What Marines Do While On Leave

recoil junky

And you thought they went carousing and tearing up the town! My Marine Zach (background) brought his bud Wong back with him on leave last summer. We spent the whole afternoon shooting! Zach has my SBH Hunter and Wong is shooting my Redhawk, both in 44 magnum.

OOrah!!

RJ

jason_iowa

Funny, in the Navy they taught me to shoot with an appropriate stance.

All in good fun thanks for sharing the pic. Love to see people enjoying revolvers.

Theohazard

jason_iowa said:
Funny, in the Navy they taught me to shoot with an appropriate stance.
I noticed their stances too, but I wasn't surprised at all. Depending on what their MOS is and how long they've been in, it's likely that they haven't received any pistol training at all. You don't even touch a pistol in boot camp or in most MOS schools, so usually it's up to your unit to train you if they see the need. And many units don't.

The Marine Corps doesn't care about pistols for the most part. They know that on the battlefield, your ability with a rifle is what matters, so that's what they focus on. Even in the Marine Corps infantry where most of us eventually qualified with the M9 (many Marines never qualify at all), the only actual pistol training we got was a Sgt. giving us an impromptu class that took about 20 minutes. That's it.

Co Th G

Total amateurs at handgun shooting with their Weaver stances and their heads cranked down to aim. But I'm sure they are arrogant enough to think they are all badass "operators".

James K

Member In Memoriam
Over many happy hours spent on the range, both as a "civvie" and as a LEO, I have always made it a practice to check another shooter's target before even thinking of offering criticism or advice.

I once had a gentleman explain to me, very carefully and slowly, that it was necessary before firing to get exactly the right angle for the legs, shuffle the feet to get the correct stance, hold the arms at a precise position, etc., etc. I listened politely, feeling that if I ever had to use my gun, I would be dead and probably buried before I got through his checklist and could return fire.

Jim

Theohazard

Co Th G said:
Total amateurs at handgun shooting with their Weaver stances and their heads cranked down to aim. But I'm sure they are arrogant enough to think they are all badass "operators".
Huh!? Where the heck did this come from? Why are you insulting these guys?

First, those aren't Weaver stances. And are you saying the Weaver stance is for amateurs? You might want to tell that to someone like Clint Smith.

And who said they're arrogant? They're just two Marines who have had extensive rifle training but probably not a lot of pistol training, if any. And that's fine; the Marine Corps doesn't care about pistols for the most part. But that's no reason to insult them and call them "arrogant", especially when you have zero evidence for that.

Co Th G, I can't understand why you think it's a good idea to come on here and insult the OP's son and his friend for no reason.

Theohazard

James K said:
I have always made it a practice to check another shooter's target before even thinking of offering criticism or advice.
Yeah, one thing I noticed when my platoon went to the pistol range for the first time was that most people shot pretty well despite having less-than-optimal stances and grips. The Fundamentals of Marine Corps Marksmanship were taught extensively to each of us in relation to the rifle, but apparently it translated to the pistol well enough that most of us were pretty accurate, even if we didn't have a good stance or grip.

jason_iowa

I was just poking fun at them. The weaver stance is acceptable for some things. It was widely accepted as the go to stance for many years.

Like I said all in good fun. I enjoy seeing people enjoying firearms. Especially my fellow veterans.

tahunua001

ahh General Matthis, the only man I ever met with stars on his collar that I actually respected. good man, I'm glad I was deployed when he was in charge.

and just for the OP,
shooting guns while on leave isn't just a MC thing. HooYah!!!

Rob228

As one of the few Jarheads that has had extensive pistol training, I'd invite Co T G to come to my schoolhouse to play, you will be humbled before you ever touch a firearm. Yes, this is where I instructed before getting sent into a commissioning program, Co T G, come play, I dare you. We'll talk about operators. Again, this is before you ever touch a pistol, the SOTG Dynamic Assault course is yet another kick in the man parts, its cool if you can hit a target, but can you do it when you have been doing it for 20 hours a day? Can you carry your team mate out of the kill house? Yeah, go run around the block and call me.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTLbpafwHA

salvadore

I wish someone would tell me what the proper stance is. Last friday I was out in the desert with my M-28 using almost the exact improper stance as the Marine in front double actioning targets out to 40yds. I thought the only proper thing swabbies were taught was how to chip paint. that's what I want to be when I grow up is smug.

[QUOTEOver many happy hours spent on the range, both as a "civvie" and as a LEO, I have always made it a practice to check another shooter's target before even thinking of offering criticism or advice.][/QUOTE]

I don't get that either, I would never offer criticism or advice if it wasn't asked for, unless someone was scary unsafe and I would probably just pack up and leave.

To the OP, you should be proud of anyone in your family serving, even a smugly officious sailor.

wow, I feel better already.