What products to use?

TCman

I have 4 semi-auto pistols: hk p7psp, beretta 3032 tomcat, SA XD 45, and a Sig p225 p6. I normally clean them just like i do my shotguns or rifles. Is this ok, or should i use something besides rem oil on the slides?

BigJimP

I'm assuming you mean, like your shotguns ... to mean you strip them down and clean them .....bfore you oil or lube them. Rem Oil is a good oil, but so is Break Free, Rem Oil, Wilson's lube, etc.

Cleaning is different than lubing / but I presume you know that ..... and what you use to clean them is mostly a personal choice ( Pro 7, Hoppes, Barnes, etc ) but you need to get the frames, slides, barrels, etc cleaned and lead or copper removed as well. After they are cleaned, personally I alwasy lube the slide, frame, springs, bushings, etc for re-asseblly with a light out - and Rem Oil is a good product - although I prefer Break Free especially on the slide. Internally on a shotgun like the trigger group on most sem-autos or on an over under - I will use a light spray oil - and again Rem Oil is fine although personally I use Rig Oil.

Last edited:

zoomie

Breakfree is about as good a all-in-one as you're gonna find. You can buy a copper solvent and a lead solvent and a powder solvent and a lube and a rust inhibitor. Or (unless you're taking your guns with you on America's Cup) you can just use Breakfree for everything and be well protected.

woodland

Breakfree is good. Personally, I have found that Rem Oil seems to "dry out" after awhile, and is a little light for my liking. For lubrication purposes I have been using Outers 3-In-1 oil. It is a little thicker, and seems to "stay put" where you want it better. It also does not dry out or gum up. I just ran my AR through a three day course firing about 900 rounds with one cleaning, and did not have one issue. My Glock 22 has also run hundreds of rounds at a time without drying out or gumming up with this oil.

I am a believer in minimal lubrication, and like to keep the lube only where it is actually needed. Having oil or grease all over the place only collects dust dirt and residue, making it get dirty faster and cleaning harder. Just my $.02.

BigJimP

Don't grease the rails - that's way too heavy a product.

Unless you're in a dessert environment don't be afraid to lube a 1911 / they run a lot better wet than dry. I clean them every time I go to the range anyway / so clean them and lube them often. Break Free is a much better lube than Rem Oil or Rig Oil - it fills the pores of the metal much better. Rem Oil and Rig Oil are very light products.

ChicagoTex

I'm old school and real simple... copper bore brushes for the first run (gets the bulk out and saves a lot of patches and time), alternate hoppes #9 and dry patches on the barrel until clean, use hoppes #9 patches everywhere else to collect miscellaneous soot/guck, dry it all off, lube the contact points, put her back together.

I'd probably lightly lube the inside of my barrels if I wasn't planning to shoot something for a while, but since all my guns are shooters, I don't bother.