What powder for 32WCF(32-20)?

Nathan

Seems like there is data for any powder! What is ideal? I think I’m gonna jump on Quickload and look for help. What would you suggest?

Accuracy probably won’t happen. The S&W revolver was made in the 20’s and the bore is a bit rough.

Nathan

I should add, I want lighter loads like 17000 psi max and >60% case fill to prevent double charges. Looks like Ramshot Enforcer could be a good powder.

mehavey

Clays & Unique:
32-20-Cattleman-4-6gr-Unique-ACC31-115-C-30-1-sm.jpg

32-20-Cattleman-3-1-CLAYS-ACC31-115-C-30-1.jpg

Ramshot Enforcer is (way) too slow.
(66% burn in a 5" pistol barrel @16,000psi)

But also look for:
Alliant HERCO
Vihtavuori N105 *C
Vihtavuori N32C Tin Star

FWIW: Unless you're running a Progressive, Unique & Clays are fine if you just fill the loading
block with charged cases -- and look at the block as a whole before seating anything

Last edited:
I've been loading WW 231 for both of my revolvers, an S&W M&P and a Colt Police Positive Special.

I tried Trail Boss but the results I was getting were NOT satisfactory. Even with a pretty heavy crimp I was getting squib loads that I simply could not explain.

I've toyed with trying Red Dot or Universal (not sure if there is loading data out there for Universal or not) but haven't been shooting them enough to pursue it actively.

rodfac

In my 1930 vintage 5" bbl'd Smith Hand Ejector 4th variation, .32-20, I've had good results with Bullseye and 231 in moderate loads....My cylinder throats mic at 0.314" so that's what I size for.

Commercial LSWC's from Missouri Bullet Co. are a bit undersized but do well with moderate charges if they are re-lubed with Lee Liquid Alox thinned 30% with paint thinner. With the above or my own cast bullets weighing ~100-120 gr, I like 231 with charges from 4.0 to 4.4...these will produce sub-1.5" gps at 25 yds from a sandbagged rest. BE start a half a grain less to get equivalent accuracy and speed.

Unique is ok but hard to meter accurately in these very light charges, but BE and 231 work out better....BTW I'm loading for accuracy not speed in the Smith...Quickload may be able to estimate the muzzle speeds but I've never checked.

Ken Waters of Handloader Pet Loads fame found consistent ignition was a continuing problem with the .32-20 cartridge. I did as well and magnum primers were not the solution. Bullseye and 231 didn't show velocity aberrations with standard caps (Win, & Federal) however, so I did most of my load work ups with them.

You might try Hornady's 85 gr and 100 gr XTP JHP's with moderate charges if your bore is problematic. I've had good luck with both but since they're expensive, I generally cast my own. Lyman's 311008 & 311316GC are particularly good and allow you to size to 0.314"... a good working number for both my Smith and a Winchester M-92 rifle...see below.

I also use these same loads in a 1927 vintage Octagon bbl'd Winchester M-92...for woodchucks in the fence rows, out to ~70 yds, Hornady's 100 gr XTP are sure fire medicine. The rifle's tang peep sighted with an ivory bead front...a great hunting combination...

HTH's Rod

Last edited: