What should I expect to pay for a new model 27

stevieboy

The Smith & Wesson "Classic" 27 is what Smith is currently selling in nickel. My best guess is that you'd have to shell out somewhat north of $900 for a new one. However, older models will sell for less, depending on their condition. Many of the revolver fans on this and other forums think that the older models are better than the new ones (I'm not one of them). What you buy is definitely a question of taste, however.

You may not be aware of this, but Smith signified changes with a - followed by a number. Thus, a 27-2 signifies the second engineering change in the Model 27 line.

The price of an older gun depends on several factors. First, collectors look for certain series and even specific barrel lengths within a series. Second, the conditon of the gun, including its cosmetic appearance, can greatly affect price. Finally, collectors seek guns that come in their original boxes with documents and accessories, like cleaning sets.

Most sought after in the 27 series is the Model 27-2. That doesn't mean it is necessarily the "best" gun out there in the 27 line (collectors would give me an argument about that, I think) but it is definitely the most sought after. Also highly prized is the so-called "pre-27", a model that came out before Smith began putting series numbers on its guns. And, most expensive of all are the "registered magnums", the precursors of the 27 series that Smith began marketing in the 1930's.

A 3 1/2 nickeled 27-2 in excellent condition, even without box and papers, is a pricey gun. One of those may very well set you back over $700. On the other hand, other versions of the gun cost less. Last year I paid just over $500 for my 27-3, a very nice four inch gun made in 1988. I bought it as a shooter, not caring about its collection value.

If you like N-frame .357 revolvers, like the 27, but you're interested in a shooter rather than a collector's item, you should definitely take a look at the Smith & Wesson Model 28, or "Highway Patrolman." Smith made that gun at the same time that it made the 27, and it marketed it as a police revolver and as a less expensive N-frame .357. There are cosmetic differences between the 27 and the 28 (the finish on the 28 is duller than that on the 27, and the 27 came with a checkered top strap whereas the top strap on the 28 is plain). But, mechanically, the guns are identical. I have friends with 28s and they are very, very fine guns that shoot just as well as the Model 27. A good condition 28 will usually cost at least a couple of hundred dollars less than an equivalent 27. However, 28s were only made with blued steel, never in nickel.

crimsondave

Thanks.

I def. want a 27. I just don't care much for blued revolvers. [Now ducking the bricks being thrown at me.] I think the +/- of the new and old SWs even out, but I'm not against a used gun. I'd like a 6.5" barrel. My 686 is a 4" that I carry. I'm just looking for nice looking target gun.

Winchester_73

Most sought after in the 27 series is the Model 27-2.

Aren't the 27 no dash guns and 27-1s pinned and recessed as well? And the 27 no dash guns are 4 screws which are relatively rare. So why is a 27-2 most sought after? I never heard that before.

I def. want a 27. I just don't care much for blued revolvers.

Stick to the used market. Aside from the lock, a 50s or 60s model 27 (in the 50s, just called a "357 MAGNUM" are better made. The new ones are simply not worth the money. You could but a 99% fired in box 27 for less than a new one if you look around. Part of the thrill of buying used guns is the search itself. Happy hunting!

There are cosmetic differences between the 27 and the 28 (the finish on the 28 is duller than that on the 27, and the 27 came with a checkered top strap whereas the top strap on the 28 is plain). But, mechanically, the guns are identical.

Another big difference is that the model 28s, since they were offered to the police, came with baughman aka quickdraw sights. The 27s, most of them I would say, came with a partridge front sight which I think is better for shooting.

Last edited:

BigJimP

The model 27 is one of my all time favorite revolvers as well - and just like you, I'm a Nickel finish addict ....on the older S&W revolvers...

In my area and older model 27-2 is selling easily in the $ 750 - $1,000 price range / even the -3 ( where the cyclinder counterbore and pinned barrel were stopped ) are selling for maybe $ 50 less.

The most popular is the -2 / followed by the no dash / and then the -1 ...but to a "shooter" vs a collector that doesn't make that much difference. Personally I look for clean guns / treat them as shooters ....and I've been lucky enough to accumulate three model 27's ( a 4" and 6" -2 in Nickel / and a nice blued 6" -3 ...) all nice guns.

The new "classic" - with the internal lock frame is selling in my area for around $ 900 / but personally I like the older versions.

GUNKWAZY

Before you go shell out 9 bones for a NEW Classic model 27, look into spending the same money and get a NIB older model 27-2.
You'll be much happier and it's a better investment.
The 27 is the classiest revolver S&W ever made.
Checkered top strap, tapered barrel. What's not to like ?

nib27.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Dave T

Another big difference is that the model 28s, since they were offered to the police, came with baughman aka quickdraw sights. The 27s, most of them I would say, came with a partridge front sight which I think is better for shooting.

W_73, I believe you will find the 5" and 3.5" M27 (and pre-27s) generally had the ramp front sight. The two 5" guns currently in my safe both have ramped fronts. Top one is a pre-27 from 1954 and the second is a 27-2 from 1973.
2009_1226AD.jpg

2009_1202AC.jpg

And the one 3.5" M27-2 I have has the ramp front. I bought this one cheep as it was badly pitted from careless storage. When I had it cleaned up the front sight insert was added but the front ramp sight is original.
2009_1113AG.jpg

I believe you will find the longer barrels (6", 6-1/2" & 8-3/8") generally came with the square cut target or Patridge sight blade , although I believe you could special order different blades back in the 50s and certainly in the pre-War, Registered Magnum days.

Dave