What Size .44 Magnum Ammo

Shaun

Just picked up a Smith M29 the other day and plan on running some rounds through it this weekend. It seems the most common size .44 Mag ammo is either 240g or 180g, so i got a box of each. I would like some feedback on these specific cartridges, are they simmilar, is one better, is one safer for my gun, etc....thanks.

azredhawk44

I'd say that the 240gr loadings make good target and hunting loads, and 180gr loadings are more suitable to self defense.

All I shoot in my redhawk 44mag is 240gr just to make sure that each shot feels the same... I've learned that I don't like switching between different "feeling" ammunition.

44 Deerslayer

Either one is fine. The 240 grain is more or less the "standard" bullet weight for a .44 mag. In the earlier S&W without the endurance package it's wise to keep your bullet weight at 240 or less. Some of those bigger 300 grain + loads tend to be a little harder on the gun with extended use.

Easiest way to tell if the S&W has the endurance package is to look at the cylinder stop notches. Those with the package are much longer and extend forward of the groove that the cylinder stop drops into before it locks. Pre-package they are centered over the shallow groove.

Here is a picture of a S&W .44 mag cylinder with the endurance package.

482552.jpg

Last edited:

samsmix

I used to hunt alot with a Super Blackhawk, but mostly carried it while hiking in bear country. I used 240gr & 300gr LFN & SWC ammo for bear defense. Most deer were shot with 240 or 180 gr hollow points. The 180s are not for quartering-through-the-bones shots, but kill quckly and cleanly enough if placed well.

I also used this gun for a HD gun (only one I had back then) and loaded it with CCI's .44spl 200gr gold dot load. I never shot any bad guys with it, but I did shoot a white-tail and a muley with it. Both were hit well (lungs) and both died quickly. Also one coyote. Plenty of tissue damage. Very little recoil with this load. The thing looks like a HP wadcutter.

I think there are some REALLY hot loads out there, too, but I don't know what an M-29 will take. Even if they are a bit hot, it might be okay to go once around the wheel with them for bear.

There are a ton of good loads out there, but these are what I've used. I hope it helps.

jben

The 240 grain 44 mag load is a great all-around weight bullet for the 44 magnum. If you find one of the good brands that shoots well in your particular gun, like azredhawk44 says, it becomes a good idea to center your shooting and practicing around that load. There is a great variety of quality factory ammo for the 44 in this weight. jben

stormin29

44 ammo

180 grain UMC is a fireball blast listed @ 1600 fps. It is fun to shoot in a ported gun. The .44 Mag is a very versatile caliber with alot of option depending on use. One of the best all around calibers going.

Shaun

Update:
Thanks for all the info, i think im going to stick with the 240 grain bullets, most likely because of the recoil, i was able to shoot them better, 6 shots one large hole at 15 yards offhand. The 180 grains were Remingtons and as it was stated are intense. Huge flame, big kick, a lot of me shaking my hand and wondering how much rubber grips for my gun are going to cost. In the end it comes down to what i shot better, and the 240s were the load. I really do enjoy .44 magnum, it makes shooting my other "wimpier" guns that much easier too. Thanks guys, all i need now is a Loadmaster or a winning Lotto ticket

NCHornet

Your sights probably come preadjusted to the 240 grainers. I reload my 44 mag and use all 240 grain, even for hunting. I would use one or the other, it does make a difference on longer shots. You can also use 44 specials if you don't want to feed it magnums all the time.

22-rimfire

Put some rubber grips on it and you'll probably shoot better. The big factory wood grips just never fit my hands very well and tended to slide in my hand as the gun recoiled. You mileage may vary. But all my N-frames have Pachmayr gips.

45SuperBob

Get a reloading setup and let the fun begin! 44 Mag is great fun to reload, there are so many published loads out there from the wimpiest 44 spl to fire blazing H110 loads that will leave you wondering who these people are that shoot the bigger handguns!