What rifle should i use?

hunter33

I have no idea what rifle i should get im gonna be hunting elk and deer mostly and most of you said 30-06 but i want something a little more modern i really like the 25-06 but seems a little to small for elk please help me

pdawg_shooter

The 30-06 is the do-all go to cartridge for North American hunting. Never mind that it is a 100 years old. There are some cartridges out there that will do certain things better, but there is nothing out there that will do so much so well. Kink of like the 1911A1, they have been trying to improve on that for darn near 100 years too, but its still the best combat handgun around!

Dirty_Harry

Shot placement is the most important thing. The .25-06 will do it, with the right placement. I would say get the .30-06, it is right in the middle. The 7mm Mag is a popular choice and also the .300 mag. .308 works well, as does .280 and .270. Just pick a rifle that suits you and good hunting.

jhgreasemonkey

The 30-06 is a great choice regardless of age. The 25-06 is not a new cartridge either though. If you want a good commercialy new cartridge check out the .338 federal for deer and elk hunting. Its not a new cartridge to wildcaters though they have been loading their own for years. Its just a .338 bullet in a .308 win case. But its commercialy new now that its offered in factory ammo and guns. Its becoming fairly popular because it is practical and effective. I would rather have a 338-06 personaly because of the larger case capacity but thats just my prefference.

Team CTC-Joe

The 30-06 would give you the widest selection of guns, universal availability for cartridges (especially in small towns), cost effectiveness by the laws of supply and demand and one of the widest range weights and loadings...

What are you looking for when you think more "modern"?

Depending on where your at in Oregon (large open areas) you could consider a flatter shooting cartridge for distance. 7mm seems to fill that pretty well, but has cost, availability, and platform restrictions.

BlondieStomp

i like the 308s alot does andbody know the top range

Well I've shot moderately successfully at 1000 yards with 175gr black hills smk loads, so 4-500 yards with a good hunting bullet in an appropriate weight(168gr+) is definitely feasible.

That said, if you're taking a 4-500 yard shot on elk you're probably doing something wrong.

Alakar

Go with the 30-06. You have the widest range of rifles available (bolt action, pump, semi-auto, single shot) and the widest range of loadings. Ammo is available everywhere and last but not least it can be used effectively on any North American game (although I would prefer something heavier for Grizzly or Polar Bear).

biglabsrule

That's priceless that you say you don't want a .30-06 then say how about a .308...

The .308 is the same exact round just shortened up basicaly :p

a .308 is short action, so a rifle in .308 will be slightly lighter than the same gun in .30-06, almost the same balisticaly with the .30-06 having slightly better charachteristics...

I'd say go with a .30-06 as first choice(or a .308 but about the same), or a .270win,[yes win, not wsm, because for about the same velocity exc. you loose round capacity and pay alot more for ammo if you can find it at your local shop]... stick with a mainstreem round, they're popular and have stuck around for a reason, they have everything needed with very little to be desired..~~!

If you don't follow this advice I would at least say stick with a .270in. round or better, personaly I'd stay with something in .308 caliber, incase you ever want to reload(or find someone who could reload for you ;p).... that is all enough has been said, everyone has advised you correctly, if you don't want to listen then just go shop around and talk to people in person at the shops, maybe other hunters there, not so much the salesman selling the latest 3grand magnum rifle...

USMCG_HMX1

I've seen firsthand that the 7mm Mag, .30-06, and the .308 all perform well in taking elk.

I would suggest you find which one you like based on recoil, length of pull, and qualities/options that YOU want YOUR rifle to have. After all, its your money and eventually will be your rifle.

Kris

shooter_john

To answer your 25-06 question, I think 120ish grain bullets are as heavy as you'll find. I've been consistently getting sub 1/2MOA accuracy @ 2780fps out of my new Savage Tactical in 25-06 with the Hornady 117gr Spitzer BT's, but it will only be for whitetail hunting. (Unless we now have elk in Alabama that I haven't heard about.) As someone else stated, there is little difference in the 30-06 and the 308, except action length. If your wanting something more "modern" maybe try the 7mm-08 or 260 Remington. Either of those would probably be more appropriate for Elk than the 25-06. 260/ 6.5's seem to be the hottest thing going right now too.