What makes the M14/M1a

Dobe

maintenance heavy? I have shot them on occasion, but confess I am not an M14 expert. I keep hearing / reading how they need to be rebuilt or "overhauled" often in order to preserve the accuracy. I am assuming rifles above the standard grade.

If this is true, why is it so?

Thanks

MTMilitiaman

Even a standard M1A is probably going to be as accurate as most need it to be, and likely remain that way for the life of the rifle. It isn't maintenance intensive or prone to breakage. During the Vietnam War, the bolt action M40s required more maintenance on average than the M14s. Most of the maintenance attributed to the M14 was due to the scope system it employed, which while innovative, was also complex and prone to breakage.

The National Match and Super Match guns are often bedded, because competition shooters demand a higher level or accuracy, and must maintain this strict accuracy standard with a lot more use than most non-competition rifles will ever see. And match rules, from my understanding, forbid newer chassis stock systems that eliminate the need for bedding altogether.

nbkky71

A properly accurized M1A will require some periodic maintenance to keep it in tip-top accuracy. If the rifle was accurized by a gunsmith that knows the M14/M1A platform, then they don't have to be 'overhauled' on a continuous basis.

My M1A started out life as a Springfield Armory loadded-standard model, but was upgraded to NM specs by a retired USMC 2112 armorer. Over the years that I shot that rifle it only had to go back into the shop once for some touch-up work on the bedding.

In order to preserve the tight, bedded fit you want to keep the action in the stock as much as possible. Normal cleaning on my M1A is to patch the bore, scrub the chamber and clean the bolt face. Every few hundred rounds I'll remove & clean the gas piston. Once a year I'll remove the action from the stock for a detailed cleaning. The only exception is if the rifle gets hosed by rain, snow or mud at a match.

If you're shooting the M1A in competition, the rifle must meet the criteria for the service rifle class (CMP Rules 6.1 and 6.2 - NRA rules 3.1 and 3.1.1). Stocks must be of USGI design but can be made of wood or synthetic materials. External modifications to the rifle are not permitted, but internal mods are allowed. Any bedding work must not alter the exterior dimensions of the stock.

4EVERM-14

nbkky71 said it right.
To maintain 600 yd accuracy limited stock removal, regular cleaning of the gas piston and keep solvent away from the bedding.
At 2500-3000 rounds a look-over by an armorer is a good thing. At 4500 rounds the mid range groups may start to open. Maybe an unexplained flyer. It should still be a hammer up close though.
There are alot of things going on when a shot is fired. Vibrations from the op-rod, gas system, even the stripper guide need to be controlled. This takes someone with intimated knowledge of all of the qwerks of the gun. The hardest part is finding someone experienced with the beast.
I don't think the rifle is necessarily maintainence heavy. It just needs special TLC if you are looking for peak accuracy.

Slamfire

maintenance heavy? I have shot them on occasion, but confess I am not an M14 expert. I keep hearing / reading how they need to be rebuilt or "overhauled" often in order to preserve the accuracy. I am assuming rifles above the standard grade.

Compared to an AR the M1a platform is more maintenance heavy. And the simple reason is that the M1a was designed to be an 8 pound rifle, close to the modern M16A3, but fires a round that produces 15 ft pounds of recoil, versus the 2 footpounds of a .223. (Numbers are approximate)

Any mechanism that has to absorb that much more energy, and yet weighs the same, well you would expect that mechanism to be more highly stressed.

Dobe

To maintain 600 yd accuracy limited stock removal, regular cleaning of the gas piston and keep solvent away from the bedding.
At 2500-3000 rounds a look-over by an armorer is a good thing. At 4500 rounds the mid range groups may start to open. Maybe an unexplained flyer. It should still be a hammer up close though.
There are alot of things going on when a shot is fired. Vibrations from the op-rod, gas system, even the stripper guide need to be controlled. This takes someone with intimated knowledge of all of the qwerks of the gun. The hardest part is finding someone experienced with the beast.
I don't think the rifle is necessarily maintainence heavy. It just needs special TLC if you are looking for peak accuracy.

I guess like most, I've always wanted one, but I think an AR-10 might be a little less maintenance, but maybe not as much fun.

30Cal

A custom built match M1A will hold up pretty well, although from time to time, something will get beaten into submission, moreso than on the AR.

The service teams rebuilt rifles every season, sometimes twice a season, and that's the way it went. They generally didn't use the most durable bedding schemes (because they would rebuild them at the end of the season anyhow). In service rifle competition, the civilians pretty much emulate what the .mil does (if the big teams do it, that must be the best way), so I think that's where a lot of this reputation came from.

MTMilitiaman

Maybe so, but this is all for competition. The limited role the military employs them in has gone toward more modern stock systems that eliminate the need for bedding altogether, and these systems are available to civilians. So really the only reason to mess with the bedding is if you are bound by regulation to do so. The standard grade rifles will provide more accuracy than most can use and are adequate for most applications. Those requiring more accuracy can dump it into a Sage or Troy chassis system and not have to worry about bedding at all.

SR420

I keep hearing / reading how they need to be rebuilt or "overhauled" often in order to preserve the accuracy.

If this is true, why is it so?

No, it's not true.

Also, I sold off my AR-10 to fund another M14 build...

Last edited:

Michael

Just an unsolicited 2 cents worth of owners observation ;)

I have an M1A supermatch built in 1985 which is today in the same configuration as it left the factory. Still shoots under moa with proper ammunition, have never been re-bedded or modified in any way other than a scope mount.
Of all the rifles I own it is the least maintenance sensitive.

And it's just plain fun to listen to all the different sounds it makes when you shoot it:D

30Cal

I have an M1A supermatch built in 1985 which is today in the same configuration as it left the factory. Still shoots under moa with proper ammunition, have never been re-bedded or modified in any way other than a scope mount.
Of all the rifles I own it is the least maintenance sensitive.

Under the context of a competition rifle (>1500rds in a season), it would need some work from time to time.

Dobe

A custom built match M1A will hold up pretty well, although from time to time, something will get beaten into submission, moreso than on the AR.

Thanks, That's pretty much what I've heard and read. I would still like to get one, and will put it on my wish list.

Dobe