What military gun is this

futurerider103

I'm with my fiancés uncle and he got this gun but he doesn't know what it is and neither do I so who knows what it is.
The stock is a sporterized stock so it's not original
5f24e1c7cf3327dd7e57134274fe8b67.jpg

20161023_155953.jpg20161023_155947.jpg20161023_160017.jpg

futurerider103

I was able to find it is a mauser 98 right after i posted but wasn't able to get back to the forum. I don't know if it is a small ring or a big ring but he gave it to me to take home and research and possibly take to a gunsmith to convert to a .308

dakota.potts

If it is indeed a small ring (I can't tell by the picture) you're probably not going to want to convert it to .308 for pressure reasons.

dahermit

If it cocks on closing it is a 93 Mauser (Spanish Mauser)...usually 7x57. If it cocks on bolt-lift, it is a 98 Mauser...usually 8x57. The bolt shroud looks like it is a 93 Mauser, not a 98. It is definately a small ring.

Paul B.

My best guess it either an 1893 or 1895 Mauser. If you remove the bolt and look at the bolt face, if the bottom of the face is square, it's an 1893. If it's round an 1895. There are some called 1916's IIRC, and they're, again IIRC just a later 1893, possibly with slightly better materials. The hole in the receiver ring throws me a bit but possible that was done later by a gunsmith to help with escaping gas problems inherent in those models.
There is some controversy considering the stength, or lack of strength in those rifles. I'm not sure as I've seen some converted to 7.62 NATO that were imported by Kimber, sporterized and sold as .308's. Supposedly they were checked and pronounced safe.
If it's still a 7x57 Mauser, that's a decent hunting round as is. Finding ammo can be a bit sticky but most large LGS have at least Federal 140 and 175 gr. ammo and it's fairly good stuff. My preference is for the Winchester 145 gr, Power point in factory but it's hard to find and only made seasonally. :mad:
On reloading, if you do reload, most manuals state to use only the starting load. There's an article in the November Shooting Times by Allen Jones who used to be the ballistician who did the load work ups for many of the Speer manuals. he stated that one could work up to the middle loads shown in most manuals and still be within the safe pressure limits for those rifles. I would have no problem using a Federal 140 gr. factory load in that rifle for deer, even out here in the west.
I wonder if there are any markings left on that rifle. Would help in identifying it better.
Paul B.

futurerider103

The only markings left that I can see one looks like a HF the bottom, on the bolt release lever looks like a diamond and the other is t28 on the bottom

I used my calipers when I got home and found the muzzle end to be a tight 7mm

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Looks like the 1916 upgrade of 1893 or 1895 Spanish Mauser.

There is a lot of controversy as to whether these are strong enough for .308. And 7mm Mauser will do anything a .308 will in a military or hunting rifle.

emcon5

The small ring Mausers were designed for a cartridge with a max pressure of ~56.5K PSI. The .308 has a max pressure of ~62K PSI.

If he wants a .308, sell that and buy a .308, you can get a Savage Axis at Wal Mart of less than he will spend converting, and it will be a better rifle in every measurable way.