What mini size gun should I consider

Alan0354

Hi

I put this post here because I am open to revolvers also. I researched a lot on mini size 380ACP or 9mm semi. I notice when the size goes down, reliability drops. It is natural that when size and weight is reduced, tolerance of parts become very critical, anything not perfect will cause problem. So far, I looked at small 380s like Ruger LCP380 and Kahr etc., they all seems to have problem in reliability. The only one that is a little more promising is the Glock 42 but I cannot get it in Kalifornia.

I even look at S&W 340PD revolvers because it's less than 12oz and can shoot 38+P. It's a little bulkier, but the lightest and absolutely win out in reliability department. Short coming is only 5 rounds and a little bulkier. Same hold true for Ruger LCR.

I am open for other suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

In semi auto pistols I’ve tried a lot of the smaller CC types over the last ten years searching for that perfect one. The first one I ever bought was a Ruger LC-9s, and it turns out it’s still been the best for concealability, reliability, and accuracy. But I continued my search for something with more capacity and have finally settled on a SA Hellcat and would say it almost rivals the Ruger other than it doesn’t quite conceal as well. Of course this is just my personal experience. One caveat though, I shoot handloads only and all my ammo is made to work in all my guns so I can’t speak to any results using factory ammo.

What is your definition of "mini"? When I see that word, I automatically think of miniature revolvers like those from North American Arms. If you are looking for 9mm or .380 ACP, I think you are looking for a compact, not a true miniature firearm.

Nathan

For pocket, I would choose something like the super light revolvers or a CW380. I have the CW380 and it is an excellent tool for shooting and easy carry.

For small holster, I have the old Shield in 9mm with a thumb safety and sights of my choosing. It is my main carry….well, it or my Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 9mm.

Red Devil

With training, the Sig P938 9mm is a good choice.

Small in size, but still heavy enough to shoot precisely.

147 gr. std. pressure defensive ammo is subsonic, comfortable to shoot, and very effective.

Red.

GE-Minigun

As a side note. I took a class couple years back, guy had a Sig 938 and hands about the size of a Silver back Gorilla…that gun disappeared in his hand. One thing that stood out was the time it took him to change mags…it seemed like an hour, granted the size of the gun and hands had EVERYTHING to do with it, but that scene stuck with me. Fast forward to a month ago and I pick up a Sig 365, while my hands are nowhere near as big as the guy mentioned the mag change takes some time to do, compared to a “regular” size gun…there is no hitting the mag button and the mag dropping out…I have to “change my grip” to get it out. Yes, there are larger grip modules, but that brings the size up to a compact size gun with a full grip. What I’m getting to…I don’t think people really think about the entire operation of the gun, I know I didn’t until I saw it in action and have done it…just something to think about.

WmMunny

Hi

I researched a lot on mini size 380ACP or 9mm semi. I notice when the size goes down, reliability drops.

I'm curious, this has some "sounds logical so it must be right" plausibility-- but is this contention in fact supported by any actual testing? Where did you notice it?

wizrd

Take a look at Mossberg SC1 I believe, - I bought one a while back, 2400 rounds thru it, not one failure to do anything yet! - I like it so much I bought two more of them, 1 for my wife, and another I gifted to my son. (I never bought 3 of the same guns before this.) A half dozen guys at my club have them - all of them love their reliability and accuracy. And a reasonable price.

seanc

For modern designed/manufactured guns, smaller doesn't mean less reliable. In the past, there were some cheap, low quality small pistols, but not put out by Sig/Ruger/Glock/etc.

Smaller can mean harder to control, but that's not a quality issue, that's basic physics. Why do you want smaller? That will be more helpful to anyone wanting to make a recommendation.

Alan0354

I'm curious, this has some "sounds logical so it must be right" plausibility-- but is this contention in fact supported by any actual testing? Where did you notice it?
From searching online and from knowledge in gun smithing.

Youtube has a lot of info, just type in the model and ask for reliability.

It also make mechanical sense, weight of the slide is very important in reliability. One example, Heavier slide makes the recoil spring less critical, but with mini semi, slide is very light. The recoil spring has to be very precise. If the spring is too tight, you can have FTE as the slide can't cycle fully. If it is too loose, you likely have FTF. It is much harder to control the consistency of the recoil spring in production, so you might get lucky on one and unlucky on another.

Also, the smaller the size of the gun, the angle of the bullet travel from the magazine clip into the chamber has to be steeper as the path is shorter. That increase the chance of the round get hung at the process particular JHP bullets. A larger gun can have a long travel path, so it doesn't have to be that steep so it's less picky on the kind of ammo.

This is just the nature of semi auto. Most of the heavy big ones are reliable, we talk reliability mostly on small size.

Jim Watson

How mini do you need?
Most of my pants will accommodate a LC9s or a G43 in a pocket holster. Mine are reliable with my carry and practice ammo, the G43 even shoots a light load for GSSF.

If you will wear a holster, the ante goes up fast. A friend who is a strong XD shooter won a Shield Plus and it replaced his small size XD IWB.

Doc Intrepid

Probably one of the better pistols that fits entirely within the envelop of a S&W J-frame is the Sig P365.

They do have 10 round magazines available, both with and without the 'extra finger grip' magazine base, to meet standards in California.

They come standard with tritium night sights. If you're into frame conversions, my understanding is that the Wilson Combat frame conversions are highly recommended. (Full disclosure: I don't have any problems using the gun stock out of the box.) https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GRIP-MODULE-WCP365-NO-MANUAL-SAFETY-BLACK/productinfo/365-SB/

For a near-daily carry 9mm pistol that is about as small as a 9mm can get, and still be both reliable and accurate in most shooter's hands, the Sig P365 is tough to beat.

There is an XL version that is slightly larger (longer bbl length), and offers some variance in trigger, ability to use Red Dot Sights, etc., but is not quite as concealable.

As I wanted a small pocket-sized pistol for concealability, the original P365 fit my specifications better than the XL version.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

YMMV.

Best with it.

Alan0354

Probably one of the better pistols that fits entirely within the envelop of a S&W J-frame is the Sig P365.

They do have 10 round magazines available, both with and without the 'extra finger grip' magazine base, to meet standards in California.

They come standard with tritium night sights. If you're into frame conversions, my understanding is that the Wilson Combat frame conversions are highly recommended. (Full disclosure: I don't have any problems using the gun stock out of the box.) https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GRIP-MODULE-WCP365-NO-MANUAL-SAFETY-BLACK/productinfo/365-SB/

For a near-daily carry 9mm pistol that is about as small as a 9mm can get, and still be both reliable and accurate in most shooter's hands, the Sig P365 is tough to beat.

There is an XL version that is slightly larger (longer bbl length), and offers some variance in trigger, ability to use Red Dot Sights, etc., but is not quite as concealable.

As I wanted a small pocket-sized pistol for concealability, the original P365 fit my specifications better than the XL version.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

YMMV.

Best with it.
Too bad I cannot get the P365 nor the Glock 43 in Kalifornia.

Shadow9mm

In my experience, ymmv, i stay away from 380. The ammo is more expensive than 9mm, and many of the designs lean towards straight blow back, resulting in harder to rack slides and recoil on par with 9mm. Again ymmv, but i left 380 by the wayside years ago.

Alan0354

In my experience, ymmv, i stay away from 380. The ammo is more expensive than 9mm, and many of the designs lean towards straight blow back, resulting in harder to rack slides and recoil on par with 9mm. Again ymmv, but i left 380 by the wayside years ago.
I know what you mean, I am just putting emphasis on the weight and reliability. The 9mm ones are at least 17oz. And same logic as that the lighter it is, reliability becomes questionable. Seems like a good 9mm is like 20oz, getting to the weight of my Glock 26 already which I have.

Well, S&W 340PD and Ruger LCR are the lightest of them all. I really want to put it in the pocket, not with a holster, so weight is important.

TruthTellers

If reliability is your top concern, then I would go with a snub revolver. For a semi auto that is truly mini, a lot have carried the P32 made by Kel Tec and had no issues. I guess the .32 beats them up a lot less.

Drm50

Personally I think Ruger LCP 380 is best for most people. It’s not a problem of bulk or weight. That makes it more likely to be carried at all times. It’s practical and affordable. Also dependable. I’ve had experience with several of them and haven’t had any issues except with one magazine. I’m sure you can get a lemon LCP, but if you go by the complaints in forums you wouldn’t buy anything new.

Siggy-06

I carry a LCP II 90% of the time. It's just quick and easy to slip into the pocket w/ holster and doesnt weigh much or get in the way. I had a Glock 43 and a S&W 642 that I could pocket carry too, but the ruger has them beat for weight and comfort.

Alan0354

Thanks guys, I really need to go look at the Ruger LCP, both the bigger and the smaller one. Glock43, Sig365 and even Kel Tec P32 are NOT legal to sell in Kalifornia. Choice are very limited.