What should my next "six months/torture test" gun be?

What gun for the next six months of shooting...

• Colt Series 70 Reissue

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • HK P7m8

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Glock?

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 45 60.0%

• Total voters

Greg Bell

Guys,

As some of you know I spent the last six months blasting 13k plus through my P2000. It didn't miss a beat. I am bored with that gun and have spent the last month playing with other guns. This is counter-productive. I want to refocus my efforts on a specific gun again. What gun do you think I should pick from the following for the next six months of shooting?

Colt 1911 Series 70 reissue. Needs a beavertail if I am going to put 3-500 rounds a week through it.

H&K P7M8 (I have tons of trigger time with these, so I might get bored).

Glock??

Something else?

Magdaddy

Kel-tec p3 (the .380) let's see what this gun is made of. I'm not sure that would be a torture test for the glock or the H&K. Or how bout one of the armalite 9mm's.

Mantua

I'd like to see a torture test done on a Taurus or Kel-tec. With all the debate on the quality of those two brands, it's sure to be an interesting read. If the gun doesn't live up, do you torture test the warranty?

gb_in_ga

Why not a Taurus PT-92? Well, other than that it is essentially the same thing as a "real" Beretta 92. Does a Taurus PT-92 stand up as well, in the long run, as a "real" 92? What about locking block issues? Slide issues?

For that matter, why not a "real" Beretta 92 or M9?

Why not a CZ 75?

How 'bout a torture test of a BHP?

What about an XD?

Why not something older, like maybe a Walther P1 or P38?

Or, for that matter, what about a medium frame wheelgun? Maybe a 686 or GP-100? Can a Taurus hold up in the long run?

re_kenney

I'd vote for the P3AT.

I've been pushing one for the past couple of months.
I purchased a P3AT and (S&W) PPK new and have been running them through the ringer.

The PPK has performed flawlessly.
The P3AT has had one failure to eject and two failures to feed (corrected by my pushing the slide forward.

The first 200rds through each were 90gr FMJ.
The latest firings have been Remington Golden Sabers and Federal Hydra Shoks.

I clean both weapons after each 100rds.
The failures on the P3AT have always occurred after more than 25rds were fired.

However, I'm getting ready to sell the P3AT because it ain't cutting the mustard. (I have no tolerance for weapons that dork up).

I'd like to see someone push the P3AT, just to be sure my initial impression is right.

Greg Bell

The more I think of it, since I am going to the Roger's shooting school in Sept, I probably need it to be 9mm. So nix the .45 (2500 rounds in 5 days, with a strong emphasis on one handed strong and weak hand shooting).

So, maybe I should go with the P7 or the Glock 17/19. The Glock might make more sense because it would minimize reloads and not get hot. OTOH, I can shoot a P7 faster and I have multiple examples, so I could switch out). Hmm.

I don't want an XD. Maybe a Smith M&P??? Hmm.

454c

You want people on the edge of the seat waiting for a failure ? Get a Smith revolver along with a comparable Taurus revolver and run 'em side by side.