what makes it Super?

Rifleman1776

I have a Ruger Single Six, which I'm told is really a Super Single Six. What makes it a Super?
BTW, it is in stainless and the mag. cylinder is fluted. This was a short run as most mags. are not fluted. I'm told the fluted cylinder gives it some extra value to collectors but nobody has been trying to force big checks on me.
I added the Jay Scott imitation stag grips many years ago and like them very much, not slickery like some others.
I have given this gun much use. It is not as accurate as some match grade semi-autos but has done well for me.

Attachments

• Ruger SSS.jpg
    Ruger SSS.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 71

RJay

The original Single Six had fixed sights, blade front, groove rear. The Super Single Six had adjustable sights. Does that make it " Super ", don't know but that is the basic difference

Edward429451

I don't know if it applies to your weapon, but I have a 'Super Bearcat' and what makes it a Super is the steel frame instead of an alloy frame.

Duke City Six

I'm not sure, but I think having the extra magnum cylinder is what makes it a super, and a regular only has one cylinder for 22 lr.

44 AMP

Staff
Not sure what the factory is calling them today...

But 20some years ago when I got mine, the magnum cylinder made it a "convertable", and the adjustable sights made it "Super".

So what I have, while generally called a Single Six, is technically a Super Single Six convertable.

The Super Bearcat is super because of the steel frame, and the Super Blackhawk is super because of its features different from the Blackhawk (grip frame, ejector rod, non fluted cylinder, hammer and trigger, etc.). Today Ruger makes Super Blackhawks that look just like Blackhawks, but for generations, that wasn't the case.

For the Single Six, if it has adjustable sights, its Super!

Duke City Six

Right you are, 44 Amp. The extra cylinder makes it a "convertible." I should have thought of that, as I'm familiar with the New Model Blackhawk convertible 45 Colt/45 acp. As others have said, "super" apparently referred to the adjustable sights, but Ruger seems to have dropped that designation.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:

Claddagh

I believe that Ruger has started making fixed sight Single sixes again, a la the "Vacquero" line. Also "convertible" with aux. .22 WMRF cylinder, which strikes me as being of a good deal less utility when coupled with fixed sights, but YMMV.

My only fixed sight RF revolver at the moment is a New Bearcat. It took some careful tweaking to regulate mine to have POI and POA coincide at 25 yds for my ammo, eyes and hold. If I switch to Hyper Vel LRs, CB Longs/Colibris, or Shorts the POI changes radically and I have to figure out "Kentucky" corrections to hit where I'm aiming again. With a fixed sight convertible, I reckon it'd be even more of a PITA. IMO, auxilliary cylinders are most practical and usefull when you've got adjustable sights.

Rifleman1776

Thanks all, now I know the "Super" designation is, pretty much, pointless, I will stop using the term.
Although, for the fine service and enjoyment I have received from mine, I certainly do think it is a Super fine firearm.