What price would you pay for freedom?

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I do not know anything about any of you people. Yet, everyday, we share on TFL many laughs, tears, experiences about this wonderful hobby. Whether you are black, white, Asian, etc, it matters not. RKBA sees no race, religion or sexual preference. The freedom, which makes this country great, is evident with our rights to bear arms. That right cannot be forgotten nor denied!

War had devastated the entire nation of their homeland. Monuments that endured acts of Mother Nature fell into piles of rubble from weapons of destruction. Communism took over as the governing system. Everything that is American was frowned upon. Things like independence, freedom of speech, freedom to think, the right to bear arms were non-existent. There is no such thing as the bill of rights. The big brother effect slowly overtook their entire country. What price would you pay for freedom?

A young man, his pregnant wife and two children gave the ultimate sacrifice. Their family was the wealthiest ménage in a southern Vietnamese port city. They lived in a large house with many luxuries. They had everything people in Vietnam ever wanted. Yet knowing by fleeing as political refugees, the family would live in poverty. With many tears, they relinquished everything they knew, loved ones to provide a better life for their children. Even with all the obstacles that lied ahead, the family said goodbye to family and friends and planned their escape. What price would you pay for freedom?

So one fearful night, the family escaped from Vietnam illegally. With their small bags, they boarded a ship fated for Malaysia. The ship they traveled on held so many dreams and hopes. Many of the passengers had no idea those dreams will soon shatter into the bottom of uncaring ocean. What price would you pay for freedom?

During their journey, one by one, people began dying from dehydration. What was once a ship with fifty-six passengers, slowly shrank to thirty-eight. With confusion swirling through their minds, the family watched body after body thrown overboard. One by one, lifeless souls sank into the clear Asian Pacific water. What price would you pay for freedom?

Shortly after their arrival in Malaysia, the young lady gave birth to a frail boy. Once a refugee family of four now had grown to five. With the birth of the baby, survival became even tougher. The family at times had to dig in garbage cans for their next meal. What price would you pay for freedom?

Finally, luck rode into their lives. After rejections from many different countries, the United States of America accepted the family for immigration. They rejoiced knowing a Mennonite family had embraced their desolate hearts as sponsors. The Mennonite family took care of filling out the proper paper work and making sure not to miss any details. With their knowledgeable guidance in the American system, the entire family was soon in Oakland, California. What price would you pay for freedom?

Despite our past twenty and a half years in "The Land of Plenty”, my parents cling to their frugality and tremendous respect for food, acquired by necessity throughout our lives in Malaysia. The sharp contrast between my Americanized perspective and old views and habits retained by my mom and dad, make many debates a common occurrence. Besides performing all the prescribed functions of a "parental unit," my parents helped me attain objectivity in my judgments by demonstrating how cultural background affects our view of situations.

Looking back upon the memories of my existence in the United States, I thank God for being our personal guardian angel. The courage my parents hold within their Herculean hearts, cannot be described with words a lone. Even with Hemmingway like poetry, no stroke of the pen could depict the respect I hold for mom and dad. I pray they are proud of the achievements of my fellow siblings and I. Each of us took the opportunities the United States presented and pursued higher education.

Come March 18th, it will be twenty and one half years since my family immigrated to the United States. It will also mark the 9th anniversary of my naturalization as a US citizen. I would have posted this essay on that date but I will be making a long journey back to my homeland to see firsthand where I came from.

I hope that I did not bore you with this long thread. We must remember that the freedom we have as Americans is too valuable to forget. I just hope that you look back upon your ancestors, and thank them for the price they paid for freedom.

12-34hom

From my family..

I would have to say...

Vietnam's loss...

Was a true an American gain..:)

I had the privledge of meeting this young man and we shared thoughts and traded some stories. Son; You and all others like you are what makes America strong and what freedoms all about.

Hope your trip to your homeland brings you happiness my friend.

Charlie; aka 12-34hom P.S. = Julie says hello too!!

Jim V

Dadgummit...

Son, I got leaky eyed reading that. Give my regards to your parents, I am proud to call you a cyber friend.

Doc Hudson

Tell your parent that we think they raised a fine son and a Good American Citizen.

If push comes to shove, I can only hope to display the raw courage your parents displayed.

Regards,
Doc Hudson

Sodbuster

I admire you greatly, Son, for the pride you show toward your parents. You honor them. I place a lot of stock in what I can see in a parent-child relationship.

JimR

{sniff)(wipe tear)

I wish one fourth of the native citizens of the U.S. had one fourth of the concept of "liberty" that you have as a naturalized citizen. The country wouldn't be in the predicament it is today.

Thanks for serving in our military (as I'm believe I'm correct in saying, from your previous posts), and for sharing your family history and thoughts and feelings on freedom. Good luck on your upcoming trip to the land of your parents.

Marko Kloos

I will be a United States citizen this year. I know exactly what you are talking about, Son. I still wake up in the morning and marvel at the fact that I have the opportunity to be a part of all this. I think it's great that you are going to explore your past...it made you who you are, and it will be a part of your future as well.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
By comparison, my folks and I had it easy. Only ten years of fear from the initial bid to leave the USSR to the eventual escape.

This country is full of people who are more afraid of being at the mercy of the state than even of armed combat. Unlike the locals who see the flaws of the system more than the good sides, the newcomers know the price of not living the American way.

ArmySon, I am glad that you are here.

I met a man here who, after getting his family out of Czechoslovakia, had to ski to Austria. He thinks he had set speed records because several Russians were shooting at him from about one click as he was getting away.

One has to wonder why people are willing to risk their lives to get out of certain countried and why they end up in America by preference. I, personally, also wonder why certain un-American bastards won't move to Cuba, Russia or some other hell-hole of their ideological preference.

Jim March

I had it easy but...

My father was a Brit, came to the US at age 26, met my mom here. But, he worked as a machinist and knew a lot of Europeans...he also liked soccer, played some semi-pro and then coached kids and of course that whoele scene in the US is full of Europeans...including some who escaped Hungary and Chekoslovakia one step ahead of the secret police or tanks. I remember their stories. As a young teen I read Solshenitskin(sp?) - "A Day In The Life Of Ivan Deniskovich" and "The Gulag Archipalego".

I didn't forget any of it.

As to what I'd pay, well, I've been involved in two lawsuits over CCW abuse in California, the first filed 9/15/99 pro-per.

I'm glad of course that neither flight nor fight is absolutely necessary to have a chance at restoring freedom, at least right now.

Jim

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
For those who fought for it,
freedom has a taste the protected will never know."

This statement has been attributed to many people, found in many places, and
often quoted in many variations. The sentiments obviously are true and
accurate.

However, in our sincere desire to honor our veterans, let’s remember that
many “non-combatants” have felt not only the horrors of war, but the
oppression of tyranny.

Many of our Founding Fathers could have led comfortable lives as wealthy
subjects of the English king. Like Son’s parents, they put everything at risk for
Freedom. Even then, “All gave some. Some gave all.”

Son’s story is unique in its details and quite moving. Hopefully it will remind
us of another well-worn phrase, “Freedom isn’t free!”

What our Founding Fathers gave us,
What our ancestors and families have sacrificed and died for,
What families such as Son’s have come to America to find,
Defines the Freedom and Liberty we are obligated to restore and preserve.

And that, my friends, is what we must do “For the children.”
-----

Thank you, Son, for showing us once again what we should be doing as
Americans. It’s an honor to know you.

K80Geoff

Dangit ArmySon!

Here I was getting ready to heap abuse upon you for setting up the Great Northeast TFL shoot and not showing up! I told everyone you had run off to Bangkok for some...Ah ...Recreation.

Those of us who did show up had a great time, although it was way too short. I suppose we will have to set up another shoot and drag you in chains to it:)

Freedom is indeed worth making a sacrifice for, as your family well knows. If we as Americans aren't vigilant we could easily end up like your homeland, which, in spite of all the positive propaganda put out by the left, is still not a free country, and has suffered terribly because of it.

If you think I am just a little paranoid, consider this. Yesterday at the TFL Northeast shoot,(Shameless Plug) I was able to hand my pistols to fellow shooters to shoot and hopefully enjoy. As we were shooting in Pennsylvania this was perfectly OK and legal. Here's the kicker, In my home state of NY I would have broken the law and we would all have been felons! Under NY state law I could not even allow my wife (If I of course had one) to touch my guns without breaking the state law!

We like to talk about this country being free, but we are like the proverbial frog, slowly being boiled to death by the forces of our internal enemies.

ArmySon you may think you escaped Tyranny as a child, but it exists here and if we aren't vigilant you children may not have any place to go.

And next time you had better show up, or else:D

Geoff Ross

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Geoff,
With snowing looming in the air, a 2 hour drive, bags to pack and laundry to do, my weekend has been a horror. To top that off, I still haven't received my Chinese Visa yet. Thank God, I can fly on a whim because of frequent flier miles. Rest assured, I'll be at the next get together. Unless of course, it falls in the same time frame as my summer vacation ;)

Bangkok? Why would I want to go there?

To follow up with Dennis' post, there are indeed the obvious vets that went to war. They were brave souls who risked everything to protect our freedom. Let not forget the wives, girlfriends and loved ones who were at home praying, crying, living in the uncertainty every night. They too, were the very brave and courageous ones.

Son