What pistol do you want when TSHTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormtown

I hope this topic hasn't been already beat to death on TFL, but here it goes: Assuming limited funds of the average person, what pistol do you want to own when TSHTF and why?

Let me clarify when TSHTF: I mean not just a BG encounter in today's societal context, but lets assume a social breakdown or Y2K scenario in progress. But the choice would also have to be good for CCW, and versatile to deal with non-two legged BGs, reliable, etc.

After reading threads on the 9mm effectiveness (or lack thereof) in wild dog and 'gator encounters, I realized there would be much more to worry about than two legged BGs, and in many animal encounters a 9mm is woefully inadequate. But then, it is often impractical to carry low capacity large caliber large frame handguns, especially for CCW.

I'm thinking a 9mm high cap semi auto would probably be a good choice despite questions about effectiveness of the round because the 9mm is a NATO round and so ubiquitous, it should still be possible to scavenge ammo if the end of the work as we know it (TEOTWAWKI) happens. Plus it might be a good idea to have a small G26 as a back up.

I own a Ruger 9mm KP95DC. I think it is execellent quality for the money and good for practive, but probably not combat reliable, and it's blockiness is not good for CCW. Should I get hicap mags for it, or trade it in for something better? Maybe a Glock, Sig, Walther or H&K?

What would you chose? To keep the KP95DC or not is the question. (I don't have adequate funds to keep adding without subtracting something).

I'm thinking a versatile arsenal would be:
--Hicap 9mm (probably Glock)
Good for multiple 2 leg BGs, wild dogs, and other things that require many rounds to put down.

--G26 for backup
Especially potent for 2 leg BGs and CCW.

--AR-15 or Mini-14 with 30 round mags
Good for ammo availability, range, hi-cap, and most non-2 leg BGs

--Remington 870 Express w/magnum reciever
Good for just about everything else

Ben

Ive heard bad things about just every single pistol; but the Ruger line of semi-auto pistols is about as reliable as you can get... therefore I respectfully disagree with you. I'd take my ruger over many of the more fashionable pistols.

There's practically a unanimous vote that the rugers ARE a little blocky but "tough as nails." No safeties to worry about, just a decocker. The P-95 really isn't that blocky when you consider it carries 16 rounds (15+1).

take care,
Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited August 04, 2000).]

leedesert

I would go with a Glock 30 with 4 magazinnes of 230 FMJ. I'd have about 5k round of 230 ball on the side as well.
I'd go with ball for availability and consistancy.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16
NRA lifer
GOA
GSSF
KABA

Steve Smith

My wife and I will have our 1911's as our sidearms. I will have some type of .308 caliber semi-auto rifle (possibly a Vepr or M1A) with a good scope and my wife will perform rear guard tasks with an AK with Kobra sight.

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited August 02, 2000).]

jimmy

In terms of the proposed scenario, I'd consider a G21 as primary PDW, a G30 as backup, a Remington 870 Police, and an AR with a collapsible stock. But I'd reach for the shotgun first.

I think hi-caps tend to be more useful in a military than a civilian situation. However, if the scenario involves the breakdown of civil order, hi-caps sound like a good idea. The 13-round hi-cap of the G21 offers almost twice the capacity of a 1911 and would presumably be adequate.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited August 03, 2000).]

Tecolote

A pistol would be a secondary tool. For all the scenarios you mention a rifle is best. If possible I'd want two, one in 308 and another in 223. For 308 I'd take a Steyr made FAL and for 223 a SIG 550 or Galil with mag adaptor to take AR15 mags. For pistol first a Glock 23 and second a Glock 19.

A solid 22 such as 10/22 would also be very handy.

------------------
"Get yourself a Lorcin and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol."

Calif Hunter

I'll stick with my .45 Commander. Reliable, concealable, powerful. Ammo is plentiful, as are magazines, spare parts, etc. My hunting rifles or even my scoped .22 will provide me with an AK or other "assault weapon" in short order, if TSHTF.

Glamdring

If you want a do everything including CCW for typical person plus bears and gators in a pinch then you have one choice. The 357 mag.

With Federal's 180 grain castcore bullet [a LBT under different name] @ ~1250 you have a load that penetrate to the brain of any North American critter.

With a 357 Mag loading with 125 grain JHP from Federal or Rem you have one of THE most proven goblin loads ever.

With a 38 Special 158 +P Lead HP [or nyclad] you have a low recoil effective goblin cartridge.

With full moon or half moon clips or 2nd cylinder you can shoot 9mm in a 357.

Or my choice is 1 or 2 small 9mm [P 11's or Glocks] with a 44 magnum with 4" barrel. Or you can get a longer barreled 44 mag and attach a sling to it [and a scope if you want]. And you can handle most anything a handgun can.

Mikey

In any situation other than social breakdown I would opt for my 1911's in 45 ACP ... but...

In the case mentioned, I would choose my Glock 17 (compatable with NATO "peacekeepers")and as many mags as I could lay my hands on. My long gun would be my AR-15 for the same reason.

I'm sure the new world order would provide ample opportunities for me to acquire ammo.

Mikey

David Scott

If you're happy with a hi-cap 9mm, keep the Ruger. It may be a bit hefty but it will feed ANY 9mm round, not picky about ammo at all, and it is as reliable as they come. A bonus is that hi-cap mags can still be had at low cost, so lay in several.

The Ruger can be concealed with the right holster and a bit of care. The Galco FLETCH holster and an untucked shirt or a jacket will do it. (The decocker levers make IWB carry painful unless you get a holster with a "high wall" on the inside. Heck, some people use a large frame 6-inch revolver with flared-bottom stocks for CCW.

Ledbetter

I'm relying on a Colt Combat Commander and a CZ-75BD, plus my Mossberg 590A1. Excuse me, I must go put on my web gear and sharpen my bayonet. :D

Regards,

Ledbetter

Chris D

Like Calif Hunter mentioned, spare parts are a must in this senario. So a Glock would be a good choice from that point of view (as would a 1911)

I would also recomend a 9mm, as ammo is plentifull, if not ideal.

Chris

ojibweindian

I would go with my Ruger P95. Why? Because it's reliable, durable, and has acceptable accuracy. Besides that, it's the only pistol I currently own!

9x19

Ferrocious furred critters and reptiles, beware! :D

I'll be carrying (well concealed in my YCS holster from M/D Enterprises), The Best Pistol Ever Built ~ my Glock 34. :D

------------------
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!

Russell92

I would have a hard timd deciding between my Glock 19 and glock 30. i really like them both and they would both be good for this situation. the G30 feels better in my hands than the G21 but the G21 would probably work best for this. you get a powerful round and a lot of bullets. also 9mm and .45 are going to be the most available rounds. i wouldn't choose something like .357sig if this was the situation since there isn't much of it out there if i need to get more.

i personally don't like rugers that much. i guess its because i always see them jamming at the range and my glocks and berettas just keep on shooting. i think of them as good guns for the money but not really good guns. for not even that much more cash you can get a very reliable gun such as a beretta or glock and for a bit more than that you can get an HK or sig.

if you want a lot of hi-cap mags beretta hi-caps are still readily available at a decent price (usually around $40) whereas glock mags are running all the way up to $100 each. but if you just want a lot of rounds you can buy numerous 10rd mags and practice speed reloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.