What should the army do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL45

The Army is planning to get away from their Beretta and Sig 9mm, opting for more knockdown power and more reliability. This according to a story on Fox News. A revolver would be more reliable and a .454 Casull would have more knockdown power. Just an idea.

SHE3PDOG

It is both highly doubtful that they will actually get a new gun or switch from the NATO round. I definitely don't foresee a revolver coming back into military service.

For the most part, money spent on a new sidearm is a complete waste anyways as very very few troops ever use their handguns. They are mainly used as status symbols and ways to stay armed while not wearing your rifle everywhere.

A400 Fan

So what are all of the PC protected folks in the military to use? You know, the ones who can't handle the M9 now?

manta49

The Army is planning to get away from their Beretta and Sig 9mm, opting for more knockdown power and more reliability

Is the Beretta not one of the most reliable 9mm handguns, so that makes no sence. As for knockdown power. ?

UncleEd

The question always comes up why a pistol any way.

It seems, if you look at the thread/postings over on the Beretta Forum that quite a few times the M9 has been used in house to house fighting, close-in encounters and sweeps of towns/villages in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The most famous was Marine Sgt. Bradley Kasal's use of the M9 when he was caught in a basement of a Fallujah house in 2004. Though severely wounded, he fought on and it's been recorded he killed six enemy with his M9.

A picture of him shows him holding his M9 in his right hand and gripping his K-Bar knife in his left while being helped out of the building.

As one poster commented, a relative reported the 9 mm quite effective if placed right and that the .45, again if it was placed right, was only marginally better.

So, no, the pistol in recent times hasn't just been a badge of rank/ceremony.

Last edited:

testuser79

I'd think they'll probably stick with a DA/SA pistol using 9mm NATO. What really needs to be addressed is the weight of the M9 and M11 pistols. One of the Army's biggest problem is the weight of everything a soldier has to carry. In addition, a new pistol would have integral rails for lights, etc. The FNX can also be carried cock and locked or hammer down.

Something along the lines of the FNX series from FN would be a good choice. It's about 12 ounces lighter than the M9. The FNX-45 was developed for the Joint Combat Pistol Program and would seem like a good candidate as well, I just doubt the Army is really going away from the 9mm.

Last edited:

2damnold4this

I don't see the Army going away from the 9mm in a time of budget cuts. If they do anything, it will be to adopt a cheaper pistol to shoot 9mm.

JimDandy

For the most part, money spent on a new sidearm is a complete waste anyways as very very few troops ever use their handguns.

Too many stories and a designated pistoleer LBV pouch set to believe they aren't using pistols more, especially in the urban settings clearing houses and the like.

Additionally, I would believe they are looking for something bigger, and I'd believe they're staying with the Beretta. They're not going with a new 9mm just for the sake of getting a new 9mm.

The Marine Corps recently ordered a bunch of non-M9 pistols as well, a 1911 clone of some kind as I recall. The Army and the Marine Corps purchasing department spend a lot of time being jealous of each other making either result believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.