What the heck?

SundownRider

Sometimes I don't get myself. I have been a fan of 40S&W for a very long time. Owned several different guns in said caliber, finally settling on a SIG P226.
Finally have a few extra bucks for a new firearm, and for whatever reason, I have 1911's stuck on the brain. I have owned three 1911's in the past, shot okay with them, but never kept them around long. I can't stand the takedown process, preferring the simplicity of my SIG. I don't know if I would use it for competition (IDPA), since I have a 9mm Beretta I use for that. I've reloaded for a dozen calibers, but never 45acp.
But lately, I have been doing nothing but research on them, trying to find the one that fits me and what I want, reading reviews, and comparing prices. Today I plan to travel to a couple of gunshops and look over the selection. (Springfield Loaded's have my eye right now.)

Is this the start of some sort of weird 1911 disease? I am at the point where if I don't get one soon, I will be seriously out of whack.

SilentHitz

Is this the start of some sort of weird 1911 disease?
Yes it is, I have 13 and the collection is growing. Buy one quick or ur brain will explode:p I liken them to potato chips, ain't no way I could have just one.:D

Dustin0

I have 2 right now a Taurus and Para. I think a Wilson for my next one. But it’s going to be a bit before I can afford that. Take a look at the Taurus I love mine.

twice barrel

Just for the heck of it, spend some time shooting an XD45 Tactical with 5" barrel. No pressure, just try it.

New diseases are available,

TB

SundownRider

I did own an XD40, and I did like it a lot, but my SIG fit my hand just a little bit better. I may take a serious look at those XDm's, though, thanks for the idea. I'm still leaning heavily to a 1911, though.

twice barrel

Reason I mentioned it is I recently reintroduced myself to "shooting" and have even ordered reloading equipment after being away from all of it for approximately 20 years. Used to just live & breathe it.

With my heart set on a 1911 I was astounded at the various offerings available today. Took my time poking around in a few local shops and sure liked the feel of the XD & XDm guns. Wanted something different this time around and I'd never owned either a .40 S&W or a .45ACP myself. Never a polymer frame pistol either. Since all the local shops indicated ammunition for the .40 was more readily available and because the XDm was marketed as a "match grade" model with adjustable grips I decided to give it a try.

I've run 600 rounds thru it now and have decided its worth investing in a trigger job and different sights. The jury is still out.

But...at my last shooting session another gent walked over and handed me his loaded XD45 Tactical and said shoot the clip up. All I can say is Wow!. Smoother/softer recoil compared to my 40. Didn't like the grip texture as much as my XDm but did like how the grip filled my hand a tad more. And the 1/2" increase in sight radius actually made a difference.

At any rate I'm waiting to see the 5" Tactical model come out with the XDm type grip with alternate backstrap choices or an XDm45 but with a 5" barrel.

But it sure quelled my quest for a 1911 in the immediate future.

TB

SundownRider

UPDATE

Went to a big store in the area, had nearly anything you could think of and a few you'd have a hard time remembering.
Felt up a Springer Loaded, very nice. Also held a Kimber, very nice as well. The S&W 1911's felt pretty good too, as did the SIG GSR's.
The basic Kimber went for about the same price as the Springer Loaded

Went to another shop and their selection was much more limited, but had representatives.
They had a Kimber STS II Stainless in the used case for $700. Didn't seem too beat up, although it looked like it had a few rounds through it. No idiot scratch, but that could mean either the former owner was very careful, or never broke it down for cleaning.

Still have the itch, more than ever, and a realization I need more money. This could get bad.

QBall45

Its a nasty bug...
Once ya catch it, there's no turning back.

An SA Loaded will serve you very well. I won't give up mine.
attachment.php

Last edited:

rduckwor

Take a serious look at the SIG GSR's. I use one for IDPA and it's a fine pistol.

THE S&W are good as well. Check the breechface for a machined "step" that will mark the brass before you buy one.

You should also look at the Dan Wesson's as well IF you can find one. They are possibly the best production 1911's available right now for a reasonable price (~1K).

stryder50

i think the 1911 is a disease. never shot a .45 but i have done some research and drooled over a few at the store which makes me want one even more! already have a .22 .38sp .40 and .44mag and hopefully soon a .45 will be joining them just need to arrow down the selection.

RickB

You will begin to question the need for other handguns. The reason for calibers other than .45 ACP. Grips made of something other than wood. If a gun's design is not based on principles developed by John Browning, you'll become suspicious. It's not a disease, but a way of life. ;)