What sling for an AR?

Erno86

3 point slings seem to have gone out of style. I like Mapul's one point, which you can convert into a two point. That bungee one point looks pretty good. Two point slings have a slower transition time to the off shoulder mount; yet I still like the Vickers two point. For my bolt guns...I like Brownell's "Latigo" two point black leather sling.

For Hi-Power...I like Brownell's leather "competition" two point slings.

bigarm

If one were to choose the Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling would the upgraded version be worth the extra few dollars? It seems to have metal hardware.

Fishbed77

A Blue Force Gear VCAS 2-point sling is the best AR sling money can buy, bar none. The Viking Tactics VTAC sling is pretty dang good too. The Gear Sector slings get good reviews, though I've never personally used one.

The Magpul slings are a distant fourth.

However I don't know the quality or even if a 1 point sling is a good idea.

IMHO, they aren't. A 1-point sling is good for only basic retention, and even then, you have to worry about a barrel slinging around into your knees. A 2-point not only provides retention, but serves as a shooting aid, and is much better suited for securely carrying the rifle. Some say that 1-point slings are better for transitioning to firing to your weak hand, but with a little practice, you can easily do the same with a 2-point sling, and you have all the added benefits.

Tangentabacus

I have one of the original MagPul slings. Once you learn the thinking and design behind why it is the way it is it's awesome and very functional. EXTREMELY sturdy and has worn very well over the past 4 or 5 years.

Only note: For it to work best you really need a sling point on the rear of the gun that's either in the middle/bottom of the gun or slides back and forth. On the front of the gun the sling should be on the bottom of the gun. All doesn't matter entirely but the function will be slightly different than intended.

Bart Noir

I agree with Fishbed.

Just imagine you are one of the high speed tactical operator contractor ninja types, and you are running, really running with the carbine dangling from a 1-point sling. It is not only your knees that are in danger, it is your groin!:eek:

And now imagine you kneel down. The muzzle goes right into the mud. Not my first choice.

I also like the Vicker's Combat Applications Sling. I have put them on an AR, an AK, and on a FAL. That last one was modified with a sling swivel on the right side at the very skinniest part of the butt stock. And it was a VCAS with the extra padding as the FAL is not a lightweight even with carbine barrel.

Bart Noir

globemaster3

For the weight of an AR-10, I would stick with a 2 point. I think that much weight would be awkward with a 1 point.

Just my .02, and worth as much as you paid for it.

Brotherbadger

I use an Ares Armor Huskey Amentum Slider Sling. I love it. Personally i'd stay away from one point slings, and stick with two or three points. Just my opinion though.

Sharkbite

Just my thoughts

I used one of the Magpul MS3 slings in the sandbox. I liked it alot, but it was on a short barreled (10.5") M4. A much lighter platform then the one you are looking to sling. It gave the option of very fast transitions to the off side shoulder but at the expense of the rifle dangeling during transitions to the pistol.

The ability to transform to a 2 point was helpful when you needed both hands free (climbing a ladder or going over a wall come to mind)

The biggest advantage was the QD nature of the sling. It allowed me to have my sling on my body(disconnected) with the rifle jamed between the seat and center con while driving. If i got out i just clipped in and went on my way. This prevents the sling from getting hung up on crap inside the vehicle. Cleaner rifle profile because the sling was already on me

My partner had one of the 2 point Vickers and it was a very comfortable sling that would prob be more approprate for the heavier gun you plan on. Quite a few of our medics used some variation of the Vickers 2 point. Better control of the rifle when working a patient on the ground

Imho a 2 point with a generious pad is the right sling for the gun you mention.

Quentin2

A Blue Force Gear VCAS 2-point sling is the best AR sling money can buy, bar none. The Viking Tactics VTAC sling is pretty dang good too...

I also agree with Fishbed77. I have two padded VTAC 2-point slings with QD fasteners that are working out well for me. Looking at the VCAS, it should be quite similar (in fact I'm about to buy one to try out).

I have tried 3-point and 1-point but retired them after I got the VTACs.

raimius

Single points are good, if you just want the rifle to stay with you.
Two points are good if you want the rifle to not flop around so much when slung, and can provide some shooting stability (depending on set-up).
Three points tend to be similar to two points, but stay a little more secure (at the expense of sometimes interfering with weapons manipulation, and I don't like them!)

CTS

The single points scare me the way the barrel points at the knee cap or leg.
I think the idea of the single point is to have one hand on the pistol grip so that the weapon is at the ready at all times. That way it is mostly horizontal across the body. That is why the MS series were designed to quickly convert from single point to 2 point. For stalking or combat situations this is fine. The 2 point is much more versatile in that sense where you can cinch it up tight to the body or rotate it over the shoulder to carry it slung over you back when you need complete hands free capabilities.

Darker Loaf

I'm a fan of convertible slings from 1 to 2 points. The Magpul first generation slings were inadequate, they fell apart. Since then, Magpul has addressed the problem (and sent me a new one, free of charge), and their new slings are of pretty stout construction.

Mostly, I like 2 points. It's more comfortable and useful for hunting or actually carrying the rifle. A one-point sling is more for the heat of combat (or airsoft as I use it). But it's nice to be able to go from one to another easily. I'm not a fan of quick detach slings, because I believe the are less versatile since many rifles have conventional attachment points. Magpul carries both types.

Whatever brand you go with, make it a good one. I bought a tapco sling for around $30 and it was terrible. I could have sent it back in, but basically I had to resew it to get it to work, and the included clip wouldn't work at all. As with many things in the gun world, it may be tempting to buy a cheaper product in the short term just to have it now. Resist this temptation. You will likely end up spending more money and have a bin of products you do not use any longer and end up buying the more expensive product later down the road.

However, if you are not going to use your gun much in the field (literally, in the field--hunting, airsofting, a carbine course, or war/duty), then you may never wear your sling out. As for me, a couple of seasons of airsofting was enough to shred a more poorly designed Magpul sling.