What powder for .243win with 65gr Berger match BT?

FiveInADime

My neighbor is a benchrester and he gave me a box of 65gr Berger Target BT bullets to try. I have RL-17 on hand but I don't want to use it up for these bullets and I imagine it burns a little slow. What powder might I try for these pills that I have a decent chance of finding locally? I thought imr4064 might work well, maybe imr4350 because I could use it for several .243 loads.

old roper

243 I use IMR-4350 and I shoot the Berger target FB 68gr bullet. I use IMR-4007ssc in a 243AI another good powder is IMR-3031. I've never shot IMR-4064 in the 243 so no help there.

Jim243

I am a bit of a stick in the mud person, the best powder I have found for bullets over 60 grains is H-4895. While I have used IMR & H-4350 for 243 & 270. I still feel the best burn rates and accuracy is achieved with H-4895. It may do with something about MY rifles (Savage) and again it may not just be the rifles and bullets I use (Hornady, V-Max, A-Max & SST.)

You may want to load up, 3 sets of rounds (5 each) with 3 different powders and see what's best for you.
Jim

4runnerman

Hey jim--If you get a shot
87 Hornady A Max
38 gn 4064

My Savage just loves them. Very Very accurate. Sub MOA always. Just a thought

Jim243

4runnerman,

I have a bunch of the 85 grainers, I'll see if I can find the 4064, haven't bought powder since Jan 2013. Seemed like everyone ran out all at the same time.

Thanks
Jim

FiveInADime

I used 4064 for 87gr V-Max, but I couldn't get any accuracy except at very mild loads. I started using H4350 instead and I found a wider accuracy range with good velocities. I think with these lighter 65gr bullets 4064 or Varget may work well. If I could only find some of it locally. I can't order enough to make it worth it to buy online.