What;s wrong with my Pt-111 (Seriously, No Wisecracks)

Doug S

My experience with handguns is fairly limited. I've owned about 8 total. I've never had to send one in for repairs until I purchased my PT-111. This gun has about 1000 rounds through it. Prior to last week it had functioned perfectly with all types of ammo. Recently it started failing to eject the fired casings. The casing stays lodged in the barrel until it cools off, it then falls out. This causes the next unfired round to slam into the back of the fired casing. Initially I thought that this may be happening because I hadn't cleaned the gun in a while. After a thorough cleaning I fired 100 FMJ rounds through this gun with this problem occurring 4 times. Is this a magazine problem, and ejector problem, or something else? Thanks for any info.

Doug S

Thanks for the info. Is this a common occurrence on a pistol with only approximately 1000 rounds through it? Is this something easily fixed or will it require being sent back to Taurus?

Bandit

I'ld send it back to Taurus and take advantage of the lifetime warranty. As far as it being common.. No, they should last much longer than that but inferior parts do crop up from time to time.

------------------
Rick

Joe Klug

Doug,

I'd agree with BB and think this is most likely an extractor spring problem. While it's probably not a big deal to replace (if you have the right tools) I would think sending it back to Taurus would be the right thing to do. Take advantage of that lifetime warranty and if they have an updated part (stonger spring, stiffer material, etc.) you will get that automatically.

FWIW, when I had to send my 111 back to Taurus they were good about fixing it quickly though they didn't offer any explanation as to what was fixed.

Good luck.

Joe/Ga

Gopher

Go to www.Taurususa.com and read their return policy. There is a form you can print and fill out. Pack it and the gun in the box it came in (if you still have it) go to a FFL and have him send it back. Turn around time will be 3-5 weeks and there will be little or no hassle from Taurus. They stand behind what they sell and are good to repair or replace if needed. I just sent my PT99 back after the firing pin broke after about 1500 rounds or so and it came back in 3 weeks. Why take it to a smith that will charge you if you can send it back to the factory for almost free?

Walt Sherrill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gopher:
...Why take it to a smith that will charge you if you can send it back to the factory for almost free? [/quote]

Kinda depends. If you have to ship it by next-day Air, it may end up being almost as cheap to get a local gunsmith to fix it, and you'll probably get the gun back a LOT sooner.

(My local smith does most minor repairs for a minimum fee -- $35.00 in most cases.)

If I've got to spend almost that much to ship it to the maker, I'll have him work on it. I get it back sooner, give him the business (and keep him IN business), and build up the good relationship I like to have with a favorite merchant/service provider.

Doug S

Thanks for all the info. Although I like my PT-111 I'm somewhat disappointed about having to have it repaired twice in under a years time. I'm seriously considering getting rid of it after this repair.

sks

Walt, I agree with your assesment on doing the repair job locally. It will probably be a savings in money as well as time.

However, would that void the warranty on the gun? I've never had to send in any gun for repairs so have no first hand experience. Just curious.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!