What military rifle to buy for my needs?

brookstexas

I'm a handgun guy so rifles are a new interest. I want-

1-Military surplus rifle so I can get cheap ammo and pay not too much for the rifle ($400 range)

2-want something I can scope if I desired

3-Easy to get high cap mags

5- reliable, parts easily available etc.

6- AK? M1? Other?

7- if it comes in more than one caliber which to get that still has reasonable priced ammo?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swatman

In the 400 dollar range? reliable? I would say go for one of the AK variants. Ammo is extreamly cheap you can sometimes get a pack of 500 rounds in the 40 dollar range.
realiable even with Wolf ammo, plenty of spare parts out there and mags are reasonable. Can sometimes even find some good deals on 75 round drum mags.
For about what you are looking to spend, an AK would probably be your best bet and their reliability is legendary;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Given that set of criteria, go with an AR-15. AK hi-cap mags may not be available that long and cheap ammo could be iffy if imports are stopped. Same with parts.

There are AR-15/M16 parts by the ton, and ammo is available and reasonably cheap.

Is the AK more reliable? At one time, I would have said yes, but the AR-15 is much improved and now is as good, and is much more accurate with good ammo.

Jim

bullfrog99

i hate to disagree and start a flame fest, ya know ak vs ar but in this case i have to talk. M-16 mags won't be around forever either, remember that little ban on hi capacities... Ak mags are cheap now, in fact since GI m-16 mags are the only ones worth anything and they cost at least 20 bucks apeace, and ak mags are new for six bucks from at least one source, i'de hazard to say in the future AK mags will be cheaper too. Ar's may be more reliable than they once were, but if you beleive that they are as reliable as an ak. well i'll hold my tounge. I like ar-15's but you'll never convince me it's more reliable than an ak, more accurate yes, more ergonomic, yes, better sights, safety, trigger yes, more reliable, cmon at least leave us AK fans with something. lets just say it's reliable enough.

8200 rpm

Since you are new to rifles, you need to start off right!

CMP Garand. www.odcmp.com

-$400 delivered right to your door.
-Good iron sights, not like that useless, pathetic AK crap sight.
-Decent power beyond 300 meters; it's a rifle for God's sake!

This way you can become a rifleman, not just a rifle owner.

Now, if I can only follow my own advice...

DougB

Given your criteria, I'd have to agree with the suggestion to look into a SAR-1 (Romanian AK clone). They come with the standard AK scope mounting rail already installed (unlike most of the other AK-type rifles available). You can get one of the Russian military-style scopes or a Cobra red-dot. These slide right on and are easily removable. I'd have to agree that the iron sights and accuracy of the AKs leave something to be desired, but I don't think you'll find ARs for under $400. The Garand suggestion is also a good one, though the AK beats it in the cost, scope, high-cap mag, and ammo cost areas.

If you aren't stuck on having a semi-auto, you could get a whole collection of military bolt rifles and ammo for around $400 (like-new M48 Mauser with bayonet and all accessories for about $160, Mosin-Nagant M44 with folding bayonet for around $60, maybe a Turkish Mauser or Mosin-Nagant 91/30 for around $50, and 1,400 rounds of surplus 8mm ammo for around $100, and some 7.62x54R for the Mosin-Nagants for just a little more). This will keep you shooting for a long time.

Doug

355sigfan

, more reliable, cmon at least leave us AK fans with something. lets just say it's reliable enough.

I like ar 15 much better but I will conceed that an AK is more reliable if neither weapon is maintained. Thats why the AK flouishs in 3rd world countires because you can bury the thing pull it out 10 years later and it will shoot.
PAT

Gumbo

AK is OK

I would also suggest one of the SAR 1's or a SAR 2. Advantage of the 1 over the 2 is that there is most likely gonna be 7.62X39 long after the 5.45X39 runs out should that ever happen. Mags are cheap for both and built to take abuse. This also applies to the rifles. You could drop any one of these 50ft to a hard surface, dump mud in the ejection port and empty a full mag without a problem. These are not MOA weapons but they will hit a man sized target out to 300m I warn you though, they are adictive and the ugly little buggers just seem to multiply in your gun cabinet of their own accord =)

P

PreserveFreedom

Most of your good military caliber rifles with readily available high caps will run you more than $400. AR15 and Mini 14 are the first two that come to mind.

Not having personal experience with it, but doing a bit of reading, you may be well off with an SKS. Here's why:

1) 7.62x39mm is a nice cartridge and one of the least expensive you will run accross. It is usually less expensive than 223 Rem.

2) There are some good high caps still out there.

3) If you can't get a lot of high caps, you can get one quality 30 round fixed mag and a bunch of stripper clips. Three 10 round clips will top off a 30 round mag pretty quickly.

4) Rifle, high cap, and a case of ammo should be doable for under $400.

Nathan

Get the AR15. It will cost about double your price, but it will be worth it. It is reliable. Not sure if it is more reliable than the AK. Ammo is cheap. Parts are abundant. There are people out there who can transform this basic design into anything from a pistol to a subgun to a benchrest rifle to a full on battle rifle. Get the A2 configuration with the 20" barrel. It seems to be the most versitle. As for mags, governmet mags and Orlites work best. I use Orlites a lot. At first, I bought them because they were cheep and I wanted to see how the composite was made up. Now I can tell you that they are a great mag. They can be had for under $10, if you don't mind cleaning. Don't tell my wife, but I cleaned my last batch in the tub. Just scrub them out and give them a light coat of CLP.

AK's are a good battle rifle, but I'm not in a battle. For 100 + yard accuracy and fun, I would choose the AR15 everytime.

P

PreserveFreedom

Isn't it great that no one has yet questioned his statement that he needs this rifle?
That sounds like something one of our women would say. :D

swatman

I have YET to see any hi-cap SKS clips that are worth spit. unless of course your sks is machined to take ak Mags..then why not just buy an AK?
Thise 30 rounders for the SKS with a lip on them that are "removable?" I would like to see how long your fingers last trying to run a stripper clip down through the action with one of these in place ;)

Jamie Young

I agree with Swatman FORGET ABOUT FOOLING WITH HIGH CAP SKS MAGS. I went threw the BS and wasted money. Stripper clips aren't all that bad.

Dead

Lets see for 400 bucks you can do this

Get (1) AK variant (SARII - 240 :) ) (SARI - 270) or so.

(1) Yugo M48 Mauser in 8mm. $100

(1) Russian M44 in 7.62x54R. $60

So you can get a SAR2, M44, and M48 for alittle over 400 bucks!

1000 rounds of ammo for the SAR2 = 100

1400 rounds of 8mm = 75

440 rounds of 7.62x54R = 40- 45.

Mags are still cheap for the SAR2 also (30 rounders)

sleeping dog

Dead,
If hi-cap (or pre-ban normal-cap) magazines are a requirement, then adios to mausers, or any moisin-nagant variant. So the AK seems like the choice for the budget.
If there is a need to hit a target with some impact at 400-600 yards, then the moisin-nagant and mauser variant are good choices. The AK is not that good beyond 200 yds.
I like the Israeli-rebarrelled mauser in 7.62 NATO, just because the ammo is everywhere, and it's a mauser.
dog

700PSS Shooter

Depends what you mean by hi-cap. 8? 10? 10+?, 20?, 30? If the SHTF, what is the mags get lost? For this reason, my choices:

1. SKS!
No mags, lots of ammo, numerous add-ons for scopes, etc. Buy 3 or more for spare parts.

2. Finnish Moisan Nagant M39
No mags, losts of ammo, accurate, STRONG. Ditto parts.

3. Garand
No mags, available ammo, but not all .30-06 is appropriate for a Garand. Long range. Great sights. History.

4. ANY .22RF military trainer.
Ammo is plentiful, available most places, accurate, carry more ammo... well you had to ask... :D