What scope for a Marlin 60 under $100?

brentfoto

Can anyone here recommend a traditional scope for under $100 for a Marlin 60 (.22lr) rifle?

Will be shooting out to 100 yards-mainly for target practice.

At my age, I am finding it difficult to focus looking at the front sight, even with my glasses, which are progressives.

Looking for a 'best buy' or 'best bang for the buck' and do not want to exceed $100, but want to be reasonably accurate to 100 yards.

Thanks in advance!

sarge1967

I got a Bushnell 4X scope at Walmart designed for .22 rifles. It works fine on my 10/22. I paid like $35-40 for it.

brentfoto

Sarge, do you have the model number?

Also, on another forum it was suggested by someone that I get a 3-9...

I don't know if a 4x would be good for out to 100 yards or not, to be honest.

Thanks, and more suggestions requested from other posters.

PawPaw

I've got a Nikon fixed 4X that I like a lot. It's a .22 scope, so the parallax is set at 50 yards. The scope is very bright, with nice optics. I paid $100.00 for it last year.

Hawg

I got a Bushnell 4X scope at Walmart designed for .22 rifles. It works fine on my 10/22. I paid like $35-40 for it.

I got the same one before Christmas on sale for 25.00 Unless you're shooting for tiny groups the fixed 4 will do whatever you need it to.

0037.jpg

brentfoto

I believe that I will get the Simmons or that Bushnell.

Is AO important for a Simmons or any other scope? I'm not even certain what AO is all about...

there's a lot I'm not certain of...for instance, I can't or don't have a 'quote with reply' function on this forum...:confused:

So, please reply, guys, and thanks for the photo and for your combined input thus far.

I would have to say that I'd like to attempt tiny groups as target shooting is all that I'd be doing for most of the time, though I may do some hunting in the future.

brentfoto

Hawk-your rifle's stock is identical to mine but mine is the blued version of the rifle.

Also, I believe the Simmon's referenced above does NOT have the AO, but curious about AO anyway.

jmhyer

For my purposes, I have never had a need to worry about parallax. Therefore, I have not missed the absence of AO.

brentfoto

jmhyer-

Thanks for getting back to me.

Since you have a Marlin 60 and the Simmon's can you tell me:

(1) what do I need to securely mount this on my 60 given the mount(s) provided/rings are supposedly inadequate?

(2) Should I mount medium or high rings?

(3) could I successfully use this scope on a Savage .30-06?

jmhyer

I have mine mounted with the supplied rings and mount. And, as mentioned, have had no issues. Admittedly, I handle all my firearms with kid gloves.

I honestly don't know if it could withstand the recoil of the 30-06, though.

brentfoto

sholling-

Thanks for your input. I was aware of the sightron on sale.

I will look into the others you have mentioned-appreciated!

Last edited:

sarge1967

Sarge, do you have the model number?

Also, on another forum it was suggested by someone that I get a 3-9...

I don't know if a 4x would be good for out to 100 yards or not, to be honest.

Thanks, and more suggestions requested from other posters.

Sorry but I can't find a model number on the thing anywhere. I find 4X fine out to 100 yards. Of course more is better just make sure it is a rim fire scope. They have the parallax set for 50 yards instead of 100 yards like a center fire scope does.

sarge1967

I got the same one before Christmas on sale for 25.00 Unless you're shooting for tiny groups the fixed 4 will do whatever you need it to.

0037.jpg

Yup that looks just like mine. I had to buy rings that would work on the rail that came with the 10/22 but the supplied rings will work on the receiver groves of a Marlin 60.

brentfoto

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen

Yup that looks just like mine. I had to buy rings that would work on the rail that came with the 10/22 but the supplied rings will work on the receiver groves of a Marlin 60."
===========================================
---Sarge and Hawk-
Well, I went to local Walmart today to purchase Weaver 'tip-off base and rings' in anticipation of purchasing online a more expensive scope but that Bushnell you referenced, e.g., the 4x32 Rimfire, was one of the few scopes that he had...on a whim and also remembering posters like yourself, I ended up buying it! Hopefully it will mount directly on the Marlin 60 as you asserted. It was priced at $29.97.

Wish me well and THANKS for the comments, guys!

On another matter, I don't know why I am unable to quote posts...does it have to do with anything related to paying for a subscription?

p.s. Will post photos when mounted on my 60.

Hawg

It will mount. As for quotes there's a row of icons at the top of the reply screen. The second to last is quote tags.

sarge1967

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen

Yup that looks just like mine. I had to buy rings that would work on the rail that came with the 10/22 but the supplied rings will work on the receiver groves of a Marlin 60."
===========================================
---Sarge and Hawk-
Well, I went to local Walmart today to purchase Weaver 'tip-off base and rings' in anticipation of purchasing online a more expensive scope but that Bushnell you referenced, e.g., the 4x32 Rimfire, was one of the few scopes that he had...on a whim and also remembering posters like yourself, I ended up buying it! Hopefully it will mount directly on the Marlin 60 as you asserted. It was priced at $29.97.

Wish me well and THANKS for the comments, guys!

On another matter, I don't know why I am unable to quote posts...does it have to do with anything related to paying for a subscription?

p.s. Will post photos when mounted on my 60.

Cool! Let us know how it works for you. It does great on my 10/22. I use it for pest control mostly. I have taken many coons opossums and squirrels with it.

Colokeb

Leapers with Sportview x12

I have a Leapers UTG Airgun medium mount from OpticsPlanet with a 1 inch Bushnell Sportview AO 4 x 12. These can be found used on ebay. Makes for an excellent stick tight varmint rig. Scope could also be an older Bushnell 2.5x8 Scopechief. One on ebay for $79 now.

This setup will not slide off the rifle. These $13 rings are one piece with three hex nuts. Regular rings often slide backwards on a Marlin 60... believe me.

I have this on two M60 22LR rifles, and a more expensive Sightron scope on a third.

Last edited: