What Pythons looked like in rhe 1890's

lewwallace

Webley WG's(thats GOVERNMENT not Green) A Target and an Army model. In 455/476cf and450/455 cf, respective. These was the cows udders of perfection in revolvery!!

Attachments

• 20151024_105412-1(2).jpg
    20151024_105412-1(2).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 390

Bob Wright

Sorry to disagree with you, but that may be true on the other side of the Atlantic, but here we had the Colt Single Action Army.

Bob Wright

gyvel

Sorry to disagree with you, but that may be true on the other side of the Atlantic, but here we had the Colt Single Action Army.

LOL! You compare a design that stemmed from the 1830s to a Webley Govt. revolver? Surely you jest.

Bob Wright

LOL! You compare a design that stemmed from the 1830s to a Webley Govt. revolver? Surely you jest.

I jest not. I can still buy a brand new Colt Single Action Army. Not only that, I can buy copies of the grand old Single Action, and in .44 Magnum also. Bill Ruger seemed to appreciate the Single Action. And I've made kills, clean kills, at distances unheard of with a Webley.

When I put fire to the powder, I want it done with a Single Action!

Bob Wright

Model12Win

I agree with Bob.

Webleys really cannot be compared to a Colt's Python, in terms of looks or functionality. Built well? Maybe. But that does not a snake make methinks.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Of course a WG cannot be compared to a Python; the latter benefits from years of development, better powders, better manufacturing methods, far better steel, etc.

But to compare the WG to an SAA, the situation is reversed. The Webley was a much more advanced design, a good double action, a better SA than the Colt and, needless to say, much faster loading. The British cartridges were less powerful than the .45 Colt and .44 WCF, but were generally adequate. And no topbreak will be as durable in the long run as a solid frame or a swing cylinder gun.

Americans instinctively react to any criticism of U.S. products, always believing that their (fill in blank) is superior because it is American. But if that is always so, why do we continue to buy goods marked "Made in China"?

The U.S. guns of that time had one advantage, though, an industrial base that was ahead of the English in turning out quality interchangeable parts with little hand fitting. That didn't really make the guns better, but it did make them more suitable to the military environment.

Jim

Kosh75287

I submit that the Webleys should be christened "Micrurus", instead of Pythons. Both are lethal, they just inflict their lethality in different ways. I think those Webleys are beautiful. And I could shoot Webleys better than I could any Python, except in slow fire.

highpower3006

I like the Webleys. I really do. And I want one of the WWI government contract models in .455 Eley to go with my WWI British government contract S&W .455 MkIII. They are a relatively robust design within the parameters of the pressures of the cartridges they were designed for.

But.....they are a homely as a mud fence, and while that is one of their charms, they just don't have the simple elegance of a SAA Colt or even that of a period S&W hand ejector.

CajunBass

Yea...the Webley might have been a good gun, but they just look awkward to me, but I freely admit that I've never even laid eyes on one, much less actually shot one.

FrankenMauser

Snobby and/or elitist opinions aside (joke or not), I actually prefer the Webley to any Colt revolver.

They were built for function, not looks. That, in my book, is what matters the most.
Great revolvers, even if they were considered "underpowered" by some people.

And, in all honesty, it's the snobbiness and elitist attitude of Colt cultists that has turned me off from their revolvers more than anything else. It doesn't help that the Colts that I've had a chance to mess with haven't really impressed me.... :rolleyes:
Sort of like .25-06 owners...

jad0110

I like the Webleys. I really do. And I want one of the WWI government contract models in .455 Eley to go with my WWI British government contract S&W .455 MkIII. They are a relatively robust design within the parameters of the pressures of the cartridges they were designed for.

But.....they are a homely as a mud fence, and while that is one of their charms, they just don't have the simple elegance of a SAA Colt or even that of a period S&W hand ejector.

I agree completely, especially on the looks of the S&W hand ejectors and the SAA. The Webleys are like a bull dogs ... so ugly they are cool looking :D !

Howdy

Here is my idea of perfection in a 19th Century double action revolver. A pair of S&W 44 Double Actions, chambered for 44 Russian. Top one is a nickel plated target model, made in 1895, bottom one is a standard blued one made in 1881. I just love the funky 19th Century shape of the triggers on these guns.

These were also available in the more powerful 44-40 chambering, and a very few were made in 38-40.

Two44DAs02_zpsa8d18ab5.jpg

aarondhgraham

You Webley naysayers have no soul,,,

You Webley naysayers have no soul,,,
Those old guns are like steam locomotives.

Big, brutal, and beautiful.

They are the original steampunk handguns.

I want a cased set with one each of these revolvers:

Heavy metal revolvers at their finest.

I bite my thumb at the upstart Peacemakers! :p

Aarond