What makes cylinder gap change depending on which chamber is in battery?

Arkhog

I passed on the Model 28 mentioned in a recent thread. I found a guy that bought a number of Smith and Wesson Model 66-1's from the state. I don't know which agency.

While standing at the counter I picked one that suited me and gave it the Jim March "Revolver Checkout". It was pinned and recessed and had a perfect bore. The side plate screws weren't buggered. The cylinder gap looked good using the eyeball against a bright light test.

My issue with this gun is that I didn't check the gap between the forcing cone and all of the chambers. I checked it on two or three of the chambers but not all six of them. I noticed something later at home.

On three of the chambers the gap seems uniform top to bottom of the forcing cone. The other three, in a row, are a different story. Those three show a gap at the bottom of the cone and NO GAP at the top. To the naked eye it looks as if the top edge of the cone is touching the top edge of the cylinder face for the chamber in battery. But, again, it only does this on three of the six chambers.

What type of issue am a looking at here and what is the fix?

Master Blaster

If its touching the forcing cone, it may have a burr inside the cylinder where the yoke barrel rests on the inside of the cylinder.

It also probably has cylinder endshake, does the cylinder move back and forth significantly then the trigger is held back and the hammer is down??

Slopemeno

If it's changing as the cylinder rotates, it sounds (and diagnosing problems like this is problematic at best) like the cylinder face isn't true.

I'd send it back to Smith and explain exactly what youre seeing.

Arkhog

Return to Smith?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

This gun is a 66-1 and was made before the Lifetime Service Policy was in effect. I think a trip to S&W could be expensive.

I did check for endshake at the point of purchase. It was very slight if present at all.

I am thinking the yoke tube. But, I am a shooter and not a smith by any stretch.

UPDATE- I have asked the guy for my money back. He is a co-owner and said that he would need to discuss it with his partner. If that doesn't work I will ask him to fix the gun that I bought or swap for another gun. Here is the silly part. The name of the place is John's Guns. It was John that told me that he would ask his partner. :confused:

His name is on the door.