What makes a gun club the best/good

SoCalNoMore

Good day everyone,

To save yourself from reading my semi-long post, my question is "What makes a gun club a great club?"

I will try to make this a sort as possible. I was formally involved in competitive auto racing as a participant, crew member and official. I have gotten older and was looking for a sport that would suit my desires for competition, tinkering, tweaking etc. I found it, USPSA, Steel Challenge and 3 Gun tournys. I only wish I would have gotten involved 20 years ago. I am 43 now.

As with all things I love, I get involved 100% and give more of myself than I probably should. I am doing the same for USPSA shooting. I love it more than I can write about.

Here is my dilemma, I can not find a gun club/range that supports competitive shooting with the same professionalism/enthusiasm as I had in NASCAR. I know that the places I am visiting are local clubs mostly for fun. However their lackadaisical approach to the sport and to their members leaves a lot to be desired. Lack of communication, board members incessant complaining, little interest in making new members feel welcome are just a few things I think would be desired by a great club.

Short of volunteering (becoming a Certified RO) for everything I can and simply not listening to the whining, what can I do to encourage the club to advance itself? Assuming it does of course.

In your opinion, what makes the place you participate in competitive shooting the best experience?

I would like to take your ideas/opinions and assimilate them into the club I am currently a member of.

Please don't take this as a rant, I truly am looking for ideas to help improve the place I love to spend my spare time.

Enjoy the day

g.willikers

I, too, discovered the shooting sports after years of motor sports.
It depends on the level of competition, just like racing.
The higher levels of matches are run very well.
Have you tried a state or area level match, to see?
As far as improving the local club, it can be a struggle.
Becoming one of the movers and shakers is about the only way.
One local club, that I was involved with, didn't come around until the serious shooters actually took the club over.
In addition to running the matches, they became the officers and board members.
Me, too.
Not many people are going to be that motivated, though.

Last edited:

4EVERM-14

It will be important to assemble a group of interested people. One person can be the organizer but it's to much work for one. With a dedicated company of like thinkers a positive plan can formulated to achieve your goal.
Have a plan which includes costs the club would assume, costs the shoot will cover and potential profits for the club. Income for the club will help the sell. A small scale test shoot might offer skeptics a chance to see what the plan involves.
But be prepared to face the good ole boys that only want a place to burn ammo. Tying up a range with organized shooting is sometimes viewed as a waste by those only interested in plinking.