What makes a gun the most concealable?

Drjones

Obviously there are a lot of factors that play into concealment; size, shape, (of the gun and the carrier!) carry position/method, etc.

For me personally, I would find my Beretta 96 easier to deal with if it had a shorter barrel. (I'm talking like an inch or so, not 1/4" like the C models...)

When I wear it in front, the barrel is poking my other "barrel." When I wear it behind my hip, I feel like the barrel is poking out a bit as well. Not to mention the grip does NOT make a good cushion between my body and whatever chair I happen to be sitting in...So it would also help if the grip was shorter.

That said, what SINGLE factor do you think helps make a gun more concealable?

a) Length (barrel)

b) Thickness

c) Grip length

What do you think?

70-101

I find "Grip Length" a major factor for me. Example, when I carry my 239 it conceals very easy and is my normal summer carry firearm. When I install a factory ,Sig ten round mag, instead of the regular eight round mag. I can no longer conceal this handgun. And were only talking less than 1" 1/4" inches folks. It's just like I am trying to carry my Pro.....:(

L

Larryect

Since you limit response to one thing, I would say grip length. I found my PPK to be MUCH easier to carry than my Sig P239. Too bad I completely lost faith in the PPK :( I also believe thickness would be my second runner-up.

Larry.

Blackhawk

d) All of the above.

It's got to find a "body pocket" to tuck into, and that's a function of YOUR body and the overall size of the CCW. Holsters are part of the problem as well. Some of them add considerable thickness.

But you're not just thinking concealment. You're also thinking about undectable concealment. Ain't no such thing, so think disguised concealment. "He's got something there, but I don't know exactly what..." That's done by breaking up the outline of the gun so it becomes, "That guy's got a really big wallet...."

Zundfolge

Grip length ... definitely! (The grip is what prints when you bend over) Followed by thickness and then "smoothness" then a distant 4th; overall length.

the "smoothness" factor is pretty darn important ... the main reason I carried a Steyr M40 IWB over my Makarov is 'cause the Mak had lots of bits that poke you (now I have a Kahr MK40 ... best of all worlds :) ).

eagles1181

"When I wear it in front, the barrel is poking my other 'barrel.' "

Sure hope you don't and a AD. That would be very painful (and your wife would probably not appreciate it either.

NotQuiteSane

Attitude.

I once walked through a northern CA store with a unconcealed revolver (forgot I was wearing it), but because I didn't feel guilty (after all i did nothing wrong), no one said a word to me.

NQS

New_comer

I'd have to say grip width followed closely by its length.

For IWB carry, the "body cavity" becomes more forgiving to the thinner weapons.

IMO, the lenght could be addressed by canting, very doable when the cavity is generous. ;)

Captain Bligh

My opinion is grip length first, followed by pistol thickness second. Nothing prints like strapping a brick to your side. For me, barrel length has a minimal effect on concealability.

RJ

yzguy

I say thickness, but for me weight is a big consideration as well (not pulling my paints down all day) but that is comfort, not concealment...

22lovr

It also depends where you "conceal" it...

I am a pocket carrier. I cannot single-out one primary factor in pocket concealment. It is a combination of FOUR factors:
1-barrel length (how long is your pocket?
2-thickness of slide/cylinder/grip
3-handle length (how wide is your pocket opening?)
4-weight (a particularly heavy piece, if not properly secured with a good holster, will flop around unnaturally when walking, kneeling, or sitting.)

I simply cannot point to a single factor; they operate as an inseparable grouping when it comes to concealability.

9mmepiphany

grip lenght, because it is what pokes out your clothing

your method of carry could make the other measurement more important, but much of that can be addressed by the gear you use for carry.

for IWB carry, the longer barrel helps to stabilize the gun

Russian Furry

The major factors for me are thickness and grip length.
Also, Blackhawk, there is such think as undetectable concealment (undetectable to sight, not touch). You can not spot a bulge or bump anywhere on me, even though I am always armed. The key here is correct selection of gun/holster/close combination.
It is quite simple actually. Thin gun in the strong side belt holster WILL NOT print in any way (unless you bend over) if you are wearing suit jacket. The same thing goes for properly fitted shoulder holster. The thing about shoulder holsters is that they really have to be fitted to you, much like a tailored coat.
Other options may not require upper cover garment. Holsters such as Thunderware or Smart carry can work very effectively if used correctly. They do not work with jeans well, nor do they work with flat front trousers (which is a pity since flats are in style right now) Pleated dress trousers work ideally with these holsters, unless you put full size service pistol there.
Confidant holster made by Kramer also works quite well for compact pistols, provided it is light enough. Good pocket holsters in combination with very compact guns is another viable option. The key here is to select trousers with wide pleats and deep pockets. The shape of the bottom seam of the pocket needs to be the same as the bottom of the holster. Otherwise the gun will move around in the pocket and tip in different directions. The only problem with pocket holsters is that frequently they will come out of the pocket during the presentation of a gun. This can be quite embarrassing, if not deadly.

Eric Larsen

Correct...no single correct answer. As a hoster maker...Ill say they are very important but not the most important thing...its always a combination.

For IWB carry, grip length is the single thing that will print first....MOST of the time. Concealability of a gun is up to the gun, holster, body shape and size of shooter and dress/cover.

Pocket carry..really depends on the gun, holster and style/size of pants in question. All are equal for pocket carry for importance.

Shoot well

GlenL

The next gun I buy will need to have a shorter grip length if I'm going to conceal. I use an IWB at 3 o'clock and my full-size USP conceals well, except when I bend over or crouch (so I don't do much of that). The end of the grip always prints when I do that. I've tried wearing at 5 o'clock, but my grip prints even when I'm standing.

Glen

ctc

I have to agree with what seems to be a majority

"Grip Length"

And also followed closely by thickness. With that said I recently switched from a Beretta Mini Cougar,8040F, to a Colt Defender as my primary CCW. The Mini Cougar's grip is only 4.5" while Defender is 5".

The Defender is about 6oz lighter, 1/2" thinner and 7 rounds of .45 vs 9 rounds of .40. After carrying the Defender for several months my hip and right side really feel much better.

-- Chuck