what materials would equal a black bear skull?

cajun47

i want something to test ammo for black bear.

example, how many sheets of 1" plywood would equal a black bear skull?

mete

One of the problems with a skull of any kind is that it's a curved surface and deflects the bullet easily.
I think a better way is to pick a bullet that is heavy for the cartridge and has tougher construction.For example for a 44 mag a 300 gr bullet cast of a hard alloy and a flat point design like a Keith type or other that has a large meplat. That will give better penetration in any animal.

JimPage

I don't know of anyone who advocates a head shot on a black bear, or any bear. I wouldn't do it. Too "iffy." Odds of ricochet are high and the brain is relatively small.

Rangefinder

Most accurate simulation I can think of is a fresh, flesh-on pig head to simulate a head shot on black bear. Any slaughter houses in your area?

BUT---as stated, head shots on bear are not a good idea unless no other option is available and a shot has to be taken. Thick skull, angular deflection, and small brain cavity, etc... Lung/heart shot will shut the critter down much more reliably.

ClayInTx

cajun47 didn’t ask how to kill a bear; he asked what would equal a bear skull. How he goes about actually killing a bear is up to him.

Rangefinder gave as good a suggestion as I can think of. Back in my younger days when we killed and butchered our own hogs I recall that we used a .22 rifle at about two feet with the hog at a trough eating to keep it still and a shot right between but slightly above the eyes. Half the time it did not kill the hog but merely torqued it to no end as it ran to the other side of the pen.

This, of course, ensured that the hog was definitely NOT going to answer to, “Here, piggy, piggy!” anymore that day.

The next action was to shoot the hog at a distance. The distance was determined by the size of the pen because the hog now knew what that long stick-thing could do and would rapidly place itself at the opposite side from whomsoever had possession of the long stick-thing.

Meanwhile. Momma is shouting, “If you’re going to chase that hog all day you might as well forget any butchering today because that meat won’t be worth two cents after running all over the pen!”

Then the designated “marksman” would let the hog calm down and with a deliberate aim shoot the hog in the ear from across the pen. This meant we kids then had to drag that hog through all the crap (literally) in the pen to the gate and wash it off with water buckets (this was before REA and electricity and well pumps and water hoses) before scalding it in the barrel.

Ah, yes! The “good ol’ days”!

So,
Get a fresh killed hog skull `cause them hogs just might be harder to kill than a grizzly.

mete

Slaughtering animals - the point is not to kill it but to knock it out !!
The animal then has it's throat slit or in the case of pigs blood vessels above the heart severed .This bleeding of the animal makes the meat more palateble. Do it properly with a 22 .If the animal is excited the quality of the meat will be affected !!

Kreyzhorse

Most accurate simulation I can think of is a fresh, flesh-on pig head to simulate a head shot on black bear. Any slaughter houses in your area?

+1. A pig's head is likely as close as you'll get without a bear chewing on your arm.

A black bear skull isn't going to be all that different in thickness or ability to be penetrated (due to thickness) than a human skull.

One of the problems with a skull of any kind is that it's a curved surface and deflects the bullet easily.

Not only that, but the skull itself is going to be a good bit smaller than the actual head which is enlarged by musculature and fur.