What the heck is up with this????

LOUD

What the heck is up with this???? I recently bought a used 6mm Remington chambered Mauser. I fell in love with the figured walnut stock. This past Sunday I went to the range and fired the thing 5 times. I would have fired more but according to unwritten range rules when, a skeet competition is underway the rifle and pistol ranges are automatically closed. I was asked to stop before I could get the gun to group so I can't comment on accuracy. After looking at my cases I noticed something strange. All the cases were fire formed to the chamber with two distinct rings around the case. One just behind the shoulder and another about halfway down the body of the case, I hope this shows up in the photos. I had no trouble with extraction or signs of pressure. Is this a problem? what causes this? Your opinions will be appreciated..................LOUD

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 163

wpsdlrg

What caused it is a "ringed chamber". The "ring" impressions in the brass were formed by raised rings on the chamber walls.

Why the chamber rings exist, I do not know. I could speculate, but I won't.

Measure the outer dimensions of the fired cases, vs. newly sized brass, carefully. If no out-sized dimensions are noted, such as the diameter of the (bases) of the fired brass being excessively large, for example, then the chamber itself is not dangerously over-sized. If the condition of the barrel and receiver are fine, no bulges in the barrel, damaged receiver, etc......and the rifle functions just fine, then it is not necessarily something to get into a twist over. Take a good close look at the bolt lugs, as well. Might just be a somewhat poorly machined chamber.

Who manufactured this Mauser ? Is a commercial sporter, or a converted military rifle ?

LOUD

the gun is a custom job , pretty sure the action is a commercial sporter, supposed to be a Douglas barrel .....................LOUD

mehavey

The barrel & chamber are one (and Douglas makes an outstanding barrel). But the chamber is cut separately.
I'd take a chamber cast and measure the spots where you see the anomalies in the fired cases.

LOUD

I happen to have some cerrosafe(bismuth low temp alloy) to make a chamber cast . I wonder how this will effect my handloading, resizing cases and all .Should or could I have the chamber re -reamed? Don't think I need to mess with the headspacing.................LOUD

wpsdlrg

Do make a casting of the chamber and compare the dimensions to the specs for your cartridge. (That's why I suggested measuring the cases - it would provide the same data.) A chamber cast will give a better visual representation, though. Either way, you need to check the dimensions against the specs.

The chamber can be re-reamed. A finish reamer would probably be indicated, as long as the chamber is basically in spec (except for the ridges, of course).

I'm still thinking through what exactly could have caused this - I've never seen anything quite like it. (One ridge, or rough patch, due to a damaged reamer being used....but not two nice rings). I am guessing that the reamer used had two narrow, damaged portions....hence two rings. You'd think that whomever did this would know better - or care more about the job.

I would measure the fired cases over the rings and again above and below the rings. Second I would use flitz or JB bore cleaner on a shotgun mop and give the chamber a first class cleaning then fire a couple of more rounds and repeat the measurements. A set of quality calipers would be sufficient for the measurements. Whoever cut the chamber had to at least test fire the rifle and noted the problem, with that said it is possible to cut off a couple threads and rechamber if the fired cases bother you to look at them. You may have short case life too depending how bad the chamber boogers the cases. William

Jimro

Well, you could try to shoot it as is and see if it groups well enough for you. However, if it were my rifle, I'd get it fixed.

This is a gunsmith job, unless you own a metal lathe large enough to handle the job.

Barrel removal, cut off one full thread, recut barrel shoulder, use finish reamer to recut the chamber and reinstall.

You could have the gunsmith true the reciever face, C ring, and bolt face (if not already done) while the barrel is off. I recommend doing this, as then the action will be "blueprinted" and you'll know that every surface is true.

Jimro

oldscot3

My guess is the reamer had some nicks on it. A nick on the cutting edge would leave a ridge in the chamber and reverse impressions in your brass. Maybe you could have the barrel set back and then run a finish reamer in it to clean it up.