What makes the 1911 so special?

vito

Not to sound insulting to the many who love the design of th 1911, but what makes it so special? Other semi's share similarities with the 1911 design but have additional features such as a decocker, and/or the ability to fire double action as well as single action. I had a Colt 1911 sidearm when I served in Vietnam a long time ago, and the 45 acp round gave me a sense of confidence even though I never fired the gun in anger during my tour. When I think about other semi's , such as the Ruger P90 (or 95 or 97 or 345, etc.) I fail to see where they are not the equal to the lauded 1911. Maybe someone can educate me regarding my ignorance on this subject.

MLeake

1) The trigger is better than almost any other trigger out there.

2) It's about as narrow as a .45 can get, and noticeably more comfortable to carry concealed than the majority of .45 pistols.

KurtC

I find the most endearing quality is that the design allows any idiot, with minimal instruction, to shoot it accurately enough for combat use. :)

spacecoast

A few thoughts come to mind:

• It's a very old design that continues to work well in a modern world, you can't say that about many machines
  • Most 1911s shoot a robust cartridge that is still very popular
  • It has a built-in user group of millions of military members who are passionate about their sidearms
  • It was used to do some pretty amazing things in combat situations
  • You can still use guns that were made 80 or 90 years ago with confidence

RickB

For many years, there were no "service pistols" that could match the 1911's combination of power, concealability, and ease of use. Any gun that was much more powerful was going to be bulkier. Any gun that was easier to carry - lighter, slimmer - was going to be deficient in power. There's still nothing that's as easy to shoot well, so we're waiting for something better to come along. I think Americans appreciate its "Americanness", which shouldn't be discounted. We tend to like things that have an enduring value, and are generally suspicious of johnny-come-latelys, especially when they claim perfection from the get-go. ;)

Scorch

Nothing special about the 1911, just that it came first and is super reliable. "Those other pistols" that have the same features copied them from the 1911, and the other features "those other pistols" have are not original either (decockers from the Sauer H38, double action from the Beretta 1955, double stack mags from the P35/Hi Power, etc, etc), they are just refinements of previous designs. But the 1911 design is very clean, very simple, very user-friendly (as opposed to opponent friendly, I suppose), and very reliable. I suppose, to be fair, Browning even copied/carried over many of the 1911s best features from the Browning 1905, but then they were refined and developed, yielding a very minimalist, very ergonomic, and very reliable package.

My question to you would be if you don't like the 1911, why not get one of "those other" semiauto pistols and not be bothered by the 1911?

Skans

The trigger.
The trigger.
The trigger......
Oh, and, it can be a fairly accurate handgun that fires .45 ACP.

egor20

In 22 years in the Navy it was the only handgun I carried, went to the armory once to sign out a sidearm, the Chief handed me a M9, i looked at him and laughed, he laughed, then handed me a .45.

nuff said

elmata

I think if Glock was around prior to WW1 his design would be celebrated just as much as Brownings 1911 but not equal. The 1911 itself in my opinion is loved so much because it saved the lives of people using it through out history. Its also very adaptable and customizable. Its a simple design and it works to this day. No design is perfect but not every design becomes a legend.

pgdion

It's long and rich history have proven it's one of those rare designs that just got it all right. This gives it a great collector value even if it's not an everyday shooter as it is for many (not for me, I'm one of those double stack 9 people, but I do love the 1911).

Best quote is right here:
I think Americans appreciate its "Americanness", which shouldn't be discounted. We tend to like things that have an enduring value,

And I will add ... that are well engineered and well built. The 1911 is almost the definition of that.

BigJimP

Its the Trigger .....

and primarily because the trigger is designed so it travels straight back / its not hinged at the top / so it has way less slack, less slop .... and it breaks cleaner and resets way more consistently than any hinged trigger.

Its also a very simple weapon - and extremely durable ...and broken down to a bare frame its easy to see how simple it is /and well built. There just is nothing to compare to a well made, well tuned 1911...( in whatever caliber you like to shoot it in ) although personally I especially like it in 9mm and .45 acp .

testuser

I think it has to do a lot with the venerability of the design, it's connection to US military history and parts availability. People that really like them usually comment about how slim they are and the single action trigger. Otherwise, there are some well known shortcomings as you pointed out.

Come to think of it, I feel the same way about the AR-15 and "everyone" seems to have one of those as well. Sometimes I feel like the only shooter in the US that doesn't want an AR-15 or a 1911...

Slamfire

fail to see where they are not the equal to the lauded 1911. Maybe someone can educate me regarding my ignorance on this subject

It is a dated design now. Hard to believe but when you carried the thing in Vietnam that M1911 was as good a combat pistol as you could get.

People love the M1911 for a lot of reasons, many of which are not rational. It still is a reliable, powerful, accurate sidearm. The fact it was used in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and all the little wars inbetween, endures it to many. I find it interesting that some are still carrying the thing today, at least I have seen posted pictures of Marines and their M1911's.

There are more modern designs with more bells and whistles. Still Americans love their M1911's.

MLeake

It depends on what you mean, Slamfire...

... I've owned and shot more modern handguns, particularly SIG and Glock, plus Beretta 92/M9 and Smith & Wesson M&P9.

I shoot some of them better than others, though none of them were bad by any means.

The only ones that let me shoot nearly as well (for multiple shot strings) as the 1911 are the Browning HiPower, then the CZ75.

So... I can put the first two or three rounds on target faster with a 1911, in a tighter group.

That's not irrational, that's just good fit.

If I need higher capacity, then I have other options. For regular carry, it's hard to beat the 1911.

rigby06

I think part of the reason that the 1911 has endured for as long as it has, one of the other member posted it hear on this forum, the 1911 is a work horse gun and very customizable. It performs well in its basic version and performs well through all of its possible variations’. I like the fact that I can make it more personal to me, rather than looking just like everyone else production line pistol out there. Don't get me wrong, the other designs work equally as well, each gun has its own purpose/job.

divil

In 22 years in the Navy it was the only handgun I carried, went to the armory once to sign out a sidearm, the Chief handed me a M9, i looked at him and laughed, he laughed, then handed me a .45.

Awesome. That scene belongs in a movie!

People love the M1911 for a lot of reasons, many of which are not rational.

Amen to that. But, there are big enough rational reasons to love it too- the slimness and the trigger to name two - and then there are rational-but-subjective reasons: ergonomics, safety (I have a lot of confidence in the grip safety), all steel construction (ok, not all of them I know) - personally I'm afraid of kabooms in guns made of brittle materials.

For me, what it boils down to is: I wouldn't change anything even if I could. I wouldn't trade the slimness for extra mag capacity. I wouldn't move the hard-to-reach slide release rearward because then I'd keep hitting it with my support hand. I wouldn't swap steel construction for polymer. I wouldn't trade the 1911's trigger for the advantages of double action. So even if I could build my ideal pistol, I think I'd end up with a 1911 anyway.

Alden

Something no one has mentioned is the angle of the grip is superior to many others, making it a cinch to shoot accurately.

jtb1967

People love the M1911 for a lot of reasons, many of which are not rational.

The movies and gun magazines help as well. They imply that all serious tough guys use a 1911!

Actually I like them partially because of the military history behind them, plus they're just fun to shoot :)