What Owning a Carry Gun Means To This Shooter

Amin Parker

Hi all,

I think of my carry gun as being the only thing that stands between me and something really horrible happening to myself, loved ones and possessions. Those of us that do carry have a responsibility to ourselves, our families, other gun owners and the public at large to act responsibly at all times.

We need to be able to use such a weapon should the need arise. It is important that we are completely familiar with our handgun of choice. We need to be able to draw from concealment and hit our targets quickly and be able to hit multiple targets at a rapid pace to ensure we have the advantage should the need arise.

For this to be possible we must practice. Both dry and live fire drills are important. Drawing the handgun and hitting the target at about 5 meters should happen in under a second. One should also get into a habit of double or triple tapping. Fast shots are the key.

Maintenance is something that is extremely important. It must be clean and well lubricated. Your carry gun must be properly inspected at least once every 2 weeks and every single time it comes from the range.

I always check the firing pin, extractor and magazines very carefully. If the firing pin in an auto goes you will probably not know it until its too late. Dirt that collects around the extractor will lead to malfunctions and faulty magazines are a nightmare. Of course a revolver has no magazines or extractor to worry about.

Whenever one goes beyond the normal field strip for a pistol, i recommend test firing the pistol before it goes back into duty. I would not replace the extractor for example and expect it to work. I want to see it work.

Take care of your carry guns and become familiar with them. Shoot them every time you visit the range and you will be in the best position possible should you need to use it.

Just my thoughts.

Daryl

I'm an old dog at this game, but it's good advice for anyone who doesn't already follow it.

Pretty similar to some of what my pa taught me about firearms as a kid.

Daryl

Amin Parker

There is a lot more actually. I just feel that it covers the basics so people do not become of those that never shoot and think their guns will magically fly out of their holsters and kill bad guys.

Its a lot of work.

egor20

Hello Amin

Excellent post, and I agree with every thing but possessions. I'm not going to use deadly force for something I can replace.

Other than that, your mention of some things we may forget (maintenance and training) is straight on.

Thank you.

Amin Parker

Egor how you doing

Most of my incidents were when bad guys tried to rob our business. We had a no surrender attitude because we know, as soon as they gain control we are in big trouble. It is for that reason that possessions are mentioned. Bad guys come for them and will murder as a means to gain it.

I did not mention how important it is to conceal your weapon. Brandishing your handgun is like playing poker with your cards facing your opponents.

I would like you guys to join in and add. We can learn from each other.

WESHOOT2

skewed

I try to act responsibly at all times except while driving.

I try to shoot many different handguns other than my own in case I have to use one that isn't my own.

There are very few humans who can actually draw from concealment and hit anything in under one second (or even two; I sometimes shoot USPSA matches from concealment, including full-cover garments). I prefer to start 'engagements' with gun(s) already in hand.

I rarely clean any gun. I check my stuff for dust bunnies. They work.

I insist on shooting any gun after servicing to confirm operation; mandatory.

I still own too many guns to shoot them all regularly, but most are similar if not identical; "pairs", "redundancy".

Just my personal practices.......wearing guns ain't a game.

We need to be able to use such a weapon should the need arise...completely familiar with our handgun of choice...draw from concealment...hit our targets quickly and be able to hit multiple targets at a rapid pace

This seems like a good place to stick this link without starting a new thread. Obviously this shooter was fairly proficient, and that familiarity with his weapon as well as his situational awareness paid dividends in this incident. The guy frequently open carries, LOL:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7603805.html

JerryM

My gun is not the only thing that stands between me and "tragedy." Common sense and wisdom play an even greater part on a day-to-day basis. If I did not own a gun wisdom would take care of me unless a 1 in a million happened. It could, but it hasn't. I have never needed a gun for defense.

My life does not revolve around my guns or even my personal safety. Life goes on, and my life is about serving Jesus, taking care of my wife and family, and being a good citizen.
Guns and SD are not unimportant, but must fit within my major priorities.

If one had a stroke that left him mostly paralyzed would there be nothing that stood between him and tragedy? I trust my Lord more than guns. He may have me use a gun, and I realize that fact, but I am not going to have misplaced priorities and trust when it comes to what happens in my life.

Regards,
Jerry

Amin Parker

If you have a cash business in South Africa you gonna need a lot of common sense and wisdom i tell ya. Here its not one in a million chance of something happening, you assume its gonna happen at any moment and prepare for it.

I have survived 8 robberies. Been shot at too many times, stabbed on numerous occasions, once right through my lip and into my gum.

If you can offer me a solution that does not involve the use of firearms for protection then i will consider it.

JerryM

Hi Amin Parker,
When in South Africa you have to do what is wise there. I have not attempted to make a point that a gun may not be necessary. However, I do not make a gun the focal point of my well being. If I did not have one in the USA where I live, I would not be afraid of being attacked. But I would be prudent in where I would go and when.

You know what your circumstances are, but I do not live there, and would not live there. I am fortunate in that I can live where I desire, but everyone is not so fortunate. I sure would not live where I had to take the risks you obviously have.

But no matter what else wisdom goes a long way toward anyone's well being. Wisdom might dictate carrying of a firearm. I do carry, but again it is not the center of my confidence in my well being.

Regards,
Jerry

spacecoast

If you can offer me a solution that does not involve the use of firearms for protection then i will consider it.

How about finding another line of work?

I agree with JerryM that a gun (and training to use it) is only part of the toolset for keeping oneself safe. Staying aware, avoiding compromising or dangerous situations, anticipating trouble, staying physically fit, etc. all have their place. Being able to use a gun to skillfully defend yourself from multiple assailants is only necessary if you are in a place to be a target of those assailants in the first place. Hopefully you never find yourself in that spot.

Seaman

South Africa is a tough place to live, recall a Zulu War expert who was murdered not too long ago (in front of his wife) by a gang of thugs.

Biggest challenge is that I like and shoot a lot of different firearms, and am coming to realize that it is important to be exceptionally good (fast and accurate) with only a few carry guns, as opposed to being pretty good with a lot of different guns.

“Drawing the handgun and hitting the target at about 5 meters should happen in under a second.” Bill Jordan did this is about a quarter of a second…I’m not quite there yet, but getting close.

As for Biblical references upstream, seem to recall Peter conceal carried…and used his weapon too.

Dave T

I ran my own firearms training business for 10 years after retiring from law enforcement. A good bit of my business was certifying people for our state's concealed carry permit. I also taught basic and intermediate self-defense classes.

One of the things I emphasized was in answer to the often asked question, what's the best gun for self-defense and concealed carry. My answer was always...the one you have with you! A tactical, customized and brilliantly accurate 1911 in the gun safe does you zero good. If a 2", 5-shot 38 Special or a 380 Auto is all you will carry, then learn it, know it and practice with it until you are its master.

Part of the concealed carry training was to emphasize the contents of the OP and more. Back then there was a renewal process every 4 years that included re-qualifying. I can't guess the number of people who would tell me, when they failed to re-qualify, that it was the first time they had shot their gun in 4 years. I would always point at their target and tell them it showed. Despite all the emphasis on training and practice in the basic class, most people just can't be bothered.

After a day of those I was always depressed.

Dave

chris in va

I think of my carry gun as being the only thing that stands between me and something really horrible happening to myself, loved ones and possessions.

Careful with that. Most states don't allow lethal force to be used in defense of material possessions, including pets.

JerryM

Unfortunately many police officers do not shoot except at the qualification tests. They are not very good either.
Jerry