What size/weight 1911 do you CC and why?

glockopop

So a while back I got a Colt CCO for carry, and all was well. It just so happened that once I found a holster that worked well for me, it so happened that I got the same holster for a 5" 1911. So just to see, I tried carrying my full size Clackamas Kimber. I found that the longer grip wasn't any harder to hide under the baggy tees and Hawaiian shirts I wear, so I figured I might as well get something with a full size grip so I'd have an extra round in the gun, familiarity of controls, ability to swap mags/grips, etc. The only downside was the weight of the gun. It was noticeably heavier on the belt, especially at the end of the day. I pictured some sort of lightweight Commander sized gun.

So I did a little recon at a nearby huge gun shop, and handled a few different pieces. The one I fell in love with was a Dan Wesson VBOB. I really like the bobtail grip frame, and the one they had was a "blem" so I could actually afford it. The only thing I didn't like was the weight. I also handled a Springfield Loaded Champion Lightweight, and very much liked it. I also handled a Colt Lightweight Government, which is full sized but with a lightweight frame. Now I can't decide.

The VBOB is definitely the most nicely fit/finished one of the bunch, and will probably only appreciate in value, but it's also the most expensive, and it has a steel frame so it's noticeably heavier than the other 2. The Colt is nice, and will also hold it's value well, but it doesn't come with night sights so figure an extra $100 or so and the hassle of having to change out the sights. The Springfield costs the least, so much so that I could actually send it to the Springfield Custom Shop and have it bobtailed and it'd end up costing about as much as the Colt with night sights added. I know with this one that if I ever sell it, I won't do nearly as well as with the other 2, but if I like it I wouldn't sell it, right?

Those are the pros and cons, but being much less experienced than most in carrying a 1911, I thought it best to ask some of you with more experience.

So, what size/weight of 1911 do you carry and why?

9x19

I'm not a fan of Ed Brown's bob-tail frames, but Kimber now offers a line with that style and without the FPS found in their II line.

I prefer smaller guns for CC, such as the Springfield EMP or Kimber Ultra series.

AZAK

What size/weight 1911 do you CC and why?

I carry: Government model, Commander, and Officers; all with steel frames.

The why is simple: I have grown to appreciate Colts and single action triggers, a lot. (And I shoot the steel guns better than the LWs in these sizes, so don't mind the extra weight. Although I have never owned or shot a Defender, still on my possible "to do" list, might change my mind about that one in the future; I will not know for sure until I try it out sometime.)

Why I choose one over the other: the Government models are great for EDC with the following exceptions, 1) If I am going to be sitting a lot, then down to Commander, 2) If I really need better concealing abilities, then down to the Officers (usually IWB).

Depending on just what I am up to on any given day, I carry one of these sizes. I prefer my original "pre-enhanced" Delta Elite, out of all of my Colts. I do have various holsters, but usually carry OWB strong side; therefore, the length usually comes to be the deciding factor for the choice of the day. (Sitting a lot then probably not the Delta Elite for that day, outside a lot then probably the Delta Elite.)

And for what it is worth, an all steel 1911 is not that hard to carry or conceal; at least not for me, do it daily.

YMMV

pogo2

28 ounces, 4 inch barrel Kimber

My favorite 1911 for carry is a Kimber Pro CDP, a 28 ounce (empty) aluminum frame gun with 4 inch barrel and standard grip length. I use thin grip panels and replaced the ambi safety with a left side safety to keep the gun thin. It conceals well in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard holster with the right size cover garment. The factory melt job on this gun makes it very smooth and easy to handle and conceal.

KimberProCDP60.jpg

KimberProCDP63.jpg

orionengnr

Right this moment, an alloy framed Commander sized Les Baer Comanche.
Although I have also been known to carry a Kimber Ultra Carry.
And on occasion, a Kimber Pro Eclipse.

bald1

Make mine a CBOB :) With an appropriate belt, the stainless steel frame's weight is not noticeable.

Brolin_Andrews_MacDaniel_II.jpg

I've been know to carry a full sized 1911 but that extra inch length can be a detriment when seated :(

C5_MontanaXLT_2tone_1.jpg

Grady

1911 Colt .45, was straight GI till recently, had a trigger job, slide and sights done. I have had it since Service days, a very old friend. It is a bear to carry and/or conceal, but I am familiar with it, and feel that it will do an adequate job of defense with HPs. I think too much is made of sights for a concealed carry weapon, in that sort of situation, I would be very surprised if you did much more than draw, point and shoot. I had my sights replaced for a different reason than most, I had cataract surgery and etc., old GI sights didn't work anymore for turtles and etc. I would like an Officer's Model for obvious reasons, dependabilty and stopping power, and a bit smaller to carry at my age. Our State Constabulary, the Texas Rangers, carried 19ll's forever, some still do, slide back, their theory was that releasing the slide and having it carry a round to battery and being cocked and ready was a great idea, the noise factor to the bad guy helped also. In answer to another thread, I have carried this 1911 for over 60 years, a round in the chamber, cocked with the safety on. I may shoot myself tomorrow, but it has worked for me for a very long time, common sense and care.

Kreyzhorse

I bought a Government model all steel Springfield TRP a few years ago as a range gun. I figured it would be too big and heavy to carry but was really surprised at how easy it is to CC. While it is heavy, a good leather gun belt and holster carries it well and since the 1911 is so thin, even concealing a 5" barrel is a snap.

It has become my main winter CCW gun.

KyJim

I carry multiple 1911s. However, the two which I carry the most are CCO-sized pistols. The first is an alloy framed Sig C3. Good barrel length, the shorter grip frame helps conceal better, and the weight is better for all day carry than a steel gun.

Sig_Revolution_03a.jpg

However, if I'm not going to be lugging it around all day, I really like my Baer Stinger better because it has a better trigger.

Les_Baer_Stinger_02.jpg

I prefer the CCO size when not wearing a jacket because the shorter grip frame conceals better under "normal" clothes like an untucked polo. In cooler weather, I will often carry a bobtail commander in an OWB holster. So far, it's been the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry but I'll probably also carry a DW CBOB this fall.

EdBrown_SF_Bob_RosenHolster_01.jpg

Bat Masterson

I carry a 1991 Combat Commander, because it's what I have in .45acp. As long as a good holster is used, the pistol's flatness advantage outweighs its weight disadvantage.

tex45acp

A stainless Wilson Combat Professional, carried in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB Holster. I carry this gun 95% of the time as I feel 100% confidence in its operation an accuracy. I am a big guy....6'7" amd 290lbs, so an all steel gun is not at all uncomfortable for me to wear. I have carried this rig for years and for up to 27 hours consecutively without discomfort.
WPSAMagwell005.jpg

WPSAMagwell002.jpg

Stevie-Ray

One of the little ones. Small, thin, and lightweight, (25oz) except for the oversized grips for the ham-handed. I find it the perfect CCW.

100_0626.jpg

WC145

I have 3, a Colt .38 Super, a Springfield Loaded .45, and a S&W 9mm Pro Series, all full size. My duty and (most often) off duty is the S&W, it weighs (per the S&W website) 41oz empty.

I carry it because it is incredibly reliable, accurate, fast shooting, and I'm very comfortable with it.

Ichiban

I have a VBOB and love it! I used to carry an alloy frame commander IWB so it took, oh, about a day to get used to the extra weight of the VBOB. Get the DW - you wont be sorry. :)

Les Maynard

Kimber Ultra CDP II 45acp in a Milt Sparks VM2 and a Belt man belt very comfortable and is my first choice. Although I have Kimber Pro Raptor II stainless on order,It will be my second choice.:cool:

KimberUltraCDPIINewGrips004.jpg

glockopop

Bald1, is that an Andrews MacDaniel II that your CBOB is riding in? That's what I've got for my full size & my CCO, & I really like it. How does it compare to the VMII? I like the MacDaniel II, but the grass is always greener, ya know.

bald1

glockopop,

Indeed that's a MacDaniel II that is about 11 years old. The C5 Montana XLT (VM II clone) is quite comfortable as is the MacDaniel II. But the MacDaniel II remains my absolute favorite IWB as it, unlike the Montana XLT pictured, allows me to adjust the cant any way I choose.

I have a Kramer IWB#3 here for my BHP and have grown to hate the design with its straps on top of the gun adding bulk and discomfort. Were I to do it again it's be another MacDaniel II without question!

BHP_Kramer.jpg

Last edited:

Chesster

Man, there are some nice, fancy 1911s shown here. I feel like a po' boy with my Colt OM and RIA Compact Tactical!!! Not undergunned mind you, just po'. :D

coltria006.jpg