjoy and built for what I intended them for - long range and mid range shooting with weight and size being a factor.
I have no desires to build a pistol AR. Done that and really not that fond of them.
I don’t want to go through the hassles of a SBR tax stamp.
I’m not opposed to other calibers.
I don’t hunt any more so any build is for the fun of shooting.
So voice up some ideas.
Since you a have 5.56 have you looked into a 6.5 Grendel and 300 blackout?

I prefer the Grendel and use it a lot. It's a tack driver. I use the 300 blackout with a Can and it sounds like a BB gun. Just some thoughts , PM if you have any questions

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Ibmikey

Good suggestion by waveslayer, i have three rifles and a pistol in 300 Blackout and really love shooting the caliber. Of course to get full benefit from the 300 you must reload, i shoot only supersonic but going the other direction opens up a new idea in every day shooting. I keep my serious rounds in the 125 gr range and have taken some decent Texas hogs with it, for everyday plinking and such i often used pulled military bullets (150 gr) or whatever is available .....and....cheap.

SRH78

I am in pretty much the same boat. I currently have a 6x45 with 20" heavy barrel and a 16" 5.56 set up for close range work on 2 and 4 legged predators. I am currently building a 6.8 as a deer and hog gun and that is what I was going to suggest until I got to the part where you don't hunt.

Unless you are going to supressor it, I see no point in a 300 for paper punching unless you just want one which plenty of reason.

You could always build one in 22lr. Another option that would tempt me would be to build one in 6 PPC or 6 BR with a top quality barrel and shoot some tiny little groups. Another idea would be to build a lightweight 9mm.

rickyrick

If you're not going to do an SBR or pistol, then you are left with going to another caliber.
I've fired all kinds of guns through the years, but have never had more fun than with an AR pistol..... That's ok if you don't like them though.

I'm really itchy for 300bo but wanting to try to save money

madmo44mag

As usual my e-mail box was full today with gun adds and one of them was a 5.56 side charger upper. Different and looks like fun. I know it would would be a great on my scoped rifle as I had to use an extra over sized charging handle to clear the scope.
9mm has been on the radar for a long time. I have a buddy that built one and I loved it. Not as cheap to build as a 5.56 but ammo is a lot cheaper.
I do re-load multi calibers and 9mm is one I load regularly.
I would love a .458 socom but ammo is just to costly to punch paper with and besides my 44 magnums would get real jealous if I put a large caliber rifle in the safe.
I have given a lot of thought to the 6 PPC or 6 BR, but brass cost are prohibitive.
The 300AAC is a real possibility.
I don’t hunt any more but ammo is not as cost prohibitive as some others.

Mobuck

I don't see the 300 as being really practical unless you want to go suppressed. It's cute and accurate but short on range and on target energy.
On the other hand, I'm fairly well satisfied with my 6.8. It's accurate, powerful, and gives these advantages w/o beating up the shooter or the platform(like the bigger cals. do).

surveyor

Are there any other calibers you load for that could share some components with?
That was my deciding factor.

I went with something I didn't have to give up any case capacity with, and used shared components. 223 brass, 6 mm projectiles.

400 +/- fps slower using 13 gr less powder than my other 6 mm/243 was a compromise I could live with.

Yes I'll have to fireform cases, but I'm doing it for a education. Otherwise a straight neck up would be simpler brass prep.