What the heck is this?

datasmith

Anyone ever seen anthing like this? A frend of mine sent me these pictures and asked me if I knew anything about it. I can't even tell how the action might work?!?

Any thoughts?
IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

DiscoRacing

looks to me as if you lift the upper back thumblever deal... and then slide the bolt back to load...push forward to close...and it locks in place with the guide sticking out below it.... just a guess of course.. i have no idea

Mal H

Staff
Very strange! Almost looks something like a falling block. Did your friend say what caliber it appeared to be (I'd bet on .22)? Any markings on it?

KyJim

It looks an awful like a tape measure to me. You can tell because it's got little tick marks and big numbers on it, probably to denominate inches. It could also be a ruler, but I think that little orange thing in the first picture is where the tape retracts into.

If I'm right, that paper weight is about 15 inches long and seven inches tall.

qcpunk

Wow, that thing looks OLD. No offense to any of you elders around here ;). But seriously, that looks really old, it appears to have a sort of Lock type action. I assume that is what the forward "trigger" is for. I'll keep searching...

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think I would start looking under rifles, as it looks very much like that pistol grip is attached to a former rifle with a cut down rifle receiver and a shortened barrel with a ramp sight mounted. A quick glance at some books doesn't provide any clues, though.

Jim

EdInk

I am a fan of historic and unusual guns. I am not 100% certain so please don't hold to this guess or go throwing it up on gunbroker for an outrageous price. Furthermore, it is important to collectors to have matching and original parts.

It appears to be an model (I'd guess circa 1910-1930's) piece of junk. Seriously, it looks like somebody built somekind of Frankenstein's monster out
of 3 different guns. I think your gun is the result of a box of spare parts fashioned by famous gunsmith Jack Daniels.

I agree with Jim, I think someone cut down a rifle.

As for what rifle...

It looks like it could be a fancier version of a Flobert parlor rifle.

It looks as if it has a set trigger, although that could be a way of releasing the action.

fastforty

Well, I thought that someone would have come up with something by now :( The lanyard loop is interesting, cavalry-like. The set trigger is interesting too (or maybe it's a suicide trigger?).

Sgt127

It looks an awful like a tape measure to me. You can tell because it's got little tick marks and big numbers on it, probably to denominate inches. It could also be a ruler, but I think that little orange thing in the first picture is where the tape retracts into.

If I'm right, that paper weight is about 15 inches long and seven inches tall.

Pure genius Sir.

jhco50

It is a homemade firearm. They made in several countries, all over the world where guns are hard to get. You will probably never find any two alike as they are all handmade and are all different in design. Interesting to come across one here.

old bear

DO to the fact that it appears to have set triggers it must be some type of something converted into a target pistol. Sometimes it is nice to see pix. of your non run of the mill stuff.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Nice call on that one! I thought of a converted Werder rifle, but couldn't find anything that looked right. I never knew about the pistol.

Jim