What pistols do the Barcelona police carry?

Lexspeed

We have all watched the terrorist attack aftermath unfold on the news in Barcelona, Spain. The news video shows a lot of police on the streets. I noticed most have a holstered pistol that I assume is an auto loader. Does any one know what pistol the police there carry? :confused: A quick Google search didn't reveal specifics. I also wonder what other weapons they are carrying in the news feeds.

unit 900

FWIW I was in Barcenlona in April. There are three police agencies in play there. Barcelona municipal police, Catalonia state/regional police and National police. Subguns (HK mostly) in evidence on the street carried by officers in tourist rich areas. Wonderful city BTW, pretty women, good wine and food and lots to do.

Ricklin

Beautiful Barcelona

The attack in Barcelona hit me hard, I love that city. It's kind of funny to listen to the talking heads mispronounce Las Ramblas. Clue phone talking heads, the S's at the end are silent.:)

I do not however much care for dinner at midnight. Please pray for the innocent victims of this act of cowardice.

dean1818

Unfortunately......... I know..... I was in the Barcelona police station 2 years ago

Someone stole my laptop bag....

I saw HKs and Sigs ....... It looked like the SIGpro

Beautiful City, AWESOME food...........

A bit unsafe from pickpockets and common thiefs

mete

The officer who shot 4 or 5 terrorists is a woman ! I was wondering about guns and training also.

GoPappy

I was there in October 2013. Strolled up and down that same street and had dinner at a sidewalk cafe right there. We had no concerns about our safety (other than guarding against pickpockets).

This world has changed a lot in just 4 years.

Brit

It was funny. the first story "Female Officer shot 5. 4 dead"

Then they mentioned the Police Station? Which, because of the ratio, Females, to men? Might have ID'd that Officer. So, it is now a man, Ex-Special Forces?

In this day and age, in Police shootings, shoot 5, 4 dead? Sounds like an MP5 type of shoot? That H&K SubGun, awesome weapon for close up attack.

Short burst to upper chest, most likely mil spec hard ball! 3 or 4 entry wounds, the same amount of exit wounds.

Those wounds, delivered outside the Hospital, the patient is still gone.

BOOGIE the oily

Ricklin said:
It's kind of funny to listen to the talking heads mispronounce Las Ramblas. Clue phone talking heads, the S's at the end are silent.

Hmmm... no.
S's in Spanish are never silent. The only Spanish silent letter is "H".

"La Rambla" (no S's) means "The boardwalk" (singular), while "Las Ramblas" is it's plural, "the boardwalks".

"La Rambla" in Barcelona is a group of 5 streets. That's why it's called "Las Ramblas".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rambla,_Barcelona#Orientation

Groundhog34

I beg to differ on the Spanish actually Castellano pronunciation. I am fluent in the language and have spent a good bit of time in Spain and Columbia the 2 countries with the "best" pronunciation. As Boogie states the ONLY letter that is silent in Spanish is H. Spanish is an easy language to learn as every letter or combination of letter, diphthong is always pronounced the same. In French of which I am also fluent the last letter with a few exceptions is silent. In Catalan the local language of Barcelona of which I have a limited knowledge of, conversational, the S at the end is silent. Ramblas like many words in all languages has no exact translation into english in this case it means a "confluence of streets" in Barcelona. Malecon is often used for a boardwalk especially on the waterfront. I do not know of anywhere other than barcelona where ramblas is used extensively, camino is more common.

doofus47

For sure, it is a beautiful town. They local Catalan is very influenced by French-style speaking and they swallow a lot of final consonants. I can't remember hearing a local actually pronounce "Las Ramblas," so I have no opinion on the "correct" way to say something, but I'm betting if there' s a proper, Castillian way to say it, the Catalans are doing sometrhing else, probably intentionally.
I saw SIGs on the police who were wandering Las Ramblas last summer. I didn't see any HKs. The solider who was outside the army building near the peer had some type of 5.56 carbine and I think a Beretta.