What rifle for 500yds + average ?

Nimitz87

looking for a long range target shooter most likely in .308 (any other suggestions of caliber?)

I know glass is just as or more important in these cases but thats for another thread.

heres what i've been looking at.

obviously price is money...also allows me to spend more on better glass looking to spend under $700 for the rifle.

Savage Savage 12BVSS - bolt action .308 laminated stock AccuTrigger™, stainless barreled action, heavy fluted, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, internal box magazine and swivel studs $565

Remington 700 VLS .308 - seems much the same... as ^^^ $600

T3 Varmint SS .308 - heavy barrel SS synthetic stock, detachable mag (cant top off w/o detaching??) heard mixed reviews...some love them and praise them while showing VERY impressive groupings while others say they arent any better than a remington and over priced and QC questionable... $675

CZ 550 Varmint- again laminated stock, Pachmayr buttplate, heavy barrel, dont know much about it hear they are a good value. $640

or theres the CZ 550 Varmint with the Kevlar stock...only difference the one with the H-S precision kevlar stock... $690

Any other rifle suggestions?

opinions on the ones listed?

Chad

Zak Smith

For arbitrary-distance long range rifle shooting, take a look at this paper on optics selection which covers a lot of the issues-- http://demigod.org/optics

For this type of thing, I believe 308 is good to about 800 yards. Beyond there, windage error becomes much more difficult to manage, and you have to start dealing with the trans-sonic boundary.

Of the rifles you mention, the Remington 700 VLS/PSS has the best record for shooting well out of the box. I've heard good things - though lesser in volume - about the Savage.

I would expect the Tikka to shoot well, but not many LR shooters I know shoot them.

joshua

I have a PSS in 308 that shoots pretty good. I haven't really shot it that much, but it has given me .75 moa with 168 gr BTHPM Sierra. I haven't had a chance to play with the bullets mentioned, Hornady match brass, Varget and federal match primers. I heard it's very promising... josh

Jim Watson

I have been to a few Long Range F-class shoots with a more experienced friend. The most common factory rifle is Savage. Get the single shot version, every little bit of stiffness in the assembly helps.

The various wannabe sniper rifles are conspicuous by their absence in 1000 yard competition.

scheirere

Single shot or internal magazine?

Jim,
Is the added strenght of the single shot really noticable? I have a 12 BVSS-S
(single shot) in .223 that is accurate beyond belief. Which is driving me to buy one in .308 for 300+ yrds work and I'm struggling with the decision on which version of the 12BVSS to buy. Most places have the magazine fed model but not the single shot. I can have it ordered or go through the internet but it's more hassle. Know what I mean? On a side note, I'm glad to see all the positive remarks regarding the Savage 12. I was woundering if I had an anomoly as mass produced guns are not supposed to shoot this well! :)

Jim Watson

Well, I am not a good enough shot to tell the difference between a single shot and a repeater assuming equal barrels and good bedding. If there was a good deal of price difference, I'd get the repeater and put the savings into a better scope.

scheirere

Jim,
Actually they are about the same price but I would have to pay more to get the single shot because no one has them on the shelf. Not much but I'd also have to go through the hassle of ordering it and all that jazz. I'd rather have the repeater for the convenience on susbsequent shots but like I said before.....the .223 BVSS-S I have is unbelieveable and I don't want to give up any of it's performance.:)

ethernectar

As mentioned above:
jpSendero_800.jpg

Custom JP Sendero in 300 WM. Custom McMillan A5 stock, Premier Reticle Leupold Mk4, Badger hardware throughout.

Nimitz87

I've decided on either a remington a 700 VSF....

glass... going with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50:cool:

Harris bi-pod, badger rings....maybe if I need/want to upgrade the stock to a Mcmillian...down the road...how is the VSF stock?

Should be one accurate rifle...

Chad

cansniper

From all these, the most accurate out of a box is for sure Tikka T3.I went through too many rems and tikkas, tikka always won.....

dale taylor

I have Mod 98 Mauser with Douglas barrel I purchased 20 years ago at local gunshow for $100. Have added 7-15 scope and recoil pad. Shoots 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards. Is noisy, but recoil is very tolerable. Total investment is <200. Search the shows. daleltaylor@att.net

Nimitz87

dale where do you live in the great state of Florida?

sure hope your not in the path of Wilma! (im on the west coast right on the dotted line its suppose to follow)

but it dawned on me...if im eventually going to replace the stock why go for the varmint laminated stock...and save another $200 and get the 700 SPS (Special Purpose Synthetic) its the same rifle but just a different stock right?

Chad

Hello123

Even though I stole your quote, please listen to me! Hah, Hah. I think the Savage would be my pick. The accutrigger is a plus. The others are all great as well. I value function above form.