what shotgun loads for coyotes

seansean1444

looking for a load to try for coyote hunting. I refuse to pay the price for hevi shot dead coyote. looking at the federal number 4 copper plated buck with the flight control wad to try to get the most distance I can. what do you guys use? by the way the gun is a Remington 870 express 3inch chamber 22inch barrel Carlson dead coyote choke I believe .680 constriction

Mobuck

I've used #4 buck, and both #2 and #4 shot on coyotes and none of the standard loads were much good past 30-35 yards. Most of the coyotes I killed on the spot were during turkey season and were within 25-30 yards where the 2 ounce #4 turkey loads had a pattern about 12" in diameter. Those coyotes were shredded and DRT.

buck460XVR

Like for turkey, I suggest you pattern a variety of ammo outta YOUR gun instead of taking someone's word on what works best outta THEIR gun. Shotguns and how their chokes shoot different loads is as varied as hair on a dog. Each one has a preference and patterning loads is the only way to see where they shoot and how far they shoot well. Then you know.

bamaranger

turkeys

I've killed coyotes coming to a spring turkey call, or the dog trying to slip in on my decoy, or going to a gobbling bird that I am already on too. Kind of an indication of those sly rascals as predators. Yeah, #5 or #6 in a dense 2 oz or so 16" pattern is deadly stuff. A couple episodes of this and I became interested in calling coyotes. Not very well I might add.

On the OP, I bought some Hevi T-shot but agree the price is high and I'm reluctant to shoot the darn hard big pellets in my turkey guns (at called coyotes). And I've experimented with #4 buck but it seems a bit thin.

On thought only, with no experience, seems like lead BB might be ideal, but I'm just speculating.

allaroundhunter

I've killed them with #4 buckshot (Hevi shot's "Heavy Duty" load) and they have most all been DRT. I did have to shoot one a second time, but my first shot was at about 45 yards and that is pushing the limits of that load in my gun.

The most lethal I have used was a 1 oz slug as I was setting up for a 3 gun competition. The slug was all that I had nearby and it was an opportunistic kill.