What packaging to ship a firearm?

shafter

What kind of packaging would you guys use to ship a revolver back to the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure my FFL is going to want to make sure the gun is empty before I seal it up.
Thanks

Brian48

Just leave whatever box you're using open until your FFL looks at it. You can always just tape it up at that point when the gun changes hand.

dogtown tom

shafter What kind of packaging would you guys use to ship a revolver back to the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure my FFL is going to want to make sure the gun is empty before I seal it up.
Thanks

If your FFL is going to mail it for you:
-don't seal the box....he needs the gun to log into his bound book.
-get a USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail box....free at the post office.
-don't use newspaper for padding...it crushes and offers little in the way of protection. Bubble wrap is ideal.

WVsig

I ship them in the box they came in. If I do not have that I have a few generic plastic padded cases. I then put them into a generic box or a UPS/ FED EX express box depending on the size. If I am shipping through a FFL I use smallest/cheapest Priority Mail flat rate box. I fill the open space in the box with whatever I have handy. Paper, packing peanuts or bubble wrap to keep the case from moving in the box.

WVsig

The problem shipping a firearms as an individual is that UPS and Fed Ex require it goes overnight, adult signature, insured etc.... This gets costly. It might be a better deal to pay the FFL $20 and then have him use a cheap flat rate box.

ClydeFrog

Plano, Dockosil, Bore-Store...

I've sent semi auto pistols to gunsmiths & out of state FFL holders with simple $5-7.00 Plano or Dokosil(check spelling) gun cases.
The plastic lined cases protect the firearm & related parts and most professional well run shops return the case(s) with the custom weapon.
Bore-stores or the treated socks could work too. See www.Sportsmansguide.com www.Galls.com or www.Natchezss.com .

Clyde