What should I look at?

OkieCruffler

I've come into a bit of coin and have decided to spend a bit of it on a shotgun that you guys won't make fun of everytime I mention it. Right now I shoot probably 90% skeet and the rest split between trap and 5 stand. I really like the 20 but the 12 would be alot more useful in trap. I might also mention that I have never shouldered a Browning that I liked. So with $5K in hand what should I look at?

BigJimP

charlie in md

New Fabarms

If you like a semi auto you might want to look at the HK Fabarms XLR5. Fully adjustable for every game you might want to try.

BigD_in_FL

$5K gets you into Zoli and Blaser territory besides just Browning and Beretta. Of course you could also look at a trap gun and a different one for skeet and 5-stand

OkieCruffler

It looks like Beretta has a sale on barrels, perhaps I could get into a double barreled set with 20's for skeet and 12 for trap.

OkieCruffler

Was kinda looking for a new gun with that new gun warranty but I'm finding several Krieghoff Model 32's in my budget. I've never heard of the 32, I really like the 20 and 80, and I have this unnatural love for old wood. Wow that sounds really bad.

BigJimP

For Trap, I prefer an O/U with 32" barrels at around 10 lbs....less left to right barrel movement for Trap where the extra length and weight is an advantage. I have single barrel Trap guns...BT - 100 ....but honestly I don't shoot it as much as my Citori XT in 32".

For Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays ..and upland birds...I prefer an O/U with 30" barrels at around 8 1/2 lbs...( like the XS Skeet ) ...and while I have them in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ...if I only wanted one gun, I'd go with the 12ga model ....and I'd reload 1 oz loads , 7/8 oz loads and 3/4 oz loads in a Rem STS hull.../ but if I wanted to shoot registered targets I'd need a tube set or another gun, so I could shoot the 20ga, 28ga and .410 .../ but my competition days are over....and I just shoot for fun.../ so don't tell my wife, but I could get by with just 2 guns...an XT for Trap and an XS Skeet for the rest....

but I'm not selling any shotguns...( I only have about 18 shotguns ...)...a man needs a little variety sometimes...( at least in guns )...

OkieCruffler

I didn't get a chance to look at that 32 today, boy was sick and I was stuck at home. I'm actually kind of surprised at just how much gun I can get for my money. Too many choices.

OkieCruffler

Well I cannot tell a lie, I got distracted by a boat and spent more money on it than I meant to. ( I live 5 minutes from the marina, I can't be the only guy on my block without a boat in the water), so no $5K gun for me. But I was still walking around with that itch for something new. Had myself talked into an 1100 and went looking today. Walked in one place that is known more for pistol grips than wood. And there sitting in the middle of all that plastic was....
citori_zps9dab610a.jpg

I know, a Browning, but she just didn't belong there. She's short, 26", the way I like them. Choked **/**-, which I'm guessing is M/IC. Would have liked to have had SK/SK or even better, tubes, but I can suffer with this for awhile. The SXS I usually shoot is choked full/not quite as full. No scratches, just a couple of dents in the finish and the blueing is pristine. So all of that pushed me to buy her. Well that and the $700 price tag. I didn't break my arm reaching for my wallet but I think I might have pulled something.

BigD_in_FL

Sounds like a good deal and a lesson for those who want an O/U with that budget or so and are looking at the new cheap garbage. Being patient and looking around can get you into a Browning for less that $1K

Enjoy

BigJimP

Yes, I think you made a good buy - and your barrels are Mod and Improved Cyclinder....

Browning choke marks on older barrels - prior to changeable screw in chokes with the first Invector series:

From a link I found ...
BROWNING CHOKES AND THEIR CODES (ON REAR LEFT-SIDE OF BARREL)

'*' designates full choke (F).

'*-' designates improved modified choke (IM).

'**' designates modified choke (M).

'**-' designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

'**$' designates skeet (SK).

'***' designates cylinder bore (CYL).

OkieCruffler

I had found another for $950 but it was in pretty rough shape wood wise and was 30" F/M gun. Still wish I could have found a way to get that K32 with the .410 barrels. If anyone is looking it's at the Cabelas in Allen and it is sharp. But my boat will be in it's slip in 2 weeks and then I won't feel as bad.:cool: