What S&W did I see today?

lonegunman

At a show, there was a nickel plated double action S&W revolver in 32-20 caliber. It had a tag on it that said Model 10. It was a fairly small frame gun, about the size of the model 10, and had old diamond style stocks on it.

I asked the jackass selling it if I could open the cylinder (to see the model number for myself, cuz I didnt think the model 10 was ever made in 32-20), and he asked me if I was serious about buying or just looking. I told him I was serious or I wouldnt have asked, and so he said something to the effect of , "Well before I let you open it, tell me how much you will give me for it, and I will tell you if I will let you open it".

Great salesmanship, huh?

I told him he could just take it back home with him, and walked off. I am nonetheless curious still about what I saw. I can't find a reference to a 32-20 Model 10 in the Blue Book.

Do you S&W experts know what I saw?

I really think this may have been an old enough gun that numbered models had been started yet.

Jim Watson

Undoubtedly a .32-20 Military and Police.
S&W dropped the caliber long, long before assigning model numbers in 1957. My book says 1940 was the last year.

Radicalcleric

Some folks just call all M&P K frames a M10 but the number wasn't used until about 1957. I agree on the 1940 +/- date on the 32-20.

C.R.Sam

Agree with Jim n Pig.

32-20 WCF Hand Ejector was born before 1902 (second model was in 1902)....went through three models and several changes. Always on the K size frame. Last production in 1940.

Different critter from the .32 Hand Ejector. They were on the tiny I frame (later on larger J frame).

One wants to be well armed with knowledge when lookin at one to buy. Many variations and easy to have an incorrect mix of parts. Value could run from $75 to $500 for good shooting condition and reasonable to very nice appearance. Beware of refinish on the old ones.

Sam

I just bought one of these.

Very likely a Model of 1905, could have been any one of 4 changes.

1940 was tacitly the last year of production, but it's likely that none were produced after 1937-39 or so. Sales of most guns had fallen off drastically, with the "oddball" calibers falling even worse.

S&W was, due to the Depression, heading south at a rapid clip until the British came along with $1 million for production of the Light Rifle.

After that project failed badly, and the Brits demanded their money back, S&W offered to supply K-frame revolvers in .380-200, which was jumped at.

In 1940 virtually every caliber other than .38 was removed from production as the company ramped up to fulfill British, and then American, handgun orders for the war.

Lone Star

If you want to know more on .32/20 S&W's, get the December, "Handloader" and/or the 2003 edition of, "Gun Digest".
The latter has both a separate .32/20 story and a good item on S&W K-frame target revolvers. You may learn something from the latter. I did, and I thought I knew it all. There are, for instance, differences between the Models 14 and 15 other than barrel length. Older M&P Target models are included.

Lone Star

Lone Star

Mike-

Two writers:
The .32/20 item is by Marshall Williams
The other story is by Hollis M. Flint.

I don't recognize either byline, but both are skilled scribes.

Lone Star