What scope on a Ruger 77/357?

Deja vu

Here is what I am looking for in order of whats important to me:

1. Low Power (Fast on target)
2. Light Weight (looking for less than 10 oz
3. Ballistic Dial options (in yards so I dont have to mess with MOA during a shot, the 357 magnum has a lot of drop and my brain works slow)
4. Cost less than $350.00
5. Prefer a silver finish to match the stainless rifle/scope mounts.
6. Made in America

Number 1,2 and 3 I am not willing to budge on 4,5, and 6 I can deal with.

Any Ideas?

Thank you!

hammie

This may be a tough one, because I think most of the ballistic dials on low power scopes are matched to the .223 Rem. If it were me, I would, at least, look at the Leopold hog rifle scope. It is 1X - 4X, 11.4 ounces, and 230 $. You can look at it on midwayusa.com and search for their product #330994.

fshfindr

I have decided that I will go with no scope on my Ruger 77-357. With iron sights at 100 yds. I can hit within a 4 inch circle consistently. I will however, go with a red dot for fun since they are cheap. I have just ordered a new rear peep sight and once that is on, I expect to get a new front site too since the stock sight has a habit of disappearing in the sun. I'll probably go with a plain ramp sight on front. It is new to me and definitely a fun gun.

Last edited:

natman

You do not need a ballistic drop compensator on a 357 rifle. It's true that it does drop quickly after 100 yards, but it will be going too slow to be effective past that range anyway.

Just get a good 1-4 like this Leupold and go hunting.

Within 100 yards.

AK103K

I had a fixed 4x Leupold Compact on mine. The scope just didnt seem right though. Kind of felt like scoping a lever gun.

Then I tried NECG peeps, and didnt like them either. To fiddly, and I couldnt get them back close enough to my eye for my liking. They blocked the bolt handle at the rear most mounting point.

Went back to the factory irons, and settled on that.

A dab of bright nail polish to make the front sight a little more noticeable, and I was happy.

natman

it will be going too slow to be effective past that range [100 yards] anyway.
For hunting deer, that's true
For targets or smaller animals, not so much

I'll grant you that a 357 retains enough energy to go completely through a piece of paper at distances considerably longer than 100 yards. But if you're shooting targets what's the rush that requires a bullet drop compensator?

For smaller animals, it's going to be a challenge to hit them even with a BDC, because a 357 has a LOT of drop.

jmr40

Buy the Leupold 1-4X20. I don't think it is offered with long range dots, but the 2-7X does and if that is a major concern then go that way. You are giving up a lot of speed up close. The 1X really is a lot faster than 2X up close, but gaining a lot at longer range.

Who cares if the dots are adjusted at the factory for 223 or faster rounds. Get to the range and shoot at various ranges and take note of where you're bullets are impacting and make a cheat sheet. Normally with a 100 yard zero each dot is pretty close to a 200, 300 or 400 yard zero. You may find that with a 50 yard zero the dots are on for 100, 150, 175 and 200 yards with your 357. Just shoot it at those ranges and see what happens.

Snyper

For smaller animals, it's going to be a challenge to hit them even with a BDC, because a 357 has a LOT of drop.

With a good scope and once the drop is learned, it should be consistant enough to score at long range

A BDC will just take the guesswork out of holdover. although there won't be any factory BDC's that match the trajectory

The OP will just have to learn to proper settings on target turrets

CCCLVII

Most (if not all) Leupold scopes are able to use there CDS system. You give Leupold the Speed of the bullet, the range it is sighted in at, the B.C. and how high the scope is from the bore and they will make you a custom dial. I have one on my 303 British sighted in for a fairly light load and it works well out to about to about 350 yards with it sighted in at 100 yards)

I also have one on my 22LR for subsonic Eley HP. It is sighted in at 50 yards and goes out to 130 yards and it right on at any distance in that range. I can pick off starlings darn near 100% of the time with it and a laser range finder all the way out to 130 yards.

I think the dials cost about $60-$75 but they take the guess work out of it and can be made for any round.

dieselbeef

yea the trophy is a bit much for it but its what I had so....maybe this weekend might be a good time to get out.

like to hear more feedback on these. Ill tell ya if ya take that mag apart..its a real real real pita to wind tight enough

Deja vu

I ended up getting a Leupold 3X9 ultralight I keep it on 3 power 90% of the time unless I am at a bench. The scope is light (just a hair over 9oz) for a 3X9. Its also in silver cause it matches the gun and I am a vain man :) I originally wanted a 2X7 but struggled to find one in sliver.

I got 3 dials made for it. One for factory Remington 158 grain 38 specials. The second for my home loads of 247 grain hunter bullets over powder pistol. The last dial is my "hunting load" and is a 158 grain hornady XTP moving 1900 FPS (from the 16 inch barrel)

The factory 158 grains move about 950 FPS from the rifle. The 247 grain bullets are doing right at 1000 FPS from the barrel. WIth the factory 158 grain 38 specials the dial goes out to 140 yards. With the 247 grain bullet it goes out to 180 yards (more speed and much better BC) the hunting load dial goes out to 220 yards though I admit I am not shot anything thing but paper at that range.

Drm50

My brother just got a Millit Designated Marksman, 2x7. Just put on T/C carbine
in 357 max. Turned out to be really nice scope. Reticle made it fast pionting.
Had no trouble hitting 9" plate at 100 yds, off hand,as fast as I could swing into
It. Price is around $150.

PatientWolf

I'd be tempted to try a Nikon Slug hunter or Nikon Ultimate Slam in 2x7 magnifications with the BDC reticles and see how the drop worked with the ammo I planned to use since .357 drop can vary significantly with load.

One criteria they don't meet for you is color, but you only listed that as "preferred".

fourbore

I ended up getting a Leupold 3X9 ultralight I keep it on 3 power 90% of the time unless I am at a bench. The scope is light (just a hair over 9oz) for a 3X9. Its also in silver cause it matches the gun and I am a vain man I originally wanted a 2X7 but struggled to find one in sliver.

I got 3 dials made for it. One for factory Remington 158 grain 38 specials. The second for my home loads of 247 grain hunter bullets over powder pistol. The last dial is my "hunting load" and is a 158 grain hornady XTP moving 1900 FPS (from the 16 inch barrel)

The factory 158 grains move about 950 FPS from the rifle. The 247 grain bullets are doing right at 1000 FPS from the barrel. WIth the factory 158 grain 38 specials the dial goes out to 140 yards. With the 247 grain bullet it goes out to 180 yards (more speed and much better BC) the hunting load dial goes out to 220 yards though I admit I am not shot anything thing but paper at that range.

I like that - a lot. Someday, I may do the same in 44mag. I dont need a cds, but beyond the personal nit pick choices, that seems like an very well though out package. The Ruger 77 at its best in these pistol rounds. Funny how the gun evolved from a 22 (which I dont want) to a 357 or 44 brush gun.