what rounds for ak47 home defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1911rocks

7.62x39mm SD Ammo

Iwent out and tested this very thing last week I used Handloaded 124SP, the HP and the Winchester FMJ. On an individual brick from 25yds the bricks were fragmnented. No major difference between them. I also had an opportunity to try on a brick wall on a house we were demolishing. Though big chunks were kocked out the wall remained intact. I also tried above the Brick wainscoat and they penetrated the Vinyl Siding, The drywall, and (2) interior walls. See, the Three Little Pigs knew what they were doing.

FairWarning

Wolf JHP wouldn't be as bad, but still too much penetration for home defense (even if you live alone on a 40 acre lot!).

I use 12 GA 00 Buck. :D Browning Hi Power backup with 21 round extended mag and Ragner 127s.

zombieslayer

Wolf hp's - but I don't personally use my ak for hd. I feel like my mini is my longarm of choice for protecting the castle. I figure if there's ever cause to use it and the news shows up, if rather be portrayed as a homeowner with a sporting semi-auto than an "evil tallyban assault gun". I love AK's just don't like the "evil" stigma that goes with them. If all I had was an AK, I'd definitely use it for HD.

p99guy

Hornady has a new load coming out with a 123gr V-max bullet....sounds like it would make a good HD/SD round for the 7.62x39 owners.

(Un)Broken0351

i love my ak47, sometimes more then my wife.(she doesn't need to know:D) but for H.D. is not a good choice. no matter what its going threw walls, the neighbors cat and into the outside wall of the third house down.

just my .02 cents:D

bamaranger

article

The annual "AK" Peterson Publishing mag gives a good review of Brown Bear 125 gr SP for SD.

The various import hollowpoints are an improvement over FMJ, but not consistent. Some seem to explode violently, others act little better than FMJ.

There's quite a bit of footage on youtube and other sources about x39 and gelatin.

EdInk

I am a big fan of AKs but they aren't ideal for home defense. Get a handgun and/or shotgun. Firing off rifle rounds inside your home isn't the best choice.

JiminTexas

If you don't care who or what is on the other side of that plasterboard wall and you have a twenty round magazine loaded up, what difference does it make what kind of bullets you are using?

Why is it that every time someone mentions a rifle for home defense we have to have the conversation about bullet construction and penetration?

Newsflash - anything that will meet the FBI standards for law enforcement ammunition is going to penetrate multiple interior walls if you miss - this includes pistol rounds and buckshot as well.

Some rifle rounds may present a threat to your neighbors. Some may not. This will depend on bullet construction and intervening barriers. If you are using the latest high speed 40gr varmint grenade and it sails through your floor-to-ceiling window, then it may still pose a risk to neighbors (as will 9mm and buckshot). If you are using a semi-auto .308 with FMJ and pulling the trigger as fast as you can, even a brick-sided home may not contain the rounds.

However, the best way to minimize the "overpenetration" problem is to:

1. Stop the threat in as few shots as possible
2. Hit the threat when you do fire

Rifles lend themselves well to both of those problems and with the right bullet selection can penetrate even less than pistol or buckshot.

For example, this 7.62x39mm Hornady 123gr VMax actually penetrates LESS than the FBI recommended standards for PISTOL ammunition in bare gel. And this Federal Hi-Shok 123gr softpoint penetrated about the same as many common law enforcement pistol rounds (but with a much bigger wound cavity).

On the flip side, Wolf 154gr softpoint penetrated the entire gelatin block and another 5" of polyester fiber being used to catch the bullet. It might not be the best choice where neighbors are concerned, even though it is a softpoint 7.62x39.

rickyrick

when the wife and kids are out, and with a rifle that has been rendered safe, or even with a mock rifle.....practice jumping out of bed, getting up from the couch, the dinner table, laundry room, mowing grass or whatever...and retrieve your rifle from its storage local and see how long it takes you. I am sure that it's not going to be strapped to your back during all of these activities.

Now try it with a toy pistol, that is always present on your body.

A good dog and a pistol is all that is needed...the dog usually deters bad guys, but a minimum give you an advanced warning.

don't live in a place that doesn't allows dogs, move.

weather you you use a rifle or not, the dog is the most important factor. If you can support and care for multiple dogs, get as many as your local law allows for, usually four. don't get litter mates, they will not get along in most cases, they can share the same parents as long as they are of different ages.

that concludes my public service announcement.

demigod

As I understand it, the WOLF Open tip bullet isn't designed for expansion. It's an economical means of producing bullets.

overland

I think the very sight of an AK47 leveled at some perp. will cause them to crap their pants and run like Carl Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.