What should a decent S&W M-18 4" .22 sell for?

nfafan

Not a seller, want to buy a 4" M-18 .22.

I understand they are not Charter Arms, but by the same token I don't want to find out later that well-used examples "can be found all day for $XXX.XX" - after I paid $YYY.YY for my M-18.

So, what is the ball-park for these please?

Thanks!

Glenn Dee

I have two.. The one in better condition was purchased for $300.00 five years ago. The lesser of the two was purchased for $350.00 later the same year. Go figure...

Glenn D.

sandbag

Nice Revolver

The S&W Model 18 4" was in use at the US Border Patrol Academy when I went through there some 30 plus years ago.It was employed as a training revolver and then we stepped up to the Security Six or Colt Border Patrol models for training with the revolvers we'd be carrying.
If I ran across one in nice shape I'd grab it.

CajunBass

If you can find one cheaper than that, let me know.

Actually I did. Well, not less than I wanted to pay, but less than I expected. Seeing the "classic" ones going for $700-800 had me expecting to pay at least that, so a Model 18 wasn't really high on my "gotta have" list.

Then last weekend, when I was in Central Illinois visiting my stepson, someone posted on the Smith & Wesson board that my favorite dealer had a five screw, "pre-18." I didn't wait. I called, found out they still had it, and had them put a hold on it for me. They were asking $499.00 for it.

071211141434.jpg

071211141529.jpg

I got back a couple of days later and looked it over. Everything was good. I paid $460.00 + tax for it.

Too much? I got no idea. I literally have never seen another one for sale. At least not since I knew enough to know that I was looking for.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

From the 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms,,,

This is what the book says:

Model 18 (K-22 Combat Masterpiece)
This is the model designation for the 4"-barrel “Combat Masterpiece”
chambered for the .22 rimfire.
Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
675 475 300 200 125

18 months ago I bought one in VG to Good condition,,,
I paid $375.00 and thought I had gotten quite the good deal.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

Last edited:

Dobe

I picked up an 18-4 in mint shape for $400 from a fellow member of the S&W forum about 7 years ago. Those days are gone, or maybe not. With the down turn in the economy, some people are forced to sell part of their collection.

Venom1956

I would say 600 - 400 depending on condition or if it includes box papers etc. Sadly (maybe?) I think the rising cost of ammo has increased the demand of .22 pistols in general most fairly priced M18s are gone within hours only ones that seem to linger are the +600 dollar ones.

8shot357

That's funny, a .22, It's more than likely been shot the heck out of it 90% of the time, it's a 22!

Now, if you buy a used old 44mag, it's hardy been shot 90% of the time.

But yet,..................You get my point.

And don't quote those numbers!

carguychris

The thing is, most of us who have Model 18's, don't seem to sell them.
+1 and IMHO the biggest factor in the recent price increases. My M18-2 is the only gun that accompanies me on every range trip, and it's the last gun I would ever sell.

FWIW I gladly paid $500 for it ~2 years ago after scouring gun shops and shows for months. It was in 98% condition, it had obviously been fired but not very often, and it did not have a box or papers. The M18-2 is one of the less common variants. I could probably sell the gun today for the same amount I paid for it even though I've put roughly 4,000rds through it. :)
...in general most fairly priced M18s are gone within hours only ones that seem to linger are the +600 dollar ones.
Absolutely agreed; although prices have climbed, IMHO a M18 had better be truly LNIB collector-grade, preferably with a box and papers, to be legitimately worth much more than $600, especially if it's a M18-3 or later.

Example: One of my LGS's has a ~90-95% M18, no box or papers, on consignment for $700. It's been there for a while. It will probably be there for a while longer.

tdrizzle

I paid 400 cash to a guy on a local board almost a year ago. Gun is about 80 percent, some discoloration on the cylinder, but still shoots fine. I agree; was I inclined, I could post it tomorrow and get at least what I paid for it if not more. People eat those pre lock Smiths up.

22-rimfire

$500 > $650 is typical for one in exxcellent condition without a box. $700 is stretching the value a bit in my opinion. Bought an 98%+ 4" M17 a couple months ago for $550 OTD. The asking price was considerably higher than that however. I had the money and they wanted to sell it that day. They have a 6" M17 that was there at the same time and it is still there with an asking price of $700. M18's are harder to find as most that have them do not sell them. When a gunshop has one, frequently the price is pretty firm. Bought a 98%+ M18 in 2007 for $450.

joneb

I would guess those that have a S&W 4" mod 18 might support a higher price. and those who do not have a S&W 4" mod 18 but would like to have one might support a lower price. The price of a gun that is no-longer made is set buy how badly one wants the gun.
I would love to have one, but how much I need it depends on the price.