What makes a reliable semi auto?

Fer

Why do you find some unreliable semi autos, some even from respected manufactures? Why is a certain model prone to FTF, STP etc, and others will shoot without any problems unless you get a dud or the shooter is not holding the gun strong enough, some reliabe pistols will shoot as long as you pull the trigger. Where is the difference, what makes a reliable semi?

cschwanz

I'm sure someone with more info will come in here soon and make me look stupid, but one of the reasons different models of different guns have various problems is partly due to the parts put into them or the way they are assembled. Mass produced guns will tend to have more issues than those assembled one and time by hand to make ensure a solid, tight fit. Some parts are better than others as well. cheap extractors will yield more issues than quality ones, etc.

What makes a reliable semiauto in my eyes? It goes bang every time i want it to, never when i don't. It comes close to hitting where i am aiming (nobody is perfectly accurate, especially me), kicks out the old shell, and feeds the next one, EVERY TIME! thats reliability to me

rzbakri

Im not quite convinced that reputable firearms can produce unreliable pistols. For every on that refuses to carry a reputable gun for reasons they feel are valid, there are just as many who love it and will not ever have a problem with it. I've spoken to a few people that wouldn't carry a Beretta if someone paid them, and there are people (me included), that would always have one in his possesion. Preference is what makes a reputable firearm the right firearm.

DWARREN123

Some calibers are hard to get to work right in some platforms. Frame or barrel ramp can make a difference as can chamber, magazines, angle to chamber and extractor. A good company usually makes good products but everyone has a failure once in awhile.

Searcher451

It's not so much a what as a who. Walther makes a reliable semi-auto pistol, for example -- and that's not meant to be a smart-alec answer. The Walther company has a long history of quality manufacturing and engineering excellence behind its products, with one design and improvement on that design complimenting the next design ... and the one after that. Walther isn't alone, of course, in demonstrating a historical lineage of superb firearms over time.

ASERO45ACP

Reliable gun is the one the that you clean and check to make sure it works before you leave the house or heading to the range. Its like riding a motorcycle you check all the safety futures before you go out and ride.

Bottom line its all about individual preference..

44 AMP

Staff
When you consider all the possible variables....

Sometimes you have to wonder why they work as well as they do. Autopistols are made to work best with one specific load, and work well enough with everything else. And it is that "everything else" that your "unreliability" usually comes from.

It is very rare to hear of a milspec 1911 from a quality maker choking on 230gr FMJ from a quality maker. Change the ammo, use aftermarket magazines, springs, change the specs on the gun (for accuracy, or any other reason), and things start to screw up at an increased rate.

The P08 Luger pistol is one example. The toggle action is very efficient, and works well, IF fed the right ammo. GI bringback Lugers had real spotty reputations for functioning, because for decades the 9mm ammo made in the US was underpowered by European standards.

Aitoloaders are made to work with a range of ammo, but that range is not infinite. For sime guns it is pretty narrow. Unlike revolvers, where anything that can be stuffed in the cylinder goes bang (nearly), autos are more picky.

The ammo is the most common cause of problems, either because it is out of spec, or it is not suited for the particular gun. Some guns are not made to feed everything. Some will feed empty cases. Most are somewhere in between.
The majority of the time when an autopistol doesn't feed right, (when it isn't the ammo) the problem is the magazine. And even good magazines can wear, or get bent and become less than good over time and use.

I have never had an autopistol that didn't jam. Shoot them enough, use enough different ammo, and sooner or later you will get a jam. I have had guns that will jam often, if not treated a certain way and fed certain ammo, and I have had guns that have gone several hundred rounds, or even a couple of thousand without any problems, until they hit a bad round. And you really can't blame the gun if you feed it bad ammo.

You can jam revolvers too, you just have to work harder at it! And again, most of the time it will be the fault of the ammo.

I have one of the little Jennings pocket .22s, (which I was given by a disgusted owner), and I keep it around as an example of its type. Sometimes this little gun will run a whole magazine without any trouble, and sometimes it jams nearly every other shot. I keep it to show what a pistol shouldn't be.

What makes a reliable autopistol? Only your standard of judgement. Given enough round, or crappy rounds you will get a jam eventually. Not cleaning and lubing the gun is another good way to have it malfunction. I am quite satisfied with guns that I have shot for hundreds of rounds (with good ammo) and have given me no problems. On the other hand, if the gun can't get though a couple of boxes of ammo without choking, it isn't reliable enough for serious use.

We used to say that after the gun was broken in, 300 rnds with no trouble was reliable enough to be counted on. It is an arbitrary number, and if you aren't comfortable with it, pick one of your own. There is no magic number that says if you can go XXX number of rounds you will never have a problem. All there is, is your confidence, and what ever number of rounds you feel is enough for your confidence in your gun, and your ammo.

I would be confidant of a pistol that ran 800 rounds of ball ammo without a hitch, but jammed 3 times in 150 rnds of hollowpoints, as long as I was using that same ball ammo. I would not be confidant using those hollowpoints.

bushidomosquito

No hammers, as few parts as possible, nice loose chamber that'll eat anything and nothing but a bang switch required for operation. Sound familiar?

HogManMagnum

a reliable pistol is one that is kept clean and oiled (but not over oiled), is broken in, and has had many different types of ammo run thu it. ive seen people that complain about their guns but they keep feeding it the same ammo that they know doesnt feed reliably in their guns. thats not the guns fault

keep it clean, dont over-oil it and use common sense. run a MINIMUM of 50 rounds of your chosen defense ammo thru the gun before u commit to it.

that said, any manufacturer can produce a lemon...

cheers and good luck