What press is best?

aushunter

Hi all, Im about to get into reloading & I am after opinions on which press to get. As this will be my first time at reloading I am after any tips on which are the best quality presses, I have looked at Lee, Hornady, RCBS & they all look good but they must have individual flaws of some kind?
I am thinking of going for a Hornady LNL AP or RCBS turret.
Any suggestions welcomed.

wncchester

Actually, personal preferences aside and while they are somewhat different in some trivial ways, it boils down to user features one person likes and another doesn't. None of them have any flaws, you can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, of the two you list, the LnL AP will actually speed your reloading.

The turret model really won't do much but store dies you aren't using. That's okay if you only load one, or two, cartridges. Otherwise, you have to swap dies anyway so a common turret has no speed value and it's harder to reload precision rifle ammo on one (due to slack/spring in the press, that turret has to have a bit of slop or it couldn't turn!).

jmortimer

The Lock-N-Load (along with Dillion) are the best progressives. I like the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press but there are others that are good as well. I would suggest reading owner reviews/comments on the Midway USA and Cabelas sites which will tell you what you need to know about any particular press. People here there and every where will all have their favorite "color." But actual owner reviews on the sites mentioned will give you some good information.

rwilson452

A good deal depends on what your going to be reloading and what your going to be doing with the ammunition you produce. But before you buy a press I suggest you do a lot of reading. A few suggestions, "The ABC's of reloading, Lyman's 49th edition of "Metallic reloading" and Lee's "Modern Reloading".

Jim243

Rifleman, that hirts! While some are better than others, none of them are bad. I can not afford to find out for myself which is the best, so I went with what I could afford. And I am still very happy with what I bought six years ago. A Lee Classic Turret Press. The rest of my money I spent on guns.

Jim

Last edited:

Sevens

If you are looking for a progressive machine, it's a two horse race. The Hornady LNL AP or one of the fine machines made by Dillon. All the others are also-rans. The Lee progressives can be run effectively by folks who learn to love them, but they cost much less and it shows at every angle.

The RCBS is a hilarious footnote when it comes to progressive machines... they cost as much as a house and because of that, almost nobody buys them. They are most likely very fine machines, but they'll never be as popular as the LNL or any of the Dillon setups. Few retailers sell them and finding folks who own them is futile. (maybe this comment will flush them out! ;))

Lococop

Beginner Press

I just started reloading myself about 6 months ago. I went with the new Lee Breech Challenger Single stage press. It is working GREAT for me. It has everything you need for a beginner reloader. The breech lock system is God sent and the incorportated primer (large and small) system with the ejection feature makes life easier. I reload the 460 S&W Mag, 454 Casull and the 45 Long Colt. I'm having a blast with no problems with the actual functions of the press. Down the road when you want to get more ellaborate, progressive presses are definitely an option. For now, this new Lee press is awesome. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

Bud Helms

I never even think of RCBS when it comes to progressives, so I just went to RCBS.com for a quick look. They don't look as pricey as Dillon, which I have.

Jim243

aushunter,

What is the most popular one, down under. That will give you an idea as to availability of parts and accessories. Otherwise you will be waiting for the stuff to cross the big pond.

Jim

Black Dog

Hi !

I`m new as well.

The veteran reloaders here are a great resource , but IMO without an idea of what calibers and in what quantity you want to reload them, you won`t get much information that`s useful to your specific needs.

wncchester

"All good except Lee."

Do you have anything but opinion to base that broad statement on? And in what way is any Lee press not "good"? :confused:

If I remember correctly, Lee makes some seven presses. Perhaps you could be bit more specific or do you just make blanket statements based on nothing specific? :rolleyes:

rjrivero

I love these threads. Almost as much as I like the Glock Vs. Everything else threads.

I like my Dillon 650. When I got it, there was nothing else even close on the market.

Today, I'm really impressed with the Lock N Load system. I may even add one to the bench one of these days.

Really, other than the price of conversions with the Dillon 650, I have no real complaints.

farmerboy

That's everyone's own opinion. Myself I personally like a good ole' RCBS single stage. I like doing each step indivually at my press, I really enjoy the whole process as much as shooting. Taking my time to make sure everything is precise and then making my rounds the most accurate they can be. For me, I dont crank out or shoot thousands every week. I shoot around 100-200 rounds a week and can loadthat much through the night if I choose to do so. Mostly, I just work on it alittle here and alittle there as time permits and You have to want to do it and do it right.

jhart

Not to take anything from the progessive style presses. But my grandfather, father and myself have used the RSBS rockchucker for years (over 40) and have never had issues. Yeah its not as fast as a turret style but once you get a system down it really isnt bad, and I think that slowing down and doing reloading in steps really helps get great loads. So my 2 cents goes towards the ole single stage RCBS rockchucker. Good luck and happy reloading.

hammie

I've been reloading for 40 years and I'm on my second RCBS rockchucker. The first one is now being used by my son-in-law. So, I would suggest an RCBS, a Redding big boss, or I might take a look at the Forster Co-ax.

BigJimP

One of the features on a new press - that I think is important - is a powder check die. A powder check die / eliminates squib rounds ( where you don't get a powder drop ) and it eliminates excessive powder drops ( so it eliminates potential double charges ). Its an added safety feature / but not all presses allow the installation of a powder check die ( Dillon's SDB and 500 do not allow it )...but the 650 does, so I think the 650 is a better press because of it. Other companies have the option on some of their machines.

Lots of companies make good machines / for the most part they just do it differently - there really isn't any bad equipment out there these days.

I like the Dillon 650 / and with a case feeder on it - it easily turns out 1,000 rds an hour. Dillon customer service is first class ...and helpful on setup issues / the downside, is they cost a little more. But with about 5 yrs in my Dillon 650 - for what its worth, I'd buy it again.

LOUD

I have the Hornady LnL AP and am well pleased with it ,I shoot maybe 300 rounds of 40 S&W and 223 Remington in a weekend and I can keep my ammo reserves almost constant. I have had an occasional hang up with the primer feed , but I think that is more of a setup issue than anything else. In my humble opinion, it is a well thought out and manufactured machine, as far as The Hornady reputation and warranty you just cant beat them , I had a recent problem with a sizing die,( My fault) I made one phone call and the represantative got me straight , sent me replacement parts and got em here in a hurry, After that I'll never own anything but Hornady. Im still amazed that a company did exactly as they said they would, Refreshing!!! For me its the LnL AP, get a press that meets your needs. LOUD