What the &%$@Is wrong with this 870?!

Lavid2002

Im about to snap....My buddy has an 870, brand new. 3" synthetic stock.....and its driving me INSANE! First to start...the action was really stiff, locking when rearward, and being snug whilst in the chamber. I told my buddy, its normal. Just break it in remington puts a substance on their guns to prevent rust. shoot it and break it in. About 150 shotshells later the shotgun still locks up in the chamber. Making it impossible to rack the action with one hand. I noticed the bolt moves fine (The locking lug is dis-engaged and the bolt begins to moce rearward when the forearm is pulled but stops about 1/8"Later when the extractor finally catches the rim of the shotshell) but the cartridge is whats getting stuck. I did a stock slam and it freed up. When we got home I took a bore brush on a drill to wear the chamber a bit and allow shotshells to slide out alright since I figured a new, tight chamber was the problem. No dice. Now after the shooting the locking lug fails to dis-engage when the trigger is pulled on a live cartridge(None of this happens when dry firing). You have to manually press the locking lug release to rack the action and discard the spent casing. My buddy said, "I wish I never bought this gun" Remington...Im dissapointed. This has been used for waterfowling if it makes a difference. Cleaned often nearly after every trip! Please help me im about to chuck this gun in the bay myself.
Dave

Edward429451

I agree, try different ammo. My Wingmaster 870 acted like that one time. PMC slug ammo. Gave away the rest of the PMC and it hasn't done it since.

Rigby1962

Always hard to guess what gremlins are haunting a gun without seeing it. Besides different ammo try a different barrel if you have one. If a different barrel works might be something up with the chamber. Also take it apart look for anything that might look out of place like bad marring of parts. I have never had a problem with any ammo in my 870.

Last edited:

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
First, read the manual and follow the directions of what to do before shooting it.

Basically, it needs to be stripped down and soaked in lube to remove the rust preventative coating.

Then, if there's still issues, try different ammo.

I get asked a variant of this about once a week, Doing the above clears up almost all probs.

JBriggs

Had the same problem once in a 870 3 1/2 express magnum. It did exactly what you described for about 300 rounds. My gunsmith and I could never figure out what was causing the lock up. Time and 300 rounds finally made things loose. From what you say, however, it may seem that simply putting shells through the gun is not enough to loosen things up. If I was in your shoes, I send it back to Remington b/c they still have decent customer service.

classic095

Lock up

Dont know what ammo ya using, but if it is Winchester Superspeeds, stop useing it.. We have more trouble with pump guns getting stuck with those loads. Also scrup a dub the chamber real good, Try useing Federal shotshells, no problems with them..

Lavid2002

Yeah....

weve mized up the ammo from black cloud 3" mags to X-Pert Hi-velocities in waterfowling...to remmy gun clubs on the skeet range. Its been getting better. Ill soak it like you suggested. Hope it works. Well take it to the range...Duck ssn is over but ill see if it works with skeet loads as well as the 20 HV steel loads I have left....Might as well use em on clays theyl just rust in the safe until fall. : D Im going this sunday Ill let you know what happens.

UniversalFrost

I am a remington fan, but the new aluminum 870 is a joke.

First is this the aluminum framed model?

If so, gunbroker is a good place to sell it and then buy an older steel framed model.

Second, strip the sucker completely apart and clean, clean, clean and clean some more.

This is also a good chance to inspect for damaged parts or possibly incorrectly machined/stamped parts (had a part on a trigger group from an 835 that needed to be deburred and then it worked and still works perfectly).

If you can't find anything wrong send it back to remington for repair. As long as you didn't do too much home gunsmithing they will usually repair for free or little cost, but if you exasperated the problem it will cost you.

Also, plus 1 for the federal shells. I normally shoot winchester factory loads for every thing else, but federal is the way to go in shotgun shells, had zero problems with federal, but winchester is hit and miss with all my guns from my citori, 1187, 1100, 870, 500, 835 in 12 ga and my 16ga Browning A5 and mossy bolt action to my ancietn stevens bolt and ithaca sxs in 20ga. Remington shot shells are overpriced and same quality as federal.

JOE

JOE

Last edited:

Gbro

I would try and cycle the empty hull in another 870.
Also smoke a empty and cycle it and you may see the tight spot.

DPris

Member Emeritus
No, new 870s do not get a coating of rust preventive material, and they do not need to be stripped down & soaked in lube. :)
Denis

Lavid2002

It might be aluminum....

I dont understand why aluminum is worse....My chamber has been really tight during duck hunting season too (H&R 12 gauge pardner pump action)...A problem I didnt have last year. So my shotgun has been locking up in the chamber making me take 3 REALLY hard stock slams too free up the cartridge. Ill try the bore brush in the barrel again running oil through it....Maybe Ill have more luck this time. Ill also try the spent shotshell trick. See where the tight spot is. But what about the action? Why do I have to mannualy press the release??? Im going to fool with it and REALLY clean the heck out of it tonight. Well see whats up I know I can get this thing to work it just has a few hickups.

UniversalFrost

the aluminum framed models will have wear issues over time (s&W aluminum framed shotguns are notorious for this).Fit and finish looks piss poor to me on the newer guns (wonder if they farmed out all the cheaper models to some 3rd world gunmaker). The higher end models still are excellent.

Just looked at one of the 870 super mags the other day and was suprised and how sloppy it felt when cycling the action and the thing was just too light (synthetic stocked) and the lOP was setup for a kid and the buttstock was very narrow and small which is not what you want in a shotgun if you will be shooting 3.5" mags. Wide and large butt helps to distribute the recoil over a larger surface area, which makes felt recoil much more manageable.

island66

I would think the culprit might be a small burr on the rim cut of your chamber. It's a fairly common malfunction with those shotguns and can easily be cured by shipping the gun to your nearest Remington Authorized Repair Center. If that's not the issue, their gunsmiths should be able to diagnose and fix the problems easily. If you need info on where to send/take it, call 800-243-9700. They can get you taken care of.

On a separate note...Frost, where in the world are you getting your information? There has never been an 870 built with an aluminum receiver...ever. They're still machined from 4140 steel in upstate NY.

Jason

JBriggs

Just got another 870 not to long ago, and it is made out of steel. Confirmed with a magnet! Never seen one made from aluminum.

UniversalFrost

sorry, my bad I just spoke with a remington rep and they confirmed that the aluminum was not in the frame itself, but in the components they assemble (I.e. slide bar, trigger group parts etc....).

Anyway, almost as bad as MIM, unless you are using aluminum that is 7071 8085 or something hard like that.

ohwoody

Chamber problem.My son had the same problem with his slug barrel on his 20ga. No burrs just the chamber was to tight.Didnt matter what brand of ammo.Locked up so tight actually pulled the extractor through the rim of the shell casing...His solution... Trade Dad barrels.:eek: